batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  6:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Karla, some may be fertile some may not but if your younger roo is mating with them you might get lucky & have all of them fertile....I allow mine to sit up to 26 days...some say thats too long but if I am not sure when the last egg was laid by her I want to give them all a chance...if you remove the ones the other is laying each day she is fine in there with the broody hen...she won't hurt the eggs the broody hen is laying on & is really giving her some good company....no need to move the broody hen if she is not upset over the other coming in to visit so to speak...as for moving the broody hen when the babies are hatched...how high is the nest off the ground? I have had babies up to 4 feet off the ground when hatched & jumped down on their own just fine but I have tons of bedding hay under & around the nesting boxes for just that reason...so they babies don't get hurt......I do recommend once they are hatched to find a place or cage that is left open for them...just put feed & water there & momma will get the idea to nest with the babies there or near by.....but if you don't do this don't worry momma will find them a safe place, just make sure if you have a hanging water container or and feed that you set some on the ground so the babies can get to it safely.....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2012 :  03:54:42 AM  Show Profile
Might help to ease minds too, that a fertilized egg won't start to develop a chick until a hen begins to set for about 3 solid days.

So that's 3 days worth of body heat at about 90 to 100 or so degrees. So if we all continue to pull our eggs every day, we don't have to worry about "killing" the chicks.

I sometines get worried customers. And after taking an egg incubation seminar here at the zoo that had us breaking open viable eggs at various stages of development, there's not a lot to worry about until about the 10th day anyway.

Thanks for the great photo BTW!
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2012 :  07:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info ladies. Michele my boxs are about 3 feet off the ground so I will leave her where she is. My young roo is about 8 months old and I have not seen him showing much interest in the girls yet, the other roo has been gone only a month and he was always interested in them, so this will be a suprise. Next question for you is if nothing hatches how long do I let her sit or will she give up on her own? And thanks for the reminder about the water Michele, I had a major senior moment and never gave that a thought.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  11:06:10 AM  Show Profile
We ended up with just one chick, the other egg must not have been fertilized or something else happened. Either way we still have one chick! I'm guessing it took about 21-23 days for it to hatch from when I switched them out for her own un-fertilized eggs. Which is a bummer because she is a Golden Laced Wyandotte and the egg she hatched was a RIR. Oh well, maybe I can get a rooster so next time she gets broody she can actually hatch some of her own eggs! Now we are just waiting on our last duck. One of our hens got killed on her nest so I took the eggs and I'm trying to hatch them in an incubator but I think it got too cold for them the night she was killed but we shall see! Best of luck Karla with your little hen, hope you can get some litle chicks!! Oh, and my hen sat on that last egg for about 5 days after the one chick hatched out. After it didn't hatch for 5 days she quit sitting on it and rolled it out of her little nest. Now her and the little chick are ranging the yard for bugs. It's really cute, I was worried that she would keep on sitting on that egg but she didn't! :)

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

thebyrdhaus
True Blue Farmgirl

520 Posts

Patty
Columbus Oh
USA
520 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2012 :  2:23:00 PM  Show Profile
We raise Coturnix quail, homing pigeons and chickens. I prefer Marans and Black Australorps. I have Silkies, Old English Game chickens and recently added Seramas to my flock. This year I have hatched in the incubator over 50 doz chicken eggs, about 10 doz ducks, and hundreds of quail eggs. My favorite of all the fowl are the quail. Though I am afraid the Seramas are going to become pretty special.

Patty #1840

http://ladygonegreen.blogspot.com/

A rind is a terrible thing to waste. Compost.

When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.”
-Jesus in John 6:12 NIV Bible
Go to Top of Page

Sugar Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Pamela Jean
Sugarloaf Ca
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2012 :  1:07:32 PM  Show Profile
I have 8 hens and sorry to say a nosy rooster LOL, and 2 ducks.

Stand for What's Right!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All things Chicken and Fowl Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page