prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  09:46:49 AM  Show Profile
so, DH and i bought one yesterday at our favorite flea market because our newer model was getting on our nerves.... you just can't clean them well enough! DH said you could use this cast iron one on the stove-top (i thought it was probably meant for over the fire directly).

well, we tried it this morning after we cleaned it up well... it didn't work! it stuck horribly and we didn't get a waffle out of it. I'm not sure if we need to season it better? Does anyone have any ideas or any helpful websites that might steer me in the right direction on how to use this thing properly?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  11:25:38 AM  Show Profile
You need to season it really well. I like to warm it oil it and and just stick it in the oven to cool MJ has an artical in one of the Mags I would have to do some digging but I bet by the time I find it some one else will get it too. Oh by the way was there any oil in the waffle mix? That will make a difference and how hot was the iron when you poured your first one in. they need to be very hot drops of water will sizzle right off.

It will be great once you get it seasoned.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  11:25:54 AM  Show Profile
When I saw your post I was sooooo jealous!!! I've never actually used one, but I do use a lot of cast iron. I would suggest re-seasoning it. Maybe even adding some melted butter or bacon grease to the plates the next time you decide to try it out. Keep us posted!! What a treasure (and will be even better if you can get it seasoned enough to produce waffles).

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  1:26:55 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Sarah/ Chad's Girl.
I had a cast iron waffle maker 'till it fell apart somehow. Wish I had another-
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  1:44:07 PM  Show Profile
yep, there was oil in the recipe and we always put plenty of oil right onto the plates (coconut oil works wonders!), but i'll bet re-seasoning it will help. i'll let you ladies know if things work out after trying it again!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cast iron waffle maker Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page