Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  12:58:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi there! I am on a mission to move from Los Angeles, CA to anywhere in the rural United States! I have been here all of my life and long for the wide open spaces. I need an education and I am turning to the SISTERS for help. Where do I go? How do I get there? What I should know before I head out? I am not a farmer, but I would like to be self-sufficient. I am not looking to raise cattle, but some chickens and goats would be nice. I want to live at the end of a little road and have a little house with a little land. Am I dreaming? Is there some coffee I should be smelling?

Sitting in a high rise with a view of Los Angeles dreaming of a ranch

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  1:15:55 PM  Show Profile
There are a million places to go! Do you want all four seasons? Mild or harsh Winters? I would sit down with a piece of paper and write out what it is you want and how you can achieve it. DO your home work, there is a lot of work involved to be self sufficent. Go to your library and check out some MJB Lifebook, Foxfire books and Counrty Women by J.Tetrault and S. Thomas. Read as much of MJB, Mother Earth News and Countryside magazines as you can get your hands on. Keep a journal of what you plan to do. Will you need to work? You would have to be where the jobs are. Remember, a farmgirl is a state of the heart. Oh, and welcome! You are in the right place, and I hope I have been helpful, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  1:56:28 PM  Show Profile
OOOhh!!! Does anyone remember, one of the farmgirls was offering a sort of "farm girl" internship. Wish I could remember who it was. Seems like they were in Nebraska.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  2:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for your helpful thoughts! Heading out to do some research now. The one thing I am certain of is I better pick some place with a climate I will be able to tolerate - a little snow but not 40"! Don't laugh.... I have never driven in the snow. I can do this, I know I can. It doesn't have to happen overnight.

-cyndy

quote:
Originally posted by Lessie Louise

There are a million places to go! Do you want all four seasons? Mild or harsh Winters? I would sit down with a piece of paper and write out what it is you want and how you can achieve it. DO your home work, there is a lot of work involved to be self sufficent. Go to your library and check out some MJB Lifebook, Foxfire books and Counrty Women by J.Tetrault and S. Thomas. Read as much of MJB, Mother Earth News and Countryside magazines as you can get your hands on. Keep a journal of what you plan to do. Will you need to work? You would have to be where the jobs are. Remember, a farmgirl is a state of the heart. Oh, and welcome! You are in the right place, and I hope I have been helpful, Carol

Farmgirl #680!

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  08:03:02 AM  Show Profile
Cyndy - I applaud your direction! There are so many things you can do and Carol gave you some great advice! Taking Sarah's ideas one step further, to get some OJT you can apply to be a 'farm sitter', and take care of other people's farms when they leave for a few days or weeks. I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but if you are willing to travel, this could potentially be a good income. Another thing is search for rural properties for sale on the internet. I noticed that Mother Earth News (I think) had an ad about property sales in one of their magazines. And I strongly agree that you should make a wish list and a pros and cons list for your property. And read everything you can get your hands on. I like the book The Backyard Homestead, which covers options for a place beginning with 1/4 acre and going on up to larger parcels (I think it's around 5 acres, if I'm not mistaken). It's a good beginners guide. Good luck, and definitely keep us posted on your journey!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  08:41:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh, move to North Carolina! It's the best! I live in Virginia, and it's all right, but I am from North Carolina and I love it there. We have our horse farm there, as we live 3 miles from the VA/NC line on our 170 acre crop farm. (Yup, 2 farms, one in each state.)
If you don't move to NC, try somewhere in the south east. That's my opinion! :) (No offense to other farmgirls from other places, now. This is just my 2 cents.)

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  09:15:18 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday, I subscribed the Mother Earth News; Midwest Life and Hobby Farm Home AND I ordered "Made from Scratch: Discovering the Pleasures of a Handmade Life". I like the idea of Farm Sitting. I might be more of a liability than a "God send" at this point -- not knowing a thing. I really love everyone's ideas and suggestions! It is very helpful and appreciated. I am already feeling closer.

Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  10:25:09 AM  Show Profile
Your place sounds lovely! Because I have my family on the west coast it is not too probable that I will head east too far. I have 4 children and 3 grandchildren and I can hardly wait to have them visit me on the "farm".
quote:
Originally posted by Hosanna

Oh, move to North Carolina! It's the best! I live in Virginia, and it's all right, but I am from North Carolina and I love it there. We have our horse farm there, as we live 3 miles from the VA/NC line on our 170 acre crop farm. (Yup, 2 farms, one in each state.)
If you don't move to NC, try somewhere in the south east. That's my opinion! :) (No offense to other farmgirls from other places, now. This is just my 2 cents.)

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  10:39:05 AM  Show Profile
Cyndy,
I grew up in Los Angeles also-around San Pedro and Redondo Beach. Came to North Carolina in 1969 for vacation, my father was from this area, and I loved it. Spent the entire summer on my aunt & uncle farm, they raised beef cows, soy beans, and silage. I did not want to go home but still had another year of high school. Back to San Pedro for another year then back to North Carolina. Then I was back and forth for a few years. My move was easier because I had family here. When I was younger I was much more out going, kinda shy now, so making friends was easy for me then. I'm with Hosanna, North Carolina is beautiful and the weather is nice. We have all the seasons with just enough winter and just a little too much humidity in the summer. I have driven across the US many times, up and down the west coast and the east coast and we have so many beautiful places that I would love to live in. We live in town but have a place in the country that I would love to move to. I am having a bigger garden this year, and learning things where I am so I can be self sufficient when we do get to retire and move to the country. Keep your vision and learn as much as you can where you are. All things are possible.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  10:50:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy! One of the most interesting parts of your story is that you have gone from being outgoing to shy. I find that fasinating in that I have become more shy as I have gotten older. You would think we would get less so - with age comes confidence? I loved your story in whole and in part and I like the thought of having "a bigger garden this year". It can all be gradual. - cyndy

Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy:

I would love to hear more about the other cities you have seen as well on your many trips! I would also like to hear more about how you "live in town" and "have a place in the country". How far are you from the country place? -Cyndy
quote:
Originally posted by KathyC

Cyndy,
I grew up in Los Angeles also-around San Pedro and Redondo Beach. Came to North Carolina in 1969 for vacation, my father was from this area, and I loved it. Spent the entire summer on my aunt & uncle farm, they raised beef cows, soy beans, and silage. I did not want to go home but still had another year of high school. Back to San Pedro for another year then back to North Carolina. Then I was back and forth for a few years. My move was easier because I had family here. When I was younger I was much more out going, kinda shy now, so making friends was easy for me then. I'm with Hosanna, North Carolina is beautiful and the weather is nice. We have all the seasons with just enough winter and just a little too much humidity in the summer. I have driven across the US many times, up and down the west coast and the east coast and we have so many beautiful places that I would love to live in. We live in town but have a place in the country that I would love to move to. I am having a bigger garden this year, and learning things where I am so I can be self sufficient when we do get to retire and move to the country. Keep your vision and learn as much as you can where you are. All things are possible.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  1:54:31 PM  Show Profile
wow, cyndy! i find it wonderful that your dreams of living in the country are so strong! i agree with the other gals to start small, maybe do some farm sitting, volunteer, whatever you can to get your hands dirty and see how much you like it! do you have any friends or family in the country you could stay with?

i might also suggest looking at some places in the country within CA or nearby states, especially if you want to stay near family. there are plenty of absolutely beautiful places in CA in the country! I was stationed in Lemoore in the San Joaquin Valley while i was in the Navy... that whole central valley is farmland with wide open spaces and mountains and the ocean nearby! or hey, if you found vineyards interesting, too, there are so many places to try learning plant culture in CA!

Keep coming back to this community for help, inspiration, and motivation! we're here for you!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  5:48:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cyndy! Seems we North Carolina Farm girls agree: it's a fine place to be! I live in the mountains of Western North Carolina, and it is so beautiful here! This area has 4 seasons, and moderate temperatures. If you like the ocean you can be at the beach in 6 hours...the best of both worlds.

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  5:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Countryside Magazine is an excellent source. It always has inspiring stories about people who left the city behind and moved to the country. It's a realistic approach to it, too, and you can order back issues.

When I think of moving out of PA, I really ponder this because in PA we don't have earthquakes, tornadoes are very rare, floods happen if you live in a risk area, but basically there aren't any major type catastrophic weather. Oh, no hurricanes either like you get on coasts. We do get snow but usually less than 30 inches is normal for a season. If you don't want snow at all, you will have to look further south. But then they have climate issues, like high humidity, bugs. Just research and visit the area in every season before you move anywhere.

Hug a horse or a dog today!
Go to Top of Page

simplecomfort
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Tawnya
Rural Orrick Mo
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  9:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Send simplecomfort an AOL message
you can do it!! i grew up in the city but longed for country and moved to my first farm 3 years ago. if you are that type, most of it comes natural. i had never done a garden then put in a 1 acre garden, bought chickens and turkeys and peacocks, etc. i have been becoming more and more self sufficient over the years. mostly lately when reading these posts. Missouri is good, but hot summers and harsh winters. You are welcome to come here or stay on your way if you need to.. good luck!

"Thank God I'm a country girl"
Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  9:16:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Thank you for your help and your generous offers. I can honestly say that I have never been to Missouri. Missouri is good and historic as well. A great place to stop on a tour of the country looking for a new home. Thanks again!
quote:
Originally posted by simplecomfort

you can do it!! i grew up in the city but longed for country and moved to my first farm 3 years ago. if you are that type, most of it comes natural. i had never done a garden then put in a 1 acre garden, bought chickens and turkeys and peacocks, etc. i have been becoming more and more self sufficient over the years. mostly lately when reading these posts. Missouri is good, but hot summers and harsh winters. You are welcome to come here or stay on your way if you need to.. good luck!

"Thank God I'm a country girl"

Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  9:18:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey Princess:

Thanks for the obvious thoughts about California. After I read your reply, I got on the internet and started looking at Santa Rosa, Napa and Petaluma. Gorgeous, Gorgeous Gorgeous.

quote:
Originally posted by prairie_princess

wow, cyndy! i find it wonderful that your dreams of living in the country are so strong! i agree with the other gals to start small, maybe do some farm sitting, volunteer, whatever you can to get your hands dirty and see how much you like it! do you have any friends or family in the country you could stay with?

i might also suggest looking at some places in the country within CA or nearby states, especially if you want to stay near family. there are plenty of absolutely beautiful places in CA in the country! I was stationed in Lemoore in the San Joaquin Valley while i was in the Navy... that whole central valley is farmland with wide open spaces and mountains and the ocean nearby! or hey, if you found vineyards interesting, too, there are so many places to try learning plant culture in CA!

Keep coming back to this community for help, inspiration, and motivation! we're here for you!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  9:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie:
I ordered the Backyard Homestead for my Kindle so I can read it on the way into downtown LA on the bus. Gonna take advantage of every second! Thanks! - Cyndy
quote:
Originally posted by paradiseplantation

Cyndy - I applaud your direction! There are so many things you can do and Carol gave you some great advice! Taking Sarah's ideas one step further, to get some OJT you can apply to be a 'farm sitter', and take care of other people's farms when they leave for a few days or weeks. I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but if you are willing to travel, this could potentially be a good income. Another thing is search for rural properties for sale on the internet. I noticed that Mother Earth News (I think) had an ad about property sales in one of their magazines. And I strongly agree that you should make a wish list and a pros and cons list for your property. And read everything you can get your hands on. I like the book The Backyard Homestead, which covers options for a place beginning with 1/4 acre and going on up to larger parcels (I think it's around 5 acres, if I'm not mistaken). It's a good beginners guide. Good luck, and definitely keep us posted on your journey!

from the hearts of paradise...

Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  9:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carol!

I ordered MJB's Lifebook from her website yesterday and subscribed to Mother Earth News as well! If reading alone could make this happen, I am definitely on my way. Thanks! - cyndy
quote:
Originally posted by Lessie Louise

Farmgirl #680!

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  02:21:49 AM  Show Profile
I admire you for wanting to be more self sufficient. I live in a small town [well just outside of] in North east Indiana. Our winters are hard, we have discussed moving more south as we approach our empty nest days. But here I have just under three acres. And I have a lot of animals and we are very self sufficient. We raise,butcher,freeze,can, and dry so much I barley spend 200-250 a month on food form a store for a family of 6! Now my feed bill is higher, I spend app. 90 every other week or so! But we have horses,chickens,turkeys,llama,pig,dogs and cats!
Now, I love all the suggestions here, you sure did get a lot of advice. I do think you would love to check out rural living in CA, just to be a little closer to kids and grandkids.
I would love to suggest a book,The Backyard Homestead. I bought it this weekend in a Cracker Barrel in Southern Indiana. It has all kinds of great self sufficient ideas for little acreage and little experience. I do wish it went inot more details are things like butchering, but is still full of great info.
Enjoy, and keep us posted on your progress!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  04:55:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Angie! I ordered The Backyard Homestead tonight for my Kindle and look forward to reading on my way to work. I have an hour's bus ride to Los Angeles everyday and it gives me plenty of time to read. I have been reading spirituality books because of my misplaced lifestyle, but The Backyard Homestead may be the answer. Thanks!

Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  06:27:16 AM  Show Profile
Hey Cndy, I am from Petaluma, and would love to go back. Can't afford it anymore. All the advice you have recieved is awesome, you will be busy for awhile. I thought I was pretty self sufficient, until I started looking around the forum, and I have learned sooo much. This is just such a cool place to learn something, if you have a question just ask. Any one have any ideas on what to fix for dinner? {lol}, Carol

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  06:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Cyndy, The author of the book Made from Scratch has a blog site. It deals with the trials and tribs of looking and finding your own place. I really enjoy reading her blog. If you can start from the beginning to get the whole idea. Her site is http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/ Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:15:16 AM  Show Profile
Suzie:

Thanks for that info! I am headed there now. I really appreciate your insite.

Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:56:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Carol:
I really love Petaluma too! Its kinda funny, but once you leave California its very difficult to come back unless you win the lotto. BTW: I love your "buns" tag line. Very cute.
Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

Cyndarella
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cyndy
La Crescenta CA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Angie:
I read my Kindle this morning on the bus. I love The Backyard Homestead. Its just what the doctor ordered. I was actually praying for more traffic!

Great idea!

cyndy

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Get Me Outta Here! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page