Next Page
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic What do you barter? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  10:48:05 AM  Show Profile
My goal in 2010 is to try to barter as much as possible. So far I have bartered for all my next years winter supply of firewood. (which is a huge deal for me because I live alone and do not have the ability to cut it and I use alot of it in the Michigan winters with the woodstove as my only heat source)
I also just canned beef stew ans bean soup for a friend in exchance for beef.
I have been trading homemade granola for eggs. What do you barter?

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  11:20:09 AM  Show Profile
I haven't done much but my MIL has bartered quilts for medical care...
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  12:58:08 PM  Show Profile
If you have craft items,material,patterns, ect. that goes well. Just about anything. Just try it out and you'll find what is going or not. Have fun.

Brenda

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  3:03:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Rea,
What sorts of things would you be willing to barter for your granola??
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  6:20:05 PM  Show Profile
I barter art lessons for kids with a couple of friends. One husband is going to fix my porch. I trade lots of homemade things for supplies, herbs, etc. I have traded jam, herbal remedies, sewing and am working on a piece of wall art for a trade. I also trade with some of my guy friends.... pies or cookies for help with things. it's only as limited as your creativity. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  05:19:35 AM  Show Profile
I barter eggs for fancy coffee at our locally owned coffee shop.

My neighbor and I swap suppers for helping each other with various projects.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  07:24:48 AM  Show Profile
Most bartering is good but my SIL loves to trade his work--he is an auto Mechanic--and has gotten some wonderful things. But my Daughter tells him it would be nice to get money once in awhile. A new TV doesn't pay the bills. LOL MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  12:07:54 PM  Show Profile
I''ve bartered my homemade vanilla extract, along with some bath products. I hope to start bartering for cookbooks and fabric soon.

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  10:46:55 PM  Show Profile
I barter my Energy Healing & Wellness Coaching sessions, handmade herbal soaps,herbal products, books, plants, etc. I have recieved art lessons, canning jars, books, material, yarn, landscaping. I love bartering. It's exciting and I hope to do more in the future. I have alot of rubber stamps, mostly education related, as they were my mother's and she retired from teaching. Any interest?

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Healer

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2010 :  2:11:19 PM  Show Profile
I am not crafty at all so I would barter granola for some handcrafted items...

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  04:57:04 AM  Show Profile
I barter my sewing services for whatever I can. So many folks either don't know how to sew or they "hate" to sew.

Joanna #566
JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  12:01:44 PM  Show Profile
I have even bartered for a perm at my local salon stylist many years ago-all you have to do is ask!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  1:05:12 PM  Show Profile
I have bartered my midwifery related fees ( gyn care, fees towards homebirth) for help when I moved, handmade items, childcare, massage, haircuts, graphic design, horse training, horse chiropractic, and also clothing items at a client's store. Before I was a midwife, I bartered my homemade pickles for just about anything. People just always said yes! Now I keep them all, LOL! I've bartered homegrown veggies and homemade dairy products towards the cost of other services, kind of like getting a discount. I bartered house cleaning for car repairs when I was in school and drove an old clunker. I did some sewing in exchange for childcare.
I was once in a barter network in my local community, up until it closed when the founder moved away. We traded in " Aces", a kind of " currency." There was a whole system for keeping track, and the deal was, you could earn Aces and then spend them with anyone in the network. It did not have to be an across the board trade with the person who needed goods or services from me. We had over 600 members. I was in school, and did home health care, housecleaning, and events help to earn the Aces. I got all manner of trades- care with a Naturpath/ Homeopath, restaurant vouchers, gifts to give , office supplies. I even got a gift certificate for a hotel room in San Diego, that I gave to a friend who was going there with her family, and had done me a million favors.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  2:01:53 PM  Show Profile
I wonder how someone could start a community barter???

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  4:30:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm sure there's a model out there somewhere. The one I was in AVEC , closed in 2000 or so. We did have to pay a small fee every time we earned ACES. That helped pay for the cost of renting the central office, which had a showroom. I just don't remember if we paid a joining fee or annual dues. Whatever it was, it allowed me and my son to have health care when I was a single mom and in school.
Try googling " how to form a barter network" I have to unload hay and feed horses.
Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  4:33:28 PM  Show Profile
But check out www.barternetworkinc.com!

Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  08:00:34 AM  Show Profile
I spoke with people at the local health food store and they are pretty interested!

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  10:09:24 AM  Show Profile
I have bartered sewing and horse back riding lessons. I think with this sight the best thing to do is list what you have and see if anyone is interested. I have done sewing for someone else to do bead work etc. Magazines for embroidery patterns. Everyone has a skill of some kind you just have to find someone interested.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2010 :  06:32:06 AM  Show Profile
I would like redwork embroidery patterns. I've been wanting to try this for a while. I have cookbooks, a few scrapbooking supplies, mostly paper, small fabric pieces for scrap quilts and probably lots of other stuff. Just tell me what you would like.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  12:55:59 PM  Show Profile
I love to barter...will always be willing to barter for anything in my etsy shop. I barter fresh milk for hay, and fresh lettuces and home baked goods from time to time, fresh eggs for peas a few times, I love bartering! I even traded babysitting for wild rice one time in Minnesota years ago.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  10:55:59 AM  Show Profile
I have bartered Massage for many things I have been interested in. Also I have bartered doing hair and nails for my husband to go to the chiropractor.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

lulu
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Connie
Geuda Springs Kansas
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2010 :  1:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Oleta,
What are redwork embroidery patterns?
Connie

LULU

Take care and write soon.

When you wish upon a star...Jiminy Cricket
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  08:08:24 AM  Show Profile
day there was a post on craigslist.

yes what are redwork patterns? i have to say this is where i live. i barter and barter. i traded yesterday for a 300 gallon water tank for our dexters. i traded 22 pounds of pork and 50 dollars. he would have traded for all pork but i do not want to run out. gotta move first then pigs. we sure do not want a post that says pigs on the run lol. i trade all resources here. if i see something for sale. i call and barter.soap plants beef chicken pork turkey eggs our labor our tractor and dump trailor our tools for use. the list is immense. i also dog sit do grooming, chores on farms clean houses. it is the small things that make the big ones count.we traded block work for our first 2 cows. our best mama coes. buttercup a mini jersey and hippo dexter belted naturally polled.i would trade my shoes if i thought it was a good deal for all. its a hobby. since i am a talker this is easy as pie.i have SO much fun. i do it every am online. i am so known for it people call me to network what they have to barter.just my way sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  08:36:33 AM  Show Profile
I barter my jewelry....I also barter homemade jam and wine for freshly baked pita bread!
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  5:19:36 PM  Show Profile
I barter with my chiropractor, hair cuts for adjustments. Unfortunately I haven't had time to go and I need it more than ever now.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  8:34:40 PM  Show Profile
We barter quite a bit. Eggs for barley and red wheat, machine quilting for lamb chops, quilting lessons for an hour massage--that was the best barter ever! Hauling for baling hay.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Make It Easy: Previous Topic What do you barter? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page