farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  8:42:50 PM  Show Profile
Just out of curiosity, for those of you who have young' uns...what kinds of chores are your kids responsible for around the house? And how old are the kids who are doing them?

My kids have both daily and weekly things they are responsible for (vaccuming, setting and clearing the supper table, helping out with meals, cleaning the bathroom, emptying the garbages, etc.) They will be 6 and 7 years old in the next few weeks.

Some people think we ask way too much of our kids, others think we are too laid back and should have them doing more. I was just interested in hearing what other people are doing. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

OhioValley Farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Lisa
Waterford OH
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  02:28:30 AM  Show Profile
Amy, My children, ages 9 and 12, are doing many of the same things yours are. Teaching them to be responsible is a good thing. Here is one of our favorite clean up activities. We set the timer on the stove for 5 minutes. As soon as I say go, everyone, including me, takes off around the house picking up, putting away, and cleaning anything we can find. We are all in high speed the whole 5 minutes. When the timer goes off, cleaning is done. So much gets done in those five minutes. The children never complain because of the time limit set.

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might...Ecclsiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  04:16:46 AM  Show Profile
People in my area think my kids do too much. Hubby thinks they do too little! I have 2 girls 12 & soon to be 9. My oldest is learning to do laundry. They both clean bathrooms, fold clothes, sweep, vacuum, clean up after pets, dishes, dust, wash down cabinets when needed. They share a paper route for spending money. But funny, they haven't spent any of it!

Our oldest received a pay-as-you-go phone from her Grandparents for Christmas and will be paying her own bill out of the paper route money. Her friends are just amazed at that! She'll be the only one paying her own phone bill. Hubby & I believe in instilling a good work ethic and think this is a good way of her learning how to handle money as well.

Now they're not good at doing these chores on their own. Believe me! Lots of nagging goes on here! One day they (I hope) they will look back and thank me. (maybe?)

Oh, cooking too. That's one job they do enjoy.

I do like the timer idea!

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  05:34:03 AM  Show Profile
Amy,

My second-grade daughter gets a small weekly allowance. She has a few things she MUST do, to earn the allowance on Friday. 1. She has to do all her homework each week with no fuss. 2. She has to make sure her toys are put away and the bathroom is kept neat (no towels on the floor, etc)when she is done using it. 3. She sets the table for dinner each night, and 4. she puts away her own laundry. I wash and fold it, but she also likes to help with this chore. She will also help around the house when I am cleaning, such as vacuumming and windows (she loves to do windows) but I don't expect her to do this, she does it because she wants to "help Mommy". She helps take care of the pets. I feel like she is part of the family, so she should help out. Next year, I think she should start making her own bed, as well. I don't want her to do too much, I feel kids should have balance, and time to "just be a kid", but certainly doing a few chores is teaching them good values and to be responsible, and to be independent.

Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  2:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Amy, I'm 14 and I do laundry, sweep, walk the dog, do dishes, and keep up my areas of the house (my desk space, my room). I also help out with meals. I don't think this is too much for your kids to be doing. So many kids today have poor work ethic because Mommy and Daddy do everything for them. There's nothing wrong with doing a little to help out.
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  3:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Amy, Well I am 15 and do a little bit of everything! I take care of my goats ( that includes buying there feed, cleaning up after them, worming them, feeding them, playing with them, etc. I wanted goats so I payed for them with my own money and take care of there every needs.), weed the driveway, mow the lawn, keep my room clean, clean the bathroom, do dishes, rake the drive way, clean the flores, clean windows, bake, cook, you name it. :) We all help eachother out in my family. :)
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  6:58:20 PM  Show Profile
My kids have 4 rotating jobs (pet helper, bathroom helper, kitchen helper and trash helper) they have been doing these same jobs that rotate each Saturday morning since they were very small. I do add a little bit more responsibility as they get older (they are 15, 13, 13 and 13 right now) Pet helper feeds and waters the dogs, gathers eggs and does any pet clean up etc. Bathroom helper cleans the bathroom (we only have one) Kitchen helper sets the table, sweeps and any other kitchen chores that come up ...it is the favorite....trash helper dumps trash, takes big can to the road on Tuesday mornings and is responsible for cleaning the stairs area which can be bad if someone isn't on it. They have their regular room cleaning, snow shoveling,laundry helping, dish doing chores too, and gardening in season....We work together alot.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  10:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Amy, Hi my name is Amy too.

My daughter is five. She has chores and gets an allowance. People think I am too strict. But she is learning about money and responsibility. It doesn't hurt her to pick up her room, set the table, water plants, give the dogs their food, etc.

Plus if she wants something, I let her earn it. She learns about being a good consumer. Toys that break on the way home from buying them and how she feels when she loses something she had to work for teaches her much about life.

She even is a good helper at school. I get so many compliments on how helpful she is and how dependable she is when she says that she'll do something.

Have a wonderful day.
Go to Top of Page

gr8tfulmom
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

Sarah
South Haven MI
143 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2010 :  12:43:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy, I posted about this in the fall, http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36274. My kids are pretty much doing the same things. I've taken back the chickens as dd2 has been in sports until dark since fall (cheer and BBall)...don't tell her but I think the chickens are happier ;) Ds has really stepped into wanting to help and has been a wonderful little picker upper!

Farmgirl sister #779

http://symbioticstitches.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Kids and "chores" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page