Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  07:11:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Shirley- I think if you work with her on her ground manners and such the respect should transfer to you also when you are on her back. How much time do you get to spend with her on a daily basis?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  09:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Her contentment can depend on you and how much time you spend with her. Horses are very social but they don't have to have other horses exactly. I have seen them bond with lots of other animals. Dogs, cats, goats, donkey's we even had one once that had a rooster that she was special friends with. She does need some sort of company. The problem is they don't have anyone to watch their backs while they are sleeping. I have even found that in the barn there is always one awake watching over the others. Having the unusual experience of working with two different large herds of horses with all sorts of horses thrown together and also have just a couple of horses of my own I am fascinated with behaviour. I have seen them flat out asleep in their stalls with a cat sleeping on top of them. Winona use to do her sleeping with a rooster sitting on her butt. We had one that shared her stall with a rottweiler. We had a blind one that had a donkey for a seeing eye dog. If you have the means to do it the best solution for you would be an older companion only horse. One you don't have to worry about training and riding etc. Donkey's make very good pasture companions and eat almost nothing.
As to your question about her discontent making it difficult for you to ride I would say probably not. Do a bit of ground work with her first, see how she responds and then try riding her. If she is well trained her attention will only be on you when you are riding. If she has had time to setting a short ride in a paddock or round pen would be a good start, then slowly branch out.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2010 :  6:10:48 PM  Show Profile
I agree whole-heartedly with Beth and Alee (as always because they are both full of useful and practical knowledge). Ground work is a great way for you to build your confidence with Miss Dakota. It allows you to get to know her better and helps to establish the relationship between the two of you. The more time you spend working with her on the ground, the better you will feel about getting on her back. You pick up things about her personality, likes and dislikes, and it gives a huge sense of accomplishement to see the horse complying with your commands. I wouldn't worry too much about her wanting to be with the other horses. Horses are like that. They are herd animals and they are very social. But if you are spending quite a bit of time with her in any capacity (grooming, ground work, etc) she won't really need the other horses, but she will still be interested in what they are doing. Goats make great pasture buddies for horses if you feel she is lonely and you aren't able to spend as much time with her as you'd like.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Shirley
Kentucky
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2010 :  06:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Flower's MSN Messenger address
I don't know if its the sunny weather and 75 degrees the past couple days but Dakota seems to be calmer, she comes to the gate when she hears the back door open..and not just at feeding time..I have been leading her around the pasture and having her back up and park..she loves being groomed. It would appear that she is adapting now.. Yesterday evening I started up my riding and horsemanship lessons that I had begun last spring. This will help me alot to become more confident and knowledgeable in a practical way..even tho I have been reading books etc..nothing replaces the "Doing". How much daily time spent with Dakota would be considered ideal? Also I would like to give her a bath but I dont think she cares for the hose to much..cause when I went to fill up her water she went away when she heard the hose water. Any tips on bathing? I have a collie and a maltese dogs..a cat and four chickens..and they have been getting acqainted. she seems to prefer the chickens..she doesnt mind the dogs as long as its not feeding time..if they go around her while she is eating she gets furious and lets them know. But other than that, I think she likes the company and activity going on with all the critters.

Be a blessing and have a Happy Spring

Edited by - Flower on Apr 07 2010 7:29:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Riding Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page