Page: of 3

Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Shirley
Kentucky
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  10:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Flower's MSN Messenger address
Greetings
I am looking to purchase a Tennessee Walker horse..I am a very novice horse and riding person. I have started taking some lessons in horsemanship and riding. It is just a personal pastime pleasure..I have just always loved horses but been a bit fearful of riding after a negative experience as a teenager. However once I moved to Kentucky at age 50 I decided I must overcome this fear to enjoy a passion. I would welcome and appreciate any advise whatsoever about riding, horses, purchasing a horse, etc..Thank you..have a great day everyone!

blessings to all

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  10:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Shirley!

I board my horse at a Tennesee Walker breeding ranch here in Montana. They have some excellent horses with very sweet temperments. I have ridden one of them that is a gelding and I guess you could consider a cull- he has a harder time gaiting than the other horses but I got him into that running walk and I have to say it's an amazing experience! It's so nice to be able to ride and not get bounced around!

One thing I would say is take some lessons from a reputable instructor before buying a horse. Let them know you are overcoming a fear issue so they can work with you on it. I know you will do great! Also make sure that said instructor teaches you about basic horse care. In a perfect world it would be great if they could become some sort of a mentor that would be around to help whenever you need it. That is what I have out at my barn and I think she is great!

One warning thing to look out for- if two horse people are offering vastly different opinions on what is "okay" or "normal" I would seek more information. Basic horse information and injury recognition should be the same across all disciplines.

As for buying a horse I wouldn't purchase anything until it has been completely examined by a vet, you have ridden it at least twice, and has been appraised by an outside source (such as the vet). You will want to make sure the horse has a good mind especially since you are overcoming a bad experience, you also want to make sure they have decent to good conformation or you could run into soreness/lameness issues in the future, and make sure the horse has good feet and isn't already lame.

I would also consider what age you want to buy. I wouldn't recommend a young horse- try going for something that is a little older- say 7-10 years old. Horses can have useful careers especially when it's just light riding- well into their 20's so an older horse who has been there and done that might be just the key for you.

Oh and one more thing- I would go out and visit a prospective purchase horse several times at different times of day and different weather to see what their attitude it like as much as possible.

Hope that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  5:48:45 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Alee, an older horse would probably be preferable. I would look at it more than once and if possible make a surprise visit. I have also had the experience of people leasing the horse for a short time before purchase in order to make sure personalities match. Absolutely have a vet check it out and also a good farrier. Some people love mares because they can have a little more attitude and personality. Others swear by geldings because they hare calmer and more even tempered. I love both because they do have different personalities. My horses are all between 15 and 21. I started with horses when I was about 40 and am now 53. I love my older guys, they all load easy, they have never run away when the spooked at something and they don't want to exert the energy it would take to buck me off. But, they still have enough energy to give me a really good ride.
I don't have to spend alot of time training and can spend my time enjoying myself rather than fighting with my horse. If I weren't 50 I would maybe like a younger horse but not now.
I do have one more thing to say, LOL The first book I ever read when I started wanting a horse was "A Good Horse is Never a Bad Color". I think that is the best advise ever given to someone thinking of having a horse. Give yourself some general guidelines but be open when you are looking around. Don't tell yourself I only want a bay and turn down the perfect sorrel because you want a bay. OK, I am done now.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Shirley
Kentucky
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  05:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Flower's MSN Messenger address
Thanks so much for the advise and information.. I really appreciate it.. I have one more question...What would be considered a reasonable price for an older mare or gelding?

blessings to all
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  06:19:02 AM  Show Profile
While I have you horsey people posting. I was needing advice also. My grand daughter is 9 and has been taking lessons since she was 7. She keeps begging for me to buy her a horse. She is now jumping and doing alittle barrel racing. There is a large pony that is sleek and fast that is being boarded at the barn where she rides. I ask the owner if Kaylee could ride her during a lesson. The owner said that she could. Kaylee did real well with her. She likes the faster horses. This owner says that we could lease "Kasha". Okay, here is my question. I have noticed that Kasha is sometimes not being ridden because of a foot injury. What happens and I lease her, but Kaylee can't ride her because of this injury? Am I going to still be paying even though she can't be ridden?

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  07:46:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Gena- if you lease a horse you pay whether the horse can or cannot be ridden or not unless the terms of the lease say differently. I wouldn't suppose they would make that provision unless the owner was out there so often as to determine if the pony was lame or not that day, you know what I mean? I wouldn't get into a lease until the horse has been checked by a vet of your choosing ang getting a professional opinion.

Shirley- It depends on the area. The horse market is really depressed right now so you might be able to get a good horse for not too much. I would check on www.dreamhorse.com and would stay away from craigslist.

Just a side note- I wouldn't buy a Tennessee Walker unless a good impartial vet takes a really good look at the horse's feet- especially if they are a retired show horse. Some of the breeders used to do something called soring (very bad) and used a shoeing type that can be extremely hard on the hoof just to get an exaggerated movement in the show ring. The industry has been sanctioned and their shows raided by USDA investigators. Not all breeders did do this but a lot did. So just please keep that in mind because a horse who has been through that type of ordeal could have some lingering issues.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  10:08:58 AM  Show Profile
I love TWHs. The best trail riding horse I ever rode was a plantation walker. But a word of warning: I have a friend in her 60's who cannot ride hers, even though they are trained, fantastic horses, because they're too "speedy" for her. They're Not crazy, just.... spirited. They like to do a faster walk, and then they like to go into their running walk, when my friend just wants to take it a bit slower, so she ends up fighting with them to keep them in a slower pace; making for an unpleasant ride for her. She quit riding them all together several years ago; very sad.
I also had an older guy call me a few years ago, because he had a beautiful 5 year old TWH mare; palamino, absolutely magnificent, professionally trained and everything. However, he had found he was unable to handle her without assistance. So I began giving him lessons on the horse. I was able to ride her with no problem; but he never was able to overcome the difficulty. Last year, he decided to sell her, and quit riding all together.

By the same token, I have seen parents "over horse" their young children as well; then call me in to school, re train, and otherwise "deal with" the problem. There is nothing that destroys budding confidence like a bad match in a mount.

As a certified instructor with CHA, I have helped many students and clients choose the best horse for them. I always tell people that they need to look at several horses over a period of time, and not buy the first horse they see. The market is flooded with super great horses right now; you will be able to find the perfect one for you if you take the time.
If you are currently taking lessons, I suggest telling your instructor you're looking for a horse of your own, and see it they can help you locate some good horses in your skill level. A good instructor will be able to find a great match for you.

Myself personally, I always suggest that older folks, and parents with beginners choose an older, bomb proof horse, preferably a Quarter Horse or QH cross. I know some people despise Quarter Horses, but I have never met one I didn't like. They train well, they are steady, slow, and generally laid back. You can always upgrade to a spirited horse when your confidence increases!
Don't take my word for it though - try out several TWHs and QHs and other breeds as well. Breed is not everything.

Have you thought of adopting? There are so many horses needing homes right now. BTW, if you find you want to purchase a OTTTB, (Off the track thoroughbred - ex-racehorse) my husband and I rescue and rehab them at our facility in North Carolina and we have two coming avail. for adoption this coming year. (See my blog link below....not the first one, the second one.) There are other OTTTB adoption agencies out there as well; probably in your state of KY! Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT "Hot", or high strung, nor do they run away or any of those goofy rumors. The best trail horse we have right now is a OTTTB, and he can pack a 4 year old child and never blink and eye. So....just a few thoughts for your consideration. Good luck! Horse ownership is the greatest; I'm sure you will LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  06:12:32 AM  Show Profile
So much good advice here!
I agree, a TWH may not be the best breed for someone who has returned to riding late in life. They can be too hot, too spirted. Rocky Mountain horses are gaited too, and their temperments are calmer, from what I have seen. I would say, minimum age 10 for any horse peurchased by someone getting back to riding after a long while.
Look for a babysitter horse- one that knows what to do and corrects you when you are wrong by doing the right thing when you ask wrong. This is different from a deadhead horse that does not react/ over react. A babysitter with some get up and go for when you are ready for that may be the best thing. My husband's first horse was that way, such a blessing!
I am very partial to my own Haflingers. The are stocky, stout, surefooted easy keepers, and mine never need shoes. They were bred for temperment to be all around family farm horses and now do everything from farm work to dressage, including endurance, theraputic riding, driving, Pony Club, eventing, Western pleasure, roping and vaulting. They were used for packing in the Alps during both World Wars. Check out the breed at www.haflingerhorses.com.
~ Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  07:53:21 AM  Show Profile
All great tips.
I would add, don't forget to just spend some time with em if you can. Some "hang out" time. As a novice, I think it's just as important for you to be comfortable on the ground around horses, as well as in the saddle.
And horses are all individuals, just like people. Some want more of a "job" than just riding in the hills, on the trails, and some are more than happy to just go see the sights with you.
There's lots of good horses on the market right now, so I definitely agree with not jumping at the first horse you try. And do try not to get hung up on color! Good horses come in all colors! :) Alicia

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  08:16:16 AM  Show Profile
Another breed to take into consideration is Fox Trotter. I've had some experience with fox trotters and a lot of the older riders in this part of the country enjoy trail riding with Fox Trotters because they are gaited and therefore a less jarring mount, as any other gaited horse would be.

All the advice given so far is really good. Buy from someone you KNOW you can trust, have the horse checked out by both vet and farrier (Alee's point about show horses applies to almost any type of gaited horse, soring is a horrible thing with really bad consequences in the horses later years). Spend as much time with the animal as possible before you make the sale permanent, ride as much as possible before you buy. If you have a friend who is into horses that you can trust, see if they might be able to go with you on a trail ride or two before the sale is made final.

Alee was also right in saying that the horse market is super depressed right now. A lot of Horses can be bought for a song. But you don't want to end up with a maniac you can't ride or who scares you.

Owning horses is a lifestyle, so make sure the horse is the kind of animal you want to build a life with. :)

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

October Moon
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Tracey
Dover PA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  12:35:20 PM  Show Profile
I have to second(or third) the advice about TWH being hot/speedy. I love my 14 year old mare but I also am constantly struggling to get her to SLOW DOWN/calm down. She practically jumps out of her skin if something scares her, which is often. My Quarter Horse/Arab mix just looks at her like she's crazy when we're trail riding.

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”— Anatole France

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  08:42:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you on the quarter horses. Especially if you are new to owning horses. The are much easier keepers. Having worked in a program with 40 horses that changed out on a regular basis and then working for the largest Equine Rescue in the country I have had experience with just about every breed out there and the quarter horses are great for someone who just wants a calm easy riding horse for a companion. If you check them out really well you can find them with a trot that is to die for. I swear I could drink tea from a china cup while trotting our mare on a trail-ride. She hardly moves her back at all. My big gelding use to be the same but he now has arthritis from being a reining & cow horse. His trot is still smooth but a little more bumpy than three years ago. If you can just test them out, but check them out more than once and make at least one surprise visit. Also, if you can lease first for a month or so.
Yes, as Alee says a lease on a horse is paid even if you can't ride it. Something else to think about when getting a horse for a child it that the child is going to grow, the horse is not. A pony is going to only be good for a couple of years then you have to move up to a bigger horse. "What do you do with the pony then". I have seen so many pony's left to molder in a pasture or given away to what people believe is going to be a good home and the pony is starved and neglected. As stated there are alot of horse needing adoptive homes right now, alot of older horses especially. I will tell you to check them out first but by all means please take a look at the ones in rescues. I have seen some really awesome horses go through the rescue where I worked. They run from around $100. to $1,000. depending on their age and abilities. I have two rescue horses of my own and they are both absolutely awesome. One is a quarter/draft cross 19 yrs old, trained for reining, working cows, barrel racing and pole bending. He may Know more but I haven't figured it out yet. The other is a quarter/paso cross trained for working cattle. He was a stray when the rescue picked him up. The equine dentist ages him between 12 and 15. They are both awesome horses.
In the program I worked that had the 40 horses we purposely got older horses because we were working mostly with kids and adults that were beginner with horses. We had horses there that worked regularly and they were well into their 30's. We used them for trail rides and teaching kids and beginner adults in the arena. With good care an older horse will work well for you well into their 20's and early thirties.
We got an old horse once at the rescue. She was well into her 30's and just bones when we picked her up. She was in such bad shape she wouldn't even try to eat. We worked with her and encouraged her and soon she started to pick up weight. After several months she was fat and really sassy. She was a hard worker and full of attitude. She could still give you a run for your money under saddle. She had so much attitude we named her Maxine after the cartoon character. This story is just to show that you needn't be afraid of getting a horse in their late teens for a trail horse. With good food and good care they can be great for years. Then if you are older like me you don't have to worry about them when you are gone because they will go about the same time you do.
Just have them checked out by a vet before you commit to buy.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  09:20:17 AM  Show Profile
Ah, yes Faransgirl, I agree, horses are a lifestyle. Growing up, all the preppy kids would get new BMWs and such. I would say "I *could* have one of those, but I have horses instead!"
The very first horse my dad bought when we moved to Nevada is still in my pasture. 26 and going strong, even after a major twisted gut/colic surgery 15+ years ago. Most days she's content to be "retired" and a lead line horse for my boys, but when she gets to go out in the hills she's still got spunk.

I have really fallen in love with the Curly Horse breed. Think poodle hair on a horse. Thus they are also supposed to hypo-allergenic. We have a tank of a Curly gelding in our pasture and he lives up to all that I have read about them. Very people orientated. Some of the blood lines trace back to fox trotters, and our big boy does. He would rather stretch out into long strided, smooth, fast paced trot than a canter/gallop.
He WAS my husband's horse when we brought him home, but after two years of training and riding hubby declared that he was too slow and ploddy. But boy can he collect and put out some moves! We also call him the "squeaky shopping cart horse". Ya know when you get that cart that's always trying to pull one way? He has days like that.

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  6:33:35 PM  Show Profile
It does my heart good to know that you have kept your first horse Alicia, so many people just pass them on. My cousin had horses when she was a teenager and her parents still had them when her first grandchild was born. I wish everyone took their horses as a lifetime responsibility. I know that I will make sure mine are taken care of even if something happens to me. One of the few breeds I have never met is the Curly Horse. I would love to meet one some time.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  08:39:35 AM  Show Profile
Annie's not going anywhere! She is truly a bomb proof horse. When we got her as a 2 year old she was spunky and quite an handful. I've done just about everything with her: pony club (jumping and dressage), 4-H horse shows, parades, rodeo, gathered cattle, trail rides in the sage. I'm soo glad she's around to help teach my boys about horses. When my youngest was about 2, just starting to be around horses, he figured that going under her was just as easy as going around. And with HER it's ok. I used to sit under her to groom her feet (trim hair and polish) for horse shows.

The curly's I've met are all wonderful. Want to be right up "in your pocket" to see what's going on. Bolt is a real easy going guy, not in much of a hurry for anything (except food...he's "soo starving" lol)

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  12:00:09 PM  Show Profile
My best piece of advice: Prepare for heartbreak. I've never bought "The first horse" I ever looked at-even though every one I rode I just loved.

Secondly, make SURE you get a vet check. 100% ESPECIALLY on a TWH. (Ps. It's nice to see another KY gal on here!)

Can I ask why you want a TWH in particular?

Also, how much acreage do you have for it, or are you planning to board it?

You'll also need to draw up a budget:

Board
Feed
Tack
Emergency fund
Shoes
Treats (this is a MUST! LOL)
Blankets
Grooming
Dentistry
Vet Bills
Training

Horses are CHEAP compared to the $$$$ you put in them.

I've got some books on buying horses if you'd like me to send them to you. I've owned and trained horses most of my life, and even I bought books on how to make better buying decisions.

PM me if you'd like me to send you what I have. Also, if you'd like advice, I'm more than willing to give it!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  2:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Alicia, I've never had the opportunity to meet a Curly in person, but yours look so adorably fuzzy!!! At one point we had considered using them for the therpeutic riding facility where I used to teach. In addition to being really versatile they are, as you mentioned, supposed to be hypoallergenic which can be helpful when dealing with kids, especially kids with disabilities. We couldn't find any readily available in our area, but I still think it is a breed to consider for therpeutic purposes.

And Mary, one of our therapy horses was a Halflinger!! He was WONDERFUL!! His name was Petey and I used him for driving, equitation, games, and he was the most patient little guy for carrying around kiddies in prone and other trememdously awkward positions. I'd never seen such a beautiful Halflinger gelding, he looked in real life the way you see horses in touched up photos. Plus he was very round and fuzzy and sweet. :)

I couldn't agree more about whoever mentioned Quarter horses. I absolutely loved my QH mare. She is foundation bred and I've used her for everything from trail rides, play days, barrel racing, loafing around in the pasture bareback, you name it. She's fantastic. I had since she was a yearling so I know exactly how she was raised and she has never thrown me, bucked or anything. We did have a few skiddish moments whe she was young(to be expected in a young horse) but never ran away with me or anything. And she has a sitting trot to die for. Nice and smoothe.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  3:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, I have a quarter horse mare just like that. She was a lesson horse for 17 years and she is awesome. I have seen her in the arena with a three year old on her back. The little girl slipped sideways and Sox was at a dead stop the next second. The little girls started to scream her lungs out and the girls Mom who was giving the lesson told the girl she wasn't going to help her until she stopped screaming. Sox stood there looking at Carrie (the Mom) like "Are you going to get this thing off of me or what". I love Sox, she will put up with anything. I have never seen her throw anyone, buck, rear or spook. She has a trot to die for and will stay in it all day if you want her to. She has done week long trail rides, parades and summer camp for 9 to 12 year old girl. I share her now with my best friend who is almost 60 and a bit afraid of horses. Sox is so patient with her but occasionally stretches her bounderies just enough for KK to learn but not be terrified. When KK learns the lesson then Sox settles and is the model of good manners. Sox has done everything, barrel racing, pole bending, lessons for beginners, pre-jumping, a little jumping, western pleasure, english, western reining, english reining, trail rides, play days, girl scout badge workshops. I love that old girl. She is 21 now and still going strong. She has the mare attitude once in a while on the ground but you put a saddle on her and she is on her toes and the attitude is gone. She taught all my girls how to ride. Her name is Miss-Matched Sox. She is sorrel with a blaze and right front-left rear white legs, left front-right rear sorrel legs. She is actually registered with the Paint Horse Association but her white color is on her face, lips and tummy. I have seen 6 year olds pick her feet. Faran my gelding is not quite so accommodating. He is good but not that good. He worked at summer camp for 5 years and did a great job with little kids and teenage girls using and giving him wrong cues etc. He did very well as a trail horse, barrel racer, pole bending, lesson horse, english, western, parades etc. until he was seriously injured when he ran a t-post through his lower jaw. The ranger was really busy that week and didn't find the injury until we all came in on friday. By that time he had maggots in his face. We spent three hours with tweezers picking the maggots out of his face. After he healed from that he was never quite so patient. He went through that, lost both the other horses he was closest to, one died of old age the other had to be put down because of neurological problem (she started having seizures) and the ranger who took care of them most of the time retired. When he healed he never really trusted the people that were left. They decided to send him to slaughter and I bought him before they could send him away. It took several months to win his trust but he is back to his old self, pretty much. He still takes some time to trust but once he does he is just like he use to be. I don't think I will ever have anything but quarter horses/quarter horses crosses. I would really love to meet a curly at some time. I love halflingers too. We had two at camp that we used for pulling the wagon and doing vaulting. The were called Majick and Ona. The are beautiful and calm and so sweet.
We had a Tennessee Walker to named DJ. He was a sweety.

Farmgirl Sister 572

Go to Top of Page

Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Shirley
Kentucky
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  4:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Flower's MSN Messenger address
Wow !! Thank you for all the good councel on horses and purchasing...Thank goodness I am not in a hurry, only anxious to find the right horse that is waiting for me. The reason I am looking mainly at the TWalker is because of the smooth ride. I can not tolerate being bounced around all over the place .. I had taken some western lessons while still in Canada and it was exhausting for me and just to much bouncing..Last spring when I was here for a few months visit I took some horsemanship and riding lessons on a TWalker and that was it for me!! I actually believed there was hope for me to enjoy riding again. I am looking for an older gentle, calm mare or gelding that is well broke with a smooth gait..mainly for pleasure riding around where I live..more of a companion horse.. not planning on going to shows etc. When one says horses are going for a song now.. and that I should be able to purchase one not expensive..how many songs are we talking about in dollars?? roughly..and I am looking at all my options at this point, purchasing, adopting etc. I really appreciate everyones feedback..
Thank you

blessings to all
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  5:08:25 PM  Show Profile
Right now in my area $700 - $1000 will buy you a decent TWH.
As an instructor - in my opinion, if you took western lessons and were "bounced" around, they had a cruddy school horse.
I always use horses with smooth as silk gaits for lessons. For this reason - the horse you rode turned you off and left you with a negative impression. (On your mind and your bum, LOL!)
Not all non-gaited horses are "bouncy". Also; it's a good idea for any breed/style of riding to learn how to post to save you bum and your horse's back.
Try Horsetopia.com for horses for sale; also tack shops and feed store's bulletin boards. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  5:10:24 PM  Show Profile
PS - BEWARE of "free" horses and horses for, say $200. They're most likely full of issues, health problems, and you;ll end up with a "rescue" to rehab and re train. In most cases, at least. Not all, perhaps.

Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  07:25:23 AM  Show Profile
Shirley, I think one thing you have probably picked up from all these posts (and someone said it directly) is that horses are individuals. They do have some inclinations based on their breeding, but they all have their own unique personalities and preferences. I've heard lots of people around here say things like "Arabs are the stupidest breed of horse." Well, that is absolutely not true. Arabs are just about the MOST intelligent breed of horse. Most of them are smarter than their trainers, which makes the trainers angry and embarrassed so they dismiss Arabians as being stupid when it's really the handler that is the stupid one.
And, as Beth mentioned about Faran, her QH gelding, a lot of their actions and reactions are based on life experiences. Were they abused? Did they experience some sort of tragic accident? Horses are just like people in that their experiences contribute greatly to their point of view on life in general. When I said I had had my QH mare since she was a yearling and knew how she was raised, that was very important to me. She's like a big dog on the ground. She follows me everywhere, she wants to be petted, she has no fear of people because she was never mistreated in any way. Disciplined, yes, but never treated creully.

I'm absolutely with Hosanna, you can get a decent horse for $700 - $1000. I would not be interested in a horse with a lower price tag for the same reasons Hosanna stated. In addition to a problem horse, a lot of really young, untrained horses are also available for $200, sometimes less. This is where spending time with the horse prior to purchase and riding several times before making the deal final will really come in handy. You would be able to tell right away whether or not the horse has adequate training to meet your needs.

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  07:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Beth - Sox sounds like such a sweetheart!! I think my mare (Her name is Angel Jet Jordan, Miss J for short) will make an excellent lesson horse. She's already great at plodding around with little ones on her back. Still a bit young to be turned loose with a screaming child, but I definitely think she will mature into that.

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Shirley
Kentucky
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  05:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Flower's MSN Messenger address
Hi again... I have a new question now...lol I am looking for a good comfortable western saddle..any suggestions on makes or companys that make them.. or second hand purchasing.. I don't have a big budget so a thousand dollar saddle is out of the question..

Also thankyou again everyone for all the tips on horse purchasing. I am excited about seeking out a good match for me and now feel equiped to do so.. Thankyou

blessings to all
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2010 :  06:35:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Shirley- Find a used tack shop in your area or a tack repair shop and look into a used saddle. You should be able to side in the saddle comfortably but don't buy a saddle until you have the horse- sometimes the horse will have withers that won't fit into the saddle you buy ahead of time and that can really painful. My barn manager has a saddle that I love- it's mixture between an Austrailian saddle and a normal western saddle. It feels like sitting in a lazyboy chair I swear! I love it.

Anyway find a good tack repair place or used tack shop and make sure there isn't too much wear on the saddle and most importantly- that the tree isn't broken. Also make sure that it isn't warped looking. Any odd bending that isn't supposed to be there is a huge potential to cause soreness. Also check out the sales at www.dover.com as they sometimes have some good saddles on close out. Synthetics are normally cheaper (and lighter!) than leather.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Shirley
Kentucky
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2010 :  04:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Flower's MSN Messenger address
Hi.. I went looking at horses again..new question.. I saw some older mares in the 8-20 year old range...all had been well broke and ridden and some shown in the past. Then they became broodmares..my question is if these horses have not been rode for a while say a couple years or more will they be a good choice for purchase to ride now .. a couple of them were really friendly etc..and had been rode and shown in the past but have been out in pasture the past couple years and had colts. ???

blessings to all
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Riding Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page