Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Why I need to start from scratch
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Why I need to start from scratch Next Topic  

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  09:11:23 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I should have known better
My sister and I are very careful to eat organic fruits and veg and stay away from GMOs and additives so I should have known better but.....
I have never made a good meat loaf so I purchased one ready to cook from the meat department of my local market. They assured me it had no artificial anything. Well, they were right, It even contained a HAIR
Yuck!!!!
Let this me a lesson to me to continue to make everything in my own kitchen
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  09:22:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
EWWWWW!! That is so gross! I love meatloaf but finding a hair in any food is just too gross for words!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  11:15:49 AM  Show Profile
Oh yuck! That would be all for me, too. Did you let them know about that? That's awful.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  1:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh gross.....That's nasty. I did something dumb today too. My DH bought some Banquet pot pies and I thought...well it ain't Marie Callendars, but I had a taste for a turkey one. SOOO...first off, it's only 4" across anymore. When did that happen? Then it caved in and allll the gravy(if that's what you call it)ran out. It was doughy on the bottom. (it only gets better...er...worse) It had 5 tiny pieces of gray meat(turkey?...no way) 6 pieces of carrots and 5 peas. I kid you not! I tried to eat the edge crust.Blaaaaaaa I threw it out. My lips still burn...know why? 1040 mg sodium!!! ACCCKKKK!!! NEVER again! Live and learn. Next time I'll just grab a piece of fruit! (sad)

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

tawandasister
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Sadiemae
Wolcottville Indiana
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  6:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Just watched the new documentary out called "FOOD INC" Anyone seen it? I knew that the grocery was bad but I didn't really have an understanding of how bad...shew...so...now we are trying to get everything as organic as possible and made right in our own kitchen..

Whatever happened to that anyway??

Blessings, Sadiemae
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  7:24:45 PM  Show Profile
All I can say is YAK!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1676 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1676 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  7:53:33 PM  Show Profile
Yuk, Dad and I were talking just the other day about preparing your own foods and growing them. Because you never know what you might find. Keep doing things from scratch.
Hugs,
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  07:18:03 AM  Show Profile
sadiemae i have seen food inc. i am so glad we grow and make most of what we eat. i am an old hippie. i lived in a health food commune in or. we ground our own wheat berries. we started a food coop so we could have decent food. i was still amazed at how things are grown and made. i honestly did not know how bad it was till the movie. i think for us who sell farm products it will help us. the fact that milk is dehydrated and then reconstituted and called fresh wow how is that even legal. just a thought sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  07:32:50 AM  Show Profile
What? Milk is dehydrated then reconstituted? Eww! I have not bought store milk in about 12 years now. I can't even imagine what they do to it now. I am so glad I have goats and soon to be a milk cow. I have not seen the movie. Is there alot of animal abuse? I can't stand to see that. I have seen something where they were shoveling up sick cows to take them to slaughter on the news. Is that on there? I just cry when I see animal cruelty.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  10:35:48 AM  Show Profile
Me to Kristin. I can't watch that kind of stuff at all. I would dream about for a week, like you and Sn___s!

Sister-chick# 905(Oct.7th2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  11:56:16 AM  Show Profile
I saw Food Inc. Yikes! It confirmed that I need to make everything myself from the best natural ingredients I can find. It also made me wish I could produce my own beef/chicken/pork on my little suburban lot. I recommend that everyone see it.
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  07:00:11 AM  Show Profile
The biggest reason I process and preserve 75% of the food we eat.My 2 grown sons live in different states now and they have had to suffer with pre processed foods. They certainly stock up from Momma's kitchen when they visit!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  07:07:47 AM  Show Profile
I've never heard that about the milk being dehydrated and reconstituted. My dad works at the milk processing plant that supplies most of our local grocery stores...I'll have to ask him if they do that.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  10:13:10 AM  Show Profile
it sure is important to know where your food comes from and how it is made

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  10:29:27 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad we raise our own beef, chicken and pork. I also do alot of canning in the summertime. It is really scary how our food is produced in this country. My brother was at a meeting last week and the speaker was an organic farmer. He said because of the wet weather we had last summer the corn is full of toxins and can't be used for ethanol production HOWEVER it is being fed to chickens. They are giving the chickens 4 times the antibiotics they normally do because of the toxins in the corn. SCARY!!! Also, he said the reason more people are having hip and knee replacements is because our food doesn't have any calcium in it any more. We have taken all the nutrients out. The general public doesn't know this and maybe doesn't even care. The future seems very scary.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  1:59:45 PM  Show Profile
But meatloaf is so easy! A little ground beef (grass fed if you can get it), a little chopped onion, some old fashioned rolled oats, salt and pepper, an egg, and you're done! Pretty good, too. I also use that recipe to make meatballs. Yum!

Salt and sugar are in SUCH high levels of processed foods (not to mention artificial sweeteners and HFCS), that I tend just to shop around the edges of the grocery store and hit the farm markets when I can. Fresh produce and dry goods are the way to go!
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  2:14:05 PM  Show Profile
We saw the movie Food Inc. And I've been reading the Omnivore's Dilemma (almost done). Makes me so glad we have our few little acres now and can start to grow more of our own stuff. I've been needing to do grocery shopping and have been putting it off until I can find a way to make our meager food budget buy more organic and local ingredients. After seeing the movie I felt grateful for our flock of free range hens that provide us with our eggs.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Why I need to start from scratch Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page