Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Anyone ever user White Liniment?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone ever user White Liniment? Next Topic  

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2006 :  9:29:05 PM  Show Profile
I recently ordered some items from Lehman's and found this on their site. Has anyone ever used this? If so, what did you think of it?

Myself and my son have such horrible sinus issues and would really like to find a more natural remedy.

The ingredients seem very basic....I already have the menthol crystals and peppermint oil. Just need the wintergreen or maybe even a little eucalyptus oil and I could make this myself. Anyone have a recipe for such a remedy that includes ratios?

Here's the info copied from the Lehman's site....

White Liniment
100 year-old recipe
Old-fashioned liniment provides relief of sinus congestion, muscle cramps, poison ivy, insect bites and skin rashes. Recipe first created in the early 1900s by Isaac Hill, who started Hill's Remedies. Passed down from generation to generation, it is still made today by Isaac Hill's great-granddaughter, still using that same secret recipe. Contains menthol crystals, wintergreen and peppermint oils and alcohol. 6 oz plastic bottle, USA made.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2006 :  3:03:22 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about Hill's, but Watkins also makes a white liniment - it has active ingredients of camphor and turpentine. The formula seems to be of about the same vintage - it was formulated in 1915!

For more information on this you can visit my Watkins web site - choose shopping -US or Canadian catalog as appropriate - then look for the Medicine Chest - Liniments, Salves and Ointments.

I have people who swear by this formula, one lady has MS and she says it is the only thing she has found to relieve her leg pain. I use it for bursitis in my ankle, and find it soothing. (but it is just a little bit smelly - I could use it to keep my husband away....LOL)

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2006 :  5:27:34 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to check that out. Are you supposed to put turpentine on your skin? I think of that as something my Grandpa used to clean paint brushes with. Of course, I don't really know what it is??

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2006 :  9:25:51 PM  Show Profile
Well, you learn something new everyday!

Turpentine is a fluid obtained by the complex distillation of resin obtained from trees, mainly various species of pine (Pinus). It is composed of terpenes, mainly the monoterpenes alpha-pinene and beta-pinene. Alternative names are wood turpentine, spirit of turpentine, oil of turpentine and gum turpentine. It is also known colloquially as just turps, although this more often refers to turpentine substitute (or mineral turpentine). Boiling in large tubs takes place at 155 degrees Celsius to obtain turpentine oil.

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  09:42:54 AM  Show Profile
I use a similiar ointment called unker's salve. I use it for many things!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  11:02:33 AM  Show Profile
Where do you get it? I saw something on Lehman's but is says "Equine use only" Not that it would prevent someone from using it.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  1:29:26 PM  Show Profile
http://www.unkerssalve.com/

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2006 :  6:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Carla - this weekend I attended a beekeeping workshop and there was a gentleman there speaking on apitherapy. He mentioned that bee propolis is an extremely effective remedy for sinus problems. At the beginning of the talk, he asked if anyone in the audience was experiencing sinus problems - he got two volunteers. They each took a propolis capsule and by the end of the hour-long talk they both said they felt much better! Amazing.

There are many sources for bee propolis on the internet. If you want this man's specific brand I can go get the paperwork he handed out - I believe he was from Hillsboro, Ohio.

Anyway, an alternative to white liniment. The Watkins version, with turpentine, is not to be taken internally, so I don't know if it would help your specific sinusitis issues although it is very beneficial for sore muscles.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  08:49:30 AM  Show Profile
I think that the white liniment is a topical treatment as well. Lehmans didn't include directions for use but I would imagine that you soak a peice of cotton and lay it across your sinus area to promote draining.

Funny you should mention bees. I'm looking to start bees. I was hoping this year but likely I won't have my hives built until it's past time to hive your bees. Have you looked into the Top Bar method of bee keeping? Not sure if your interest is commercial or just for honey/wax/pollination for your family but TBH looks really simple. I found a nice site http://www.backyardhive.com for information on the top bar method.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  10:35:10 AM  Show Profile
No, this is the first mention of Top Bar I have seen. It looks interesting, I will check out the site in more detail. But actually, the standard hive didn't seem all that complicated this weekend, either. It was a really interesting demonstration, first they showed how to light a smoker, then how a mite-killed hive looks, then they demonstrated moving a feral colony of bees from a tree trunk into a hive, then how to split a hive (to make two hives, introducing a new queen) then the apitherapist gave his speech. I was surprised at how gentle the bees seemed to be, I didn't have a "bee suit" or a veil, and was within a foot or so of the hive, and didn't have any problems with bees landing on me, and only one person (the demonstrator)got stung all day.

I am considering a hive or two of bees - since my husband isn't very thrilled with the idea of beekeeping I asked my dad if I could keep them on his farm - he said yes, I could put the hives in the same place my grandpa had his many years ago.

Hubby thinks I have too many hobbies already and can't keep up with everything I already do. He is probably correct. So that is why I am dilly-dallying....

The bee inspector for my county is a retired engineer from my company, and he said he would be glad to help me get started, and he is very encouraging.... but he hasn't seen my messy craft room.... and my husband has! LOL...

On our farm in Michigan, a commercial orchard pollinator/beekeeper keeps his extra hives on our property - in exchange for a few gallons of honey a year. Dear hubby doesn't think I need more honey!!!! So far I used 1/2 gallon as Christmas gifts, and have used another half gallon in baking, etc... I will need to step up my usage in order to show him that I need more honey!
I'm trying to use honey instead of sugar for many of my recipes.

You should see the list of conditions honey, pollen, propolis, and royal jelly are supposed to help to cure!!!! Everything from allergies and sinusitis to coughs to high blood pressure to high cholesterol, and a whole bunch more. According to the apitherapist, it is important to use locally harvested raw honey (not heat-treated, and local means where the bees forage for the same types of vegetation that grow in your area, which could mean Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, or even Pennsylvania for Midwesterners like me)

Good luck with your venture. Here is another supplier I found http://www.dadant.com if you are interested in the more traditional hives check them out.

Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2006 :  11:20:07 AM  Show Profile
My husband says the same thing..."Hubby thinks I have too many hobbies already and can't keep up with everything I already do."

I have so many projects going that I'm not sure I'll ever get them all done!

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone ever user White Liniment? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page