schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  8:27:41 PM  Show Profile
anyone see the latest issue of hobby farm? it has a recipe for mozzarella cheese? I"m dying to try it- but nervous too. I actually found rennet at the amish store today, so I might give it a shot this weekend.

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  08:33:46 AM  Show Profile
I haven't actually made my own cheese but from what I've read it isn't really hard. There is a chapter in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle on it that would put your mind at ease as well. Let us know if you make it and how it turns out.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  11:35:23 AM  Show Profile
I missed that! What page was it on?

On cheese making mozzarella is the "easiest" they say. good luck. I am venturing into cheesemaking these days, I actually just finished my cheese press, I hope to get some things made within thd next few weeks, mozzarella to start and then I think I will try a cheddar, using the press and all.

Let us know how your first batch comes out.

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

Rea231
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

139 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  2:39:36 PM  Show Profile
I ahve made it and it is not hard! Have fun... The taste is awesome!

The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  3:46:34 PM  Show Profile
I just subscribed...is it a good magazine? I have never seen one.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  8:56:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by alterationsbyemily

I missed that! What page was it on?

sorry,it's actually "Hobby Farm Home" It's featured on the cover,and also pg. 26. I realized I need to find citric acid,also. I know that is the same as vitamin C, but not sure if that is considered "food grade", anyone know? I also need some kosher salt- I had some and tossed the box when we moved in Nov. I knew I should have kept that!!
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  8:57:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Roxy7

I just subscribed...is it a good magazine? I have never seen one.

It's actually "Hobby Farm Home" this is the first issue I have read- I am enjoying it so far. Makes me yearn for spring to get here, so I can start my vegetable and herb gardens!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  11:05:00 AM  Show Profile
You should be able to find citric acid in a local grocery store, in the canning section. I get mine from a bulk food store. I use unrefined sea salt in all my cheeses.
Making mozz. is a quick way to use up extra milk.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  11:23:05 AM  Show Profile
I tried to make motzerella last night and my book told me to pull it under water that was 168 degrees. Lets just say even with the gloves on I burned the top layer off of my skin.... I used a fairly complicated reciepe, anyone know a good one online?

BTW using the whey I then made ricotta, which came out so Awesome!

See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  6:01:23 PM  Show Profile
I was watching the create channel the other day and I swear it was on Simply Ming that he made his own mozzarella using "sour salt". Now, it could have been on Daisy Cooks, which would make more sense...since she does spanish food and he does asian but I THOUGHT it was Ming. Regardless, it was the "sour salt" that had me intrigued....but now I read that it is indeed "citric acid". So...now I'm looking on shelves for both. americanspice.com has it in small quantities/bulk online...but I'd sure like to find it local.

I did find this site with lots of step by step pics of "american mozzarella" http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Mozzarella_American/Mozzarella_American.html This biologist (yep...biologist) will also show you how to make your own rennet!

I have yet to try it but anxious to give it a go!
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Hannigan
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Shari
Middle TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  9:32:26 PM  Show Profile
I love Hobby Farm Home, second only to Mary Jane's Farm in my book. I have every issue they've put out. Now if I could just say the same for MJF!!

...some women are drippin' with diamonds... some women are drippin' with pearls... look at me, lucky me, the only thing I'm drippin' with is... little girls...
Farmgirl #1158
blog: http://www.lifegetsmessy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  05:15:38 AM  Show Profile
What kind of milk are ya'll using? I have made it with my goat milk and a friend has Jersey's and we made some with her milk. They were both about the same flavor and turned out the same. I was just wondering. And do ya'll have vegetable rennet? I have ordered it from Hoagger Goat supply and found it at a 7th Day Adventist store.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  07:10:01 AM  Show Profile
i made the mozz. recipe that leeners has. you are so right hot hot cheese. i used the gloves that came with my cooking oven. super thick. i do not use a microwave so we used the whey to heat it to pull. it was simple fast and good for eating right away.i use the veggie rennet. it works just fine. i am doing cow cheese. i pasturized milk for colby today. it is the only recipe i have that requires pasturizing first. do not know why. must be a bacteria needs to be killed first. ant thoughts?has anyone else made the ricotta? i am very interested in it for lasagne? sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farmgirl #1014
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  2:31:05 PM  Show Profile
The ricotta that I made was SUPER easy.

You heat 8 quarts of whey to 160-170 degrees and then add a 1/2 cup of vinegar. Put it in a cloth lined colinder and let it hang out for 1-7 hours. I let mine sit for about 4 and it came out PERFECT. Its really cool to watch the reaction of the vinegar and whey, its like clouds.

My book told me to use hard cheese whey but I used the motzerella and it came out just fine.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic homemade mozzarella? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page