Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 When your get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic When your get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went.... Next Topic  

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  08:11:37 AM  Show Profile
For those of us who are at home full time, how do you keep your momentum going to tackle the daily jobs? I need some inspiration because some days I just don't have the oomph and it is easy to think "oh, that job will be there tomorrow, it's there everyday." How do you keep yourself motivated?

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  08:16:18 AM  Show Profile
Kimberly Ann--first of all, LOVE the title of your post! Haha! Great!

I don't really know a good answer for this. I am a clean freak, I don't know how to work in a place that's so disorderly. Sometimes I need to take breaks when I clean my house. Sort of little tea breaks, or hop on the computer. I like listening to music in the background too--that usually helps.

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW: February 28th ~ Interview with Karen Keb of Hobby Farms and Hank Will of GRIT magazine!
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  10:11:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kimberly, I like to see what I have gotten done. So it inspires me to keep going. But I also have to take many breaks. Like Zan, I'll stop and have a cup of tea, get on computer or just sit and read awhile. Then back I go. But if someone can tell me what to do with that 239lb hubby while I'm trying to do all of this, please send suggestions. If he doesn't find a job, I'm going to have to pay him to just get out of my way!!HAHAHAHA Back to the subject, I guess I just want things to feel confortable when friends come over. I don't want it to feel stuffy but just homey!

Blessings, Brenda
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  10:57:45 AM  Show Profile
have you tried FLYLADY....i find her really helpful

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  2:11:05 PM  Show Profile
I don't get a lot of time to myself before the husband comes home from work but if I really want to keep working I find making a list the night before and trying to compleate it before Jim comes home. It usually works. Also one thing I learned from the fly lady and I find fun to do is to set a timer. I will set 10 minutes for the bathroom and I'm usually done in 8, for a quick wipe disinfecting clean. It works pretty well.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  2:42:41 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes keeping motivated is tough in the dead of winter. One thing that helps me, I have a group of women who come for a sewing lesson once a week now. So, I would be very embarrassed if my home was not in order. . that really helps.

The other thing to try, put on your all time favorite music and that really helps to get you moving . . . singing and dancing through all the chores

Joanna #566
JojoNH

www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  2:55:48 PM  Show Profile
yes, I find music helps a lot too...kinda gets you in the groove

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  5:10:45 PM  Show Profile
...But....what happens when you can't stop dancing and find that you just can't be bothered with the cleaning??? hahaha

Sister-chick# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  7:15:35 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Judy. :-)

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  05:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Shoot, I am in desperate need of some get up and go right now! It's so freezing bone chilling cold and I cannot get warm. I want to work outside but it feels like it's going to snow any minute. We do have a chance of flurries and it sure feels like snow cold out there.

I do turn on music when I want to do any work inside. It just helps get me going. I have my 3 or 4 favorites on my sat. tv music channels.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  8:53:35 PM  Show Profile
Hey as long as you have the motivation for the important things like sewing and talking to your friends and stuff you love, then you know you are not depressed. so the house work doesn't get all done , so what it will be there tomorrow. do something fun when you are down and then the next day you can do the cleaning if you feel like it!!!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Treadle
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Leigh-Ann
Northwest Mississippi
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  7:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Beverley,

I love your answer!!

Blessings,
Leigh-Ann

The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary. ~Mary Kurtz
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  9:57:40 PM  Show Profile
i agree with all of you ladies... it's hard to get going when it's cold! music helps me alot when i'm in a frump! and i like to have a list in my head of what to work on.

but here's my suggestion... it helps me a lot when i REALLY don't want to do anything to have something to look forward to at the end of it all. i especially love to take a wonderful, hot, relaxing bath with the works: bubbles or essential oils, candles, wine, some nice music in the background. i look forward to that "me" time when my hubby is away. so it becomes my motivation to get through my cleaning or what-have-you. i tell myself "if i get my chores done, i can have my fun time." also, the faster i get my chores done, the faster i can have fun. i also like to watch a new movie, a favorite movie, play on the computer, or read, so anything you can give yourself to look forward to will work!

i also try not to be hard on myself if i do take a whole day to myself... sometimes that's just the thing to motivate you! tell yourself if i give myself a whole day to do whatever i want, to relax, and FULLY enjoy this day, i will feel more rested to do my chores tomorrow. and sometimes it takes multiple days. give yourself what your body and mind crave... that work will also become a craving after you know you need to do your chores (build-up of pet fur in the form of dust bunnies becomes my motivator as well if i have taken too long to clean!). But if you don't do your chores, it's also not the end of the world. i find if i put that kind of pressure on myself, put myself on a guilt trip for not keeping up with the things i "should" do, i get more down than if i take it easy and tell myself it's ok. there is no "should".... just be!

like the gals said, tea breaks and MJF breaks are also helpful motivators!!! :)

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  4:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Good Answer Elizabeth! I like it and agree 100%!

Sister-chick# 905(Oct.7th2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  6:57:07 PM  Show Profile
I make a list of what I have to get done. Then I set a timer and work for just 15 minutes. Then I set a timer for 15 minutes and do what I want for 15 minutes - read, computer, etc. You'll be surprised at how much you can accomplish this way.
Go to Top of Page

Ms. Hannigan
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Shari
Middle TN
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  7:55:33 PM  Show Profile
I can be a neat freak, but I'm trying to get over it already! I use FLYLADY, too, even though my kitchen doesn't look it right now!! If at the end of the day you've smiled, and you kids or hubby or friends have smiled with you, that is all that really matters.

...some women are drippin' with diamonds... some women are drippin' with pearls... look at me, lucky me, the only thing I'm drippin' with is... little girls...
Farmgirl #1158
blog: http://www.lifegetsmessy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic When your get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page