HollyMaeberry
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Holly
Jaffrey NH
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  06:35:43 AM  Show Profile
I have been discovering creative ways to reuse denim from jeans that have been worn, out grown or found at a thrift store.

first, I have cut 5" squares from the darkest denim and created a "quilt" for my kids. I use inexpensive blankets as batting, and fleece as the backing. I am using the blanket binding that is "satin" to finish them off. They are tied and therefore nice and comfy/heavy.

Second, I have created great little backpacks. My daughter, when she was two, insisted on carrying the diaper bag, but it was just too big for her. So I took some old jeans and created a little backpack that could hold her diaper, a few wipes (in a zip lock bag), and her sippi cup. She lOVED it. I then created the pattern for make larger packpacks. They have been quite a hit as gifts! I'm looking forward to selling some this summer at craft fairs.

Anyway, I am always looking for more ideas of things to make from old jeans and denim

It's all good :)

OhioValley Farmchick
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Lisa
Waterford OH
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  06:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I also made a quilt top with old jeans. I did not add batting or a backing. I read that denim quilt tops are perfect for picnics and laying on the grass because the grass will not stick to the denim. Simply pick it up and shake it off. I am saving up more worn out jeans looking for the next project. Thinking about a tote bag for shopping. I am also looking for more ideas.

Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might...Ecclsiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  07:15:35 AM  Show Profile
Cut into strips, sew strips together and braid into a rag rug! I'm going to do that once I get enough denim saved up =D

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  2:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Denim is an all around useful fabric, from rag bags for the guys to re-purposed denim coats, place mats, purse, check book cover, well you get the idea. Love to see pictures of your work!!hint. . hint! LOL!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

cajungrammie
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

tina
dry prong la.
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Send cajungrammie a Yahoo! Message
i make coasters from the seams of blue jeans.just cut out the long seams,roll them up to the size coaster you want and hot glue the ends.they are the cutest.

Sometimes I think I know Everything!!Then I wake Up!!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  6:42:34 PM  Show Profile
If it is safe for dogs to chew on, you could braid the strips into doggy chew toys.
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

HollyMaeberry
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Holly
Jaffrey NH
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  7:00:38 PM  Show Profile
Lisa ~ the picnic throw sounds GREAT! I will have to try one of those, too!

Annika ~ I love braided rugs, and my house has a lot of denim (sofa covers, duvet cover) That is another excellent idea!!!

Joanna ~ I'm flattered that you want to see my work. I haven't gotten up the nerve or the know how to post picts of anything yet. I'm contemplating starting a blog to post picts and such. I also am considering looking into etsy... Not sure yet.

Tina ~ I love the coaster idea. It took me a minute to figure out what you were saying, but I so get it, and I think it would look great!! I'll have to try some :)

Megan ~ that is definately a creative idea!!!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  8:57:43 PM  Show Profile
Woozers! you gals have some great re-purposeing ideas for denim!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  07:45:05 AM  Show Profile
my dd has made a few of those denim square quilts. they are great for picnics,and nice and warm for in the car on chilly days. she also used flannel scraps on the back to make it soft.
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  8:46:28 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, I just used my own idea! I took two pairs of old jeans, cut them up into strips, and braided them into little doggie chew toys. The next part of the mission is to find time to take them to the Humane Society. You just have to make sure you tie the denim tight enough, otherwise the braids will come undone.
God's Blessings,
Megan

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2010 :  9:10:13 PM  Show Profile
I have been saving old blue jeans for awhile now. I think I am going to piece them together and make some patchwork dog coats. Maybe even a doggy back pack style. I am also going to make some newsboy caps with them. I like taking pieces that are in different stages of faded denim and piecing them together randomly like a crazy quilt and then using that as fabric.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Columbine
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Pat
Plainwell Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  09:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Columbine a Yahoo! Message
Old Jeans also make great hot pads. Use 3 layers and you don't even need to turn 'em just frey the edges.
quote:
Originally posted by HollyMaeberry

I have been discovering creative ways to reuse denim from jeans that have been worn, out grown or found at a thrift store.

first, I have cut 5" squares from the darkest denim and created a "quilt" for my kids. I use inexpensive blankets as batting, and fleece as the backing. I am using the blanket binding that is "satin" to finish them off. They are tied and therefore nice and comfy/heavy.

Second, I have created great little backpacks. My daughter, when she was two, insisted on carrying the diaper bag, but it was just too big for her. So I took some old jeans and created a little backpack that could hold her diaper, a few wipes (in a zip lock bag), and her sippi cup. She lOVED it. I then created the pattern for make larger packpacks. They have been quite a hit as gifts! I'm looking forward to selling some this summer at craft fairs.

Anyway, I am always looking for more ideas of things to make from old jeans and denim

The greatest joy in nature is the absence of man....
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  05:03:29 AM  Show Profile
When I find out that there is a new grandbaby on the way I ask the family members from both sides to give me old blue jeans. I then cut them up and make large floor/picnic quilts for the new baby with pieces of jeans from the people who love the new baby. I even have an old pair of jeans that were my dad's. He passed away 10 years ago, so the quilt square with his jeans in it is special.

Happy quilting!

Lida
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  06:54:12 AM  Show Profile
Lida what a great idea. That's a nice keepsake.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  7:33:35 PM  Show Profile
You can also cut the back pockets off a pair of jeans and stick them to a bulletin board and use the pockets to hold pens and other things.
cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  05:44:19 AM  Show Profile
I have been saving old jeans to re-do my living room. My Hubby's jean legs will be pillows for the couch, I will have a braided jean rug for the floor, a patchwork cover for the couch, and curtians made of the decorated leg portions of my girls jeans. I think I will steal the coaster idea. I was even thinkin of puttin the back pockets together for a kleenex box holder with the zipper as the opening for the kleenexs.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  6:12:44 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Hi Saw a really cute shopping bag made from old jeans. the legs were cut very short then legs and zipper were sewn shut. handles were made from the legs. the pockets held keys, cell phone and a notebook.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  1:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Not that I would do this myself but: I once visited a home where the couple had scrounged adult size jeans from anyone and everyone. First they soaked them in a mixture of borax and water and laid them flat to dry. They painted the bottom 30" of their family room a denim blue. Then they cut the jeans off to 30" from the waist down. Slit one side seam, laid them out flat and starched them to the wall!!! YES! STARCHED them to the wall. Where the jeans were a bit heavy, a well-placed brad kept them attached. WAY cute! I guess you can dip fabric in laundry starch and smooth it the wall. When it dries, it stays. When you want to remove it, you just peel it off, wipe down the walls, and you're set for the next wall treatment! She said depending on how large the people were who wore the jeans, it took 5-7 pair to do a 15' wall.

There you have it. My only regret: I didn't have my camera along, and cell phones at the time didn't take pictures!

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  7:37:11 PM  Show Profile
This company has denim cloth diapers. I think this would be a great use for denim that is well worn in and soft. http://www.artfire.com/modules.php?name=Shop&op=listing&product_id=1244382

On this note, when I make cloth menstrual pads I usually use a layer of denim on the bottom since its a little stiffer, it helps keep them from bunching as much, then you can still use the cute flannel on top.

I am working on a wool lined sleeping bag for my son out of denim scraps. I have the old army blanket for the batting, and bought some thrift store flannel sheets for the lining just need to get all the denim and find a super long zipper.
Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com

Edited by - Sarahpauline on Jun 28 2010 7:39:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  2:19:41 PM  Show Profile
Years ago I made my oldest son a quilt using his old jeans that he had outgrown. I cut squares to even use the pockets. He was a teenager when I finished it for him.

He's 33 now and still uses it, his wife uses it and his kids too!

The denim holds up well. I wish now tho that I had used a better quality for the back. Some of the back is made with better quality cotton and the the parts that were from whatever I had on hand, are frayed and wearing away to nothing.

also, at the time, I didn't know about the need to also use good quality thread.

So I hope this may help some of you who will be making a denim quilt but haven't yet.

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  3:40:38 PM  Show Profile
I really want to make more braided dog toys out of denim! If anyone has a pair of jeans that they don't need anymore that you would be able to send to me, please email me!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  8:04:50 PM  Show Profile
I am so impressed with all of the ideas for denim! You can also make cute pillows by cutting off the legs & using the top portion of the jeans to stuff with batting. I make purses out of the tops too.

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  12:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
My BFF gave me a stack of jean shorts she had intended to embroider, but never used when her machine broke. She only paid $1 for each and gave me 6 or 7 pairs. I made an apron out of them. The fabric is heavier than the cottons of many aprons. I do a lot of striping, painting, metal polishing, gardening, etc and something really heavy like this might not look too fancy, but it keeps me from completely ruining clothes.

My Blog ~ http://www.travisandjennykerr.com/kerrfect
My Etsy ~ http://www.etsy.com/shop/beletvieux
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  7:30:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi, one of my treasures is a denim quilt that my mother-in-law made when my husband was a young man. I never knew my mother-in-law, but I treasure this very real connection with her.

I like the apron idea. I'll have to make one from some old jeans that we have around. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  1:56:23 PM  Show Profile
I made Christmas ornaments one year. I'll have to see if I have a photo to post for you.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  8:48:37 PM  Show Profile
I too made aprons from cast off jeans...
the 1st apron was from the back(butt)of the jeans, lined it, added a ruffeled hem and ran the ties (tacked to the apron) throught the belt loops!
2nd apron I made from the upper leg(thigh)of a pair of jeans,,stitched the two legs together having the wider part as the hem, then added a ruffle & ties.....
I also have made Western "Stockings" from jeans that I stuffed w/goodies for my gal pals at a Glamping trip 2 years ago....I have photos on my blogs, but you would probablly have to go back quite a few pages to find them....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic reusing denim Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page