graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  8:09:34 PM  Show Profile
That does make you sick!! Carol - I think the "edible schoolyard" idea is such a good one, kids should know where their food comes from.
Laura - I have definitely noticed a difference between the taste of organic and conventional, always have in produce, and now particularly in meat. There is something in conventional pork that just really gets to me - I can't completely avoid it as I can't ask my family to cook all the family dinners special but I take very small helpings. It was first brought to my attention by a friend who got me into organics back in 1988 when I was 18 - he had me compare conventional and organic fresh juiced carrot juice - huge difference.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  9:58:44 PM  Show Profile
Amy Gracie green eyes I think there is more and easier access to information than ever.The internet is amazing to me.I find the most amazing things even what's been written in this website.

I believe we are still supposed to be running this country, even though the lobbyist and the corporations believe we work as serfs for them.I remember an astrologer who said the courts could help uphold the truth in this land.

Maybe we can still turn this to positive thoughts and by not falling into negativity and bafflement, we can create a wave of positivity , a group energy, that can find new possibilities for the future.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

corabela
True Blue Farmgirl

79 Posts

Laura
Mount Vernon Ohio
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  07:18:31 AM  Show Profile
Katie, you are the voice of truth and light. : ) We CAN create a wave of positivity and instead of fighting the opposition, make our own way with our group energy. Like Mother Theresa said she would never attend an anti-war rally, but if anyone were ever to hold a Peace Rally, she would attend that. : )

Amy, I do the very same thing. I learned last year that genetically modified pork contains human genes. There's a rumor that it has something to do with MRSA but who knows. True or not, I still want nothing to do with it. My mother-in-law is making an Easter ham today and I told her I'd purchase an organic leg of lamb from one of our local farms and bring that to the dinner as well. I eat her other meals but only in small portions. I think she's under the impression that I don't like her cooking but it's actually that I don't like the food quality. She cooks just fine. It's just that sometimes, it tastes a little bland and sometimes even scary. Like a frozen Mrs Smith's pumpkin pie last Christmas...oh, that was such a travesty. But until the rest of the world catches up, things will be a little sketchy at in-law family dinners. : )

~Laura

Please stop by my blog and my etsy site and say hello : )

www.corabela.blogspot.com
www.corabela.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  08:07:33 AM  Show Profile
I think that we CAN create a positive wave of pure food vs GMO food. Pure Food Rallies if you will =)
I tend to think that America will never change for the better. Just me being afraid for the future and cynical.
I grew up with TV dinners and everything over processed and out of contact with nature.
Falling into the negative is not a way forward, you are right!
Katie you are so very right! And Laura, thank you.
I've needed an attitude re-alignment about this subject.
Let's go forward and create a wave of pure food energy instead of just attacking. Show people an alternative to what they are doing and where they are going. The people and the world deserve no less than our best =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  08:53:51 AM  Show Profile
Katie - I agree that access to information is easier than ever, unfortunately access to getting that information out is easier too - so anyone, and I mean anyone, can put something on the web and you really have to do your research to see if what they are saying is legit. Electronic media isn't subject to the same scrutiny as print media when it comes to accuracy so depending on where people end up looking they could get some erroneous information. So I miss newspapers:( Anyway - forums like this where people can share information are such a valuable thing - I so appreciate everyone's depth of knowledge and different perspectives
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  10:23:37 AM  Show Profile
It was hard for me to watch Food, Inc. I can't believe that this is happening! The part with the animals just broke my heart, this is the reason I choose to be vegetarian. I think I was still crying two hours after seeing the doctumentary and how they treat the farmers just make me sick!

Thanks so much for sharing the website for rareseeds.com, I'll be sure to share it with my friends.
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  11:41:21 AM  Show Profile
I finally got my hubby to sit and watch Food, Inc. He totally understands my madness now! We're raising our steer hormone/additive free (he grew up on ranches that used hormones on the steers), and he'll be all grass fed. Anyone watched/looked into Fresh, The movie? Looks very similar to Food, Inc. I'll be buying the home package (you have to buy the movie and get discussion materials with it-to host a screening).

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  2:25:06 PM  Show Profile
Back in February, I signed the FRESH petition demanding that the USDA listen to our concerns regarding Monsanto's genetically engineered alfalfa.

Despite overwhelming opposition, the USDA is dangerously close to lifting the ban on GE alfalfa.

We've already sent over 10,000 signatures to the USDA opposing GE alfalfa, but we need to keep pushing. Let's continue to make sure that our voices are heard.

Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) and Representative Peter DeFazio (D-OR) are currently circulating a Congressional 'Dear Colleague' letter in the House and Senate, asking the USDA to maintain the ban on genetically engineered alfalfa. The letter will be open for signature till June 4th.

PLEASE contact your Members of Congress TODAY and urge them to sign onto this letter.

http://action.freshthemovie.com/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=3195

We need to be clear that we do NOT want Monsanto's genetically engineered alfalfa contaminating organic and non-GE alfalfa crops.

Alfalfa is one of the major food sources for certified organic animals. If the USDA lets Monsanto sell its new alfalfa, it will inevitably overtake organic alfalfa crops through the natural pollination process, threatening the integrity of organic dairy.

Please tell Congress to sign onto Senator Leahy's 'Dear Colleague' letter today. Together we can make our voices heard.

http://action.freshthemovie.com/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=3195

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:17:45 PM  Show Profile
Every time you turn around!!! Another threat to doing things the natural way, it's just astonishing.
I was in France last year and in one of the cafes I noticed a sign listing all the countries that they bought beef from - the US was not on that list, and there was a note explaining why - all the same reasons we know from watching movies like Food Inc. and reading books like Omnivore's Dilemma.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

nelliesue17
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Nellie
PA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:50:58 PM  Show Profile
Argh!! If people only knew what was in their genetically mutated pesticide herbicide resistent farm fresh fruits and vegetables!! If it is killin off the pests and making them resistent to herbicides what are they doing to our sweet children's bodys!!

Nellie Sue

Life is a bowl of beautiful bright berries
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  3:55:16 PM  Show Profile
HAHA...Still going strong I see....you silly (but WONDERFUL) mavens.....! MISS YOU!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~Heaven doesn't want me, and Hell's afraid I'll take over!~
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  6:53:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm seeing FRESH here in MN at a public screening on the 30th! Excited to see it!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  08:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh, sonshine4u, how exciting!
I've been talking of having a home screening here, and already have quite a few friends who say they'll come and invite people. But it's the people who have no clue about all this that I want to come. I still need to order the screening stuff, so we'll see what happens.
I'd love to hear about the screening there in MN.
:)

Alicia
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Boycott Monsanto? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page