LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  3:14:35 PM  Show Profile
This company really scares me with their GMO's and pesticide use, and small farm harassment. Is there a discussion anywhere on MJF about this?
I know I will be boycotting Monsanto products- although, I am not sure if I even buy any of their stuff anymore!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  4:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Couldn't agree more. What they have done to the small farmers is awful. Did anyone see the movie Food, Inc?

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  4:24:05 PM  Show Profile
The sad thing is if you buy any processed food, non organic produce, or restaurant food, pet foods and feeds, you might buy their stuff. Even if you buy your summer sweet corn from the farmer down the street, if he is not growing heirloom corn - you bought Monsanto. If you buy meat or eggs or dairy from the grocery store the animals were fed Monsanto grain. Research your seeds you buy for the garden, a lot of the trusted seed companies have been bought out and you have to really research their parent company because they do not publish they were bought out. I could go on about all the trickle down products they effect(think ethenol in your cars gas tank). The worst part is if you speak out against them they bring legal action against you, even the small guy. This is a topic that makes me very sad. The American people do not realized how big this really is.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  5:16:52 PM  Show Profile
I know how right you are Jane.... it makes so much sense to really research where our foods and other products come from and just hope that what we are seeing is the truth. I know that I am done with all seeds except for heirloom seeds, I try to be careful what food we eat, and where we buy it, but, for example I am about to start research on exactly where our 2 dogs food comes from.
I know it's easy to say that if enough people speak out and change the way they shop it would help, but it is much, much harder to convince people of this.
Yes Dawn, Food, Inc was wonderful! So much food for thought! ;)

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:33:07 PM  Show Profile
Hey Brenda - yes we have talked about the Monsanto monopoloy a lot - in the Danger of Extinction thread particularly. The heirloom mavens henhouse formed particularly in response to the number of seeds that are going extinct in part because of companies like Monsanto. It is scary because they have their influence everywhere and it is hard to know what is safe to buy - I work in the organic food business, have for years, and there almost no independent organic companies anymore, they have all been purchased by large corporations. You really have to work to make choices to support pure food and small companies whereas the large gmo corporations don't have to go to any lengths at all to cover up who they are. Monsanto particularly has been linked to the high number of farmer suicides in India because of their role in intellectual property patents.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:36:38 PM  Show Profile
Food Inc. is the most amazing documentary ever! It is such an eye-opener to how disgusting our food industry is today. Monsanto is a disgusting company, and I can only that small farmers will unite to bring down the company. Once spring comes, I'm going to try to support the local farmers as much as possible.
God's Blessings,
Megan

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  7:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We always support out local farmers here!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  8:23:54 PM  Show Profile
I am always so grateful to meet kindred spirits. I have a website that you all might be interested in. It is an heirloom seed company and they do testing on their corn to insure that it has not been "infected" by gmo's. They put out an awesome catalog. The website is www.rareseeds.com. I may have had to pay to receive it, but in my view it is well worth it.

Dawn

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  04:33:02 AM  Show Profile
I remember reading about Monsanto almost 17 years ago and thought "this can't happen". I was so wrong.

I don't know if we can really successfully fight this company. Our success will be measured in providing for ourselves ....which all the farmgirls here do exceptionally well!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  05:03:15 AM  Show Profile
Dawn- I just bought all my heirloom seeds from there!!! I love that company and reading about what they do, and my seeds came very quickly...my husband was looking through their catalog and decided we had to buy from them because of their adorable little girl! :) They came highly recommended from some of the girls here...
I'm ready to plant, now we just need spring!!!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  08:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Seed Savers Exchange is another good seed company, there are others that have signed the Safe Seed Pledge too. I used to love looking at all the seed catalogs when they came, now I throw most of them away because at the top they are owned or connected with Monsanto.
I bought some stuff from Baker Creek last year and I was really happy with it.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  09:19:11 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it weird how something as simple and eyeopening as MJF or Food Inc., or fresh can completely change your perspective? I'm buying all heirloom seeds for my garden this year. And Amy Grace, I used to be just like you. I LOVED to look at the seed catalogs, but now I just toss them unless they are SeedSavers, Baker's or some other heirloom seed company.

Pray for me girls!! I'm in the airport right now headed to Raleigh, NC. Have no idea what I'm going to eat all week while I'm on the road!! :) But I've decided the same thing all of you have. If I can't grow it or buy it from the farmer's market, I'm not eating it. I've been working toward completely eliminating grocery stores from my weekly routine, now I'm just that much more motivated to do so.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  11:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Just placed a seed order with them too!
What a super way to get organic, safe seed!
Thanks for the link and resource! :)

-Greenhaven Gardens
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  1:25:34 PM  Show Profile
The things that happen to our food supply should be illegal!! these huge companies take over and just ruin things for every one around. I wish there was a way to get all this infromation easily, and I wish more people cared. I could go on and on, but I just hope some day enough people will express their concerns and maybe things will start changing. I am so grateful for you all...someone understands!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  2:40:37 PM  Show Profile
It is nice to communicate with like-minded folks - sometimes I start talking about something I assume everyone knows (like Monsanto) and I get the strangest looks, like I'm an alien. That's when I try to spread a little knowledge without being overbearing, but, like LessieLouise said, it's nice to be amongst those who understand.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  3:36:51 PM  Show Profile
We definitely need to all take part in making sure our food chain stays safe, that these foods will be around for our grandchildren and their children. Their is something we can do- band together with all the farmers out there who are trying to fight these (not so new) changes.
One of the first things you can do is watch Food, Inc and read Michael Pollan's books. The second is to involve everyone you know.
Wednesday night our community is having a meeting to discuss the impacts of factory farming runoff in this area. I will admit that I am not sure where exactly their is factory farming in our area, unless they are talking about the apple orchards that are right next to my house(yikes!) but I plan on being there..... that is if my daughter doesn't have her baby between now and then, in which case I won't be able to. I will have to watch her older girls.
I am trying to find out how best I can help right now- besides of course not buying from these big corporations.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  5:16:12 PM  Show Profile
And we have a terrorist within our borders, snuck in the back door. I was so unaware, I will read everything now.

Farmgirl #121
www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com
www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  5:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Is any one familiar with the Weston A. Price Foundation?

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  1:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We bought heir loom seeds too!! Can't wait to start our garden!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  1:47:45 PM  Show Profile
I can't wait to start my "organic" garden. After watching Food, Inc. I gave myself one year to get independent (except for things like olive oil, etc.) from ALL big stores! Meat, fruit, veggies---ALL of it!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  6:01:27 PM  Show Profile
No Dawn - what is it?
Brenda - good for you for getting involved!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  04:01:28 AM  Show Profile
Dawn I have the website bookmarked and will try to get time to read it over today, it looks great!
Megan- have you started doing that yet? How exciting! That is something that I would love to do, but I don't think it would be easy!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  11:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Another documentary that touches on this subject is called "The Future of Food". It is equally as disturbing as FoodInc. You would never believe a seed company bullies and stong arms small farmers. Monsanto is like the mafia of agriculture.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  7:36:42 PM  Show Profile
There is an instance cited in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, too - it is just unbelievable that we have gotten to the point where small farmers can get sued for wind-born pollen getting into their crops. What next?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  8:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Girls, I would say try and save as many seeds as you can. I think its just going to get worse every year. Its sad Vicki
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  04:02:15 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning! I've joined this conversation late but I want to say I applaud all of you for making informed decisions. I know many "educated" people who just don't care. It's all about saving a buck for most. I also blame our government leaders for allowing this. Companies like Monsanto have money, lawyers, lobbyists, etc. to fight small groups and individuals. Thank goodness for people like you and Michael Pollan who speak up and take the time to THINK about what they are doing. I know I will. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Boycott Monsanto? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page