Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Cleaned my first chicken EEWWW/mmmmmm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cleaned my first chicken EEWWW/mmmmmm Next Topic  

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  11:55:12 AM  Show Profile
OK ladies. I did it. I killed and cleaned my first chicken to eat.
I just have to say EEEEWWWWW!!!!! It really wasnt too bad but dont think I'll be buying anymore meat birds with the intentions of eating it. I love my chickens, so I have had to disconnect myself from this one.

Now I just have to figure out what recipe to use to cook it up.
One of my daughters have declared she is a vegitarian now. The rest, we're eatin chicken for Sunday dinner

~Kayce~

Check out PenPals for FarmKids http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38599

Edited by - Kayce on Feb 21 2010 4:25:01 PM

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  12:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
eeeewwwww!!! lol
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  12:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
hahahha But honestly I don't know if I could do it! My neighbors clean chickens all the time in the front yard. And well since we share a yard and my ds is very ummm attached to animals, I have to pull the blinds when they go to work.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  1:18:01 PM  Show Profile
Kayce, good for you! Now just don'y FRY it! I made that mistake one time only. It was hard as a rock. These chickens need to be baked in the oven with plenty of liquid very slowly and low heat. For several hours. The meat will fall off the bone if done right. If it's cooked too hot and fast it's too tough. Or you could make chicken and dumplins. Yum! I sure hope it's good and tender. Another thing I do is soak them after I get them all cleaned, in salt water for several hours.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  4:23:09 PM  Show Profile
I know I'd get too attached to do it. LOL. When I was young, my mother tried to get me to, as she put it, ring a chickens neck. My goodness, no way, I tried one time and no. That chicken ran like crazy. LOL.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

marcyl
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

marcy
st peters mo
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  6:17:40 PM  Show Profile
I told my DH that if he wants to eat meat, he can take it to the butcher shop, we give them a pig, they give me neatly little wrapped packages. LOL. We will soon see how that goes.
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  7:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris, thanks for the tips for cooking it. Hopefully it will turn out good and my fam will look at me like "mom is so awesome it even tastes good".
I washed it real good and wrapped it and put it in the fridge. Should I stuff its cavity with anything?

We slaughtered a pig about a week ago and brought it to the butcher. MMMM he tastes good. My daughter sure can cook some tastey pork chops.

Well let me just say. It was an experience.

~Kayce~

Check out PenPals for FarmKids http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38599
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  05:47:10 AM  Show Profile
Kayce, you could put an onion inside. Just make sure you season it real good and have plenty of liguid in the pan and cover good. It should be great. Let us know how it turns out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  4:28:43 PM  Show Profile
OK. Yum Yum. Chicken turned out real good I followed Kris' advice. Thank you, Kris

I used a Mojo rub stuffed it with an onion and cooked real slow.
Even the duaghter that all of a sudden turned vegitarian ate it and of course she liked it. My skinny minny son ate the whole leg/thigh

Everyone enjoyed it but I dont know if I could do that again unless I just had too. but at least I can say that I COULD do it now.

~Kayce~

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  5:51:43 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad the chicken was good. You just never really know what they'll be like. The one we butchered that we fried was my first ever. And she was OLD! So I have learned my lesson.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:04:01 PM  Show Profile
i don't mind the process... i suppose i'm a "dirty" girl... i like getting my hands dirty. the way i look at it is these creatures are giving you their life to nourish yours. i always say a little prayer, even if it's hunting in the wild. my chickens have a good life, are well cared for, get lots of yummy treats! i'd much rather eat these creatures than what i buy in the store because i know what goes into them.... and what always keeps me going (if it's the gore that bugs you) is always remembering the amazing pioneer women of days gone by. we live in the heart of oregon/overland trail country, so it is a frequent pilgrimage for me. i figure if these tough women killed things to keep their families fed and strong, so can i! food, in itself, is an art to me... something to be relished, especially if you are doing everything from scratch especially raising and butchering.

i made the mistake last year when we butchered our first chicken (actually it was a rooster) of not slow cooking it. it did come out tough. i stuffed it with celery, onion, and spices and the meat soaked up the flavors a bit too much! i'll definately try something different come this summer...

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  05:34:51 AM  Show Profile
You ladies are awesome!
the meat bird was old for a meat bird but I had to finally suck it up and do something about it. It was taking up too much space. I have 2 roo's that will probably end up being butchered and I will be left with 5 laying hens.

I agree about knowing what we are eating now a days and I do look forward to having a place where I can actually raise more animals. I do have a manly man (with a genious IQ) that will be able to take care of butchering the larger animals.

~Kayce~

Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  05:44:49 AM  Show Profile
I want chickens. I really do. I want them for the eggs and eventually for the meat too.
I just don't know if I could bring myself to do all that Kayce did to eat her chicken!!! ;) In the first place all my animals have always been pets to me. In the second place, after killing it and cleaning it, I don't know if I would trust that I wouldn't poison my family!

Have you all watched Food, Inc? There's a part where that family from Virginia is killing and cleaning the chickens. I swear every time that boy took a chicken to put it in the cone thing it was saying "ow-ow-ow-ow"!!!! lol!!! Husband thinks I am imagining things, but it sure sounded like that to me!
I know when the time comes I will be able to do what I have to do......or get someone else to do it for me! ;)
It sounds like it was delicious Kayce and well worth it!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

Edited by - LakeOntarioFarmgirl on Feb 22 2010 05:46:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  06:47:48 AM  Show Profile
I did that once many yearsa go.....by time it was all plucked.. i was like never again :(

http://1craftylady.blogspot.com http://www.shadowwsofthegoddess.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beechwoodbear
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Jayne
Quakertown PA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  09:11:22 AM  Show Profile
I am impressed by you Kayce and all of you who can do the butchering!..We just got the okay to have chickens and now the discussion has turned to who does the "deed"..I have looked at a few videos on You tube and got kinda grossed out, but they were using a hatchet not the cone method, which looks a little less disturbing..
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Cleaned my first chicken EEWWW/mmmmmm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page