Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Who's watching the Olympics?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who's watching the Olympics? Next Topic  

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile
I love the Winter Olympics. I guess, living in upstate NY, the sports appeal to me more than the Summer ones. I don't have cable, but I've been staying up too late every night to watch on NBC. Anybody catch the men's figure skating last night? I had to go to bed after the women's slalom. I know Lindsey Vonn is the big star, but isn't Julia Mancuso a riot to watch? I think my husband has a crush on her.

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  09:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am!! I love watching them! They come on at 8:00 and end at 11:00 so I can only watch about 2 hours but it is so good!! I love the skating!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  10:17:26 AM  Show Profile
I absolutely am!!! Fell asleep during the last skate in men's figure skating competition last night, but was so glad to se Evan won the gold!

I got to see Shaun White in the half-pipe and the women's half-pipe last night. Lindsey Vonn is great and you're right, Julia Mancuso is a riot!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  10:20:57 AM  Show Profile
We love the Olympics, Amie, both Winter and Summer, but I think we like Winter more. Jus is a total hockey nut, so that keeps him well glued to the set. He even watches the women's hockey! I tried to watch the men's figure skating but got really sleepy. I seemed to love it more in Turino! Been loving the snow boarding and women's skiing, though. I'm not such a fan of Julia Mancuso (must be the tiara and the hip shake). Jus thinks she's a dork, but really likes Lindsay Vonn (he says her "eyes" are pretty ;)). I got a little creeped out watching the gal from Sweden, maybe? She was actually growling when she went out of the shoot a few days ago. Then she crashed, which was a bummer. I think she silvered last night.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  12:21:03 PM  Show Profile
EVERY NIGHT, ALL NIGHT!!!!
Love, love love them! Esp as an ex figure skater(50 lbs ago)
We love Evan for his work ethic & also the fact that Frank Carroll(his coach) has had several silver medalists, but never a gold. He is a class act(Evan & Frank both) & I was ecstatic for both of them. Evgeni Plushenko tired to intimidate & aside from a quad jump, the rest of his program was silly. Also love the Swiss Stephan Lambiel; his spins are centered and genius, & some of the up & coming Japanese men. Wait till the women's . Kim Ya Na of Korea is like no other.
Also love all the snowboarding & skiing, hockey, & curling. & yes, Jonni, Jus is right, Lindsey has gorgeous eyes(& looks OK in a bikini from what Sports Illustrated says!)
Ice Dancing tonight!! WooHoo! Love Charlie Whites blonde locks!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  12:55:05 PM  Show Profile
i have to say I am very interested this year...being in Canada!!!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  2:56:48 PM  Show Profile
I have always watched the prime time coverage but the other afternoon I was flipping thru the channels and stopped on the women's biathlon. Here they were going up and down hills skiing thru the woods with rifles strapped to their backs. What the heck? I was so impressed with their talent. They would stop at the shooting ranges at various spots on the course and had four shots at the target. The target was the size of a grapefruit about a football fields length away. You could see how hard they were panting and then they would steady themselves enough to shoot. These people have to train to be endurance skiers and great shots. I give it two thumbs up.

And my boys think Shaun White is a God!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

sewsweet
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Carol

Canada
172 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  4:28:54 PM  Show Profile
I have been watching, too. The games are taking place in my neck of the woods. The scenery you see from Vancouver is pretty close to what it looks like where I live. Some of the best moments so far for me: Alexandre Bilodeau winning gold in the men's moguls, Lindsey Vonn in skiing, the hockey events, curling, speed skating. I really enjoyed the opening ceremonies, especially the prairie segment and KD Lang's performance of "Hallelujah." She has such a great voice. I also enjoyed watching the various snowboarding/halfpipe competitions. Those guys are crazy...and talented!

Edited by - sewsweet on Feb 19 2010 6:42:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  03:29:01 AM  Show Profile
I love them too!!! Watching the opening ceremonies I was longer than I had been in forever!!! I enjoy watching just about any of it!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4743 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4743 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  06:16:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm hooked too! I know I'll have withdrawal symptoms when they end, but I can't stop watching.

I love Canada, it is such a beautiful country & NBC has taken some gorgeous shots of it.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  08:07:46 AM  Show Profile
Been watching some of it-been at the college a lot this week so I haven't been home as much as usual. Hoping to see bobsledding!

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  08:27:00 AM  Show Profile
We've been watching off and on, I have always loved the figure skating. The skiing, luge etc are just plain impressive. DH and I got sucked into watching the curling last night, I don't think I understand it still but it was fun to watch.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  6:11:49 PM  Show Profile
been watching them almost every day... DH insists we must watch them because we'll regret it if we don't. lots of nice looking foreign guys... but bode miller is one of the cutest! :)

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  05:53:25 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to all the Canadian gals out there but I just have to say how proud I am of the US Men's Hockey team! It was a raucous night at our little cottage with 10 people crammed into the living room, mercilessly ringing an antique cow bell!!

Can't wait to see the gold medal game next Sunday!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  4:37:39 PM  Show Profile
Go USA! we would have watched it, since my DH loves hockey, but we didn't have the channel... but we'll definately catch the gold medal game!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  6:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni.. we SOOOO need to get Jim & Justin together
Jim had a church council meeting(he is pres) & he was beside himself that he missed some of the game. He had me on the cell the second he got out, & while we did not have a cow bell, Jim's vocals came in a close second..GO USA!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

papersmiles
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Barbara
Bluffton IN
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  12:11:21 AM  Show Profile
Yawn.....blink.....sigh.....yawn.....rub eyes.... Yeppers, been ...yawn... watching the Olympics since the start. ...shaking cobwebs from brain... Sure wish they were being held a little closer ....blink...blink... to my time zone. At my age, operating on so little sleep.......... Oops fell off 'puter chair. Uhhh, oh yeah, operating on so little sleep is fuzzing up the few active brain cells I used to haaaaaaave.......zzzzzzz...snort....zzzzzzz
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who's watching the Olympics? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page