Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Something Fishy:The Answer is now posted!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Something Fishy:The Answer is now posted! Next Topic  

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  3:26:04 PM  Show Profile
Unsure about other states...but you can find them in southeastern KY in the Spring...

"Dry land fish are a type of mushroom...actually the correct name for them is "morel".

Many people here in southeastern KY look for them every Spring...usually in mid April...they can pop up over night and usually do so after a warm rain...
Information about them can be found on the internet and they are delicious...especially breaded in cornmeal and fried.

Please make sure you pick the right thing if you look for them...as you know many mushrooms are poisonous.

Thanks girls for keeping quiet...if you were one of those who knew the answer...this was really fun.

"Country Girl at Heart"...

Edited by - wildflower17 on Feb 17 2010 5:30:28 PM

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  3:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
ummmm....... thinking..........Have no idea. lol :) :)
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  5:25:54 PM  Show Profile
I know but I am not tellinggggggggg

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  5:31:52 PM  Show Profile
hmmm,something fishy, are they peepers?!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  5:42:14 PM  Show Profile
oh miss wilma, I KNOW that you know....weren't we talking about this at the gathering?
Miss you..Hug Sterl for me
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  5:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is so intresting!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  6:26:49 PM  Show Profile
I know what a Morel Mushroom we have them here and they are good.. But I have never heard it called that. Must be a KY. thing. Is there a logical why they are called 'dry land fish'? MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Feb 17 2010 6:30:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  6:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Good question Mary Beth...however I don't know the answer...the only thing is that since before I was born all of my family used to look for them...they were probably a rare thing as they only come up in the Spring here where I live...I remember my mom and dad telling me how my grandparents and aunts and uncles used to love to go out and look for them...

They have write ups about them in the local newspapers and "everyone brags about how many they found"...quite the conversation around here in mid April...

Smiles...

Judy

"Country Girl at Heart"...
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  7:13:23 PM  Show Profile
I had no idea what that was. Thank you. I learn something new every day!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  06:40:47 AM  Show Profile
Very interesting. Back in the middle ages people used swine to forge for mushrooms.

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  06:44:43 AM  Show Profile
I think it's because they are a high source of protein (like fish) and early foragers figured that out. Miss Wilma is the expert, though--she and Sterl hunt for them and she knows all about em'!

I have always set out to look for them but have never been lucky enough--early spring after rains is the best time, they just seem to pop up over night. There are "false morels" so you have to be cautious.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  07:40:39 AM  Show Profile
... I'll admit that I knew what this stuff was only because I cheated and googled for the answer! (giggles)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  07:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
I love Morels too. My husband and I can be found out scouring the forests for them in April. I am hoping this will be a good year because of the snow and moisture in the ground! Yes you do have to be careful about picking them, although after you find a true morel you will always know what they look like. They come in different colors too. Blond and black and brown and each have a very different flavor!

I must admit I had never heard of them referred to dry land fish...although my husband said that is what his dad called them...weird!

"God made rainy days so gardeners could get their housework done!" unknown

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2010 :  08:28:09 AM  Show Profile
I've heard the reason they are called dry land fish because lots of people cook them like they would fish--breaded and then fried. Since true morels are hollow we prefer to stuff them and then bake them. They are delicious. Jim is a retired mycologist and every spring he leads a foray on our local wildlife refuge. It's so popular that we now have to limit the number of people. The first year if I let everyone go who wanted to come we would have had over 75 people! We are anxiously awaiting mushroom season. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Something Fishy:The Answer is now posted! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page