Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How are you celebrating "Fat Tuesday"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How are you celebrating "Fat Tuesday"? Next Topic  

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  10:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
I am taking my DH out for his birthday dinner to the small supper club down the road. Of course it is buy one get one free night!!!

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  11:16:12 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you mentioned that it even IS Fat Tuesday!!! I completely forgot and need to get ready for Ash Wednesday tomorrow. Gotta remember to fast and go to Mass tomorrow night.

So no plans for today, but putting up a reminder to myself for tomorrow.

Edited to say: I was saved by the National Pancake Day thread! So tonight we'll feast on pancakes, eggs and bacon!! Still probably not that exciting, but it will work for a Fat Tuesday in a pinch.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com

Edited by - chaddsgirl on Feb 16 2010 2:32:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  11:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Our local church has a Shrove Tuesday pancake supper with fastnachts. Will be going there with a group of friends - yummy!!!

Luanne

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  11:55:36 AM  Show Profile
Pounchki's!!

Mardi what?

Today is Paczki (Paczki) Day, the Polish version of the "Fat Tuesday" celebration every year on the eve of Lent season. It is still widely celebrated in Poland and in areas of America and elsewhere with ethnic Polish populations. It's pronounced more like "PUNCH-kee," which leads many to use the common but incorrect spelling of "punchki."

Paczki Day is named after the eponymous Polish pastry that is much like a doughnut. Like doughnuts, they can be glazed, powdered, and filled with creamy or fruity fillings.

Paczki Day is big in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas of the United States, where many Polish immigrants settled. Their descendants keep the tradition alive today!

"The best mirror is an old friend."
- George Herbert

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  4:21:51 PM  Show Profile
oh Melody....my heart sings at the thought of Pouchki's.....Although I am not polish, I grew up in a polish neighbourhood...the prune filling is my FAV!! I haven't had one in years:(

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  7:24:42 PM  Show Profile
We had Jambalaya and Muffalettas at my son's request - he was in New Orleans rebuilding houses last year for Mardi Gras and developed a taste for the food - then King Cake for dessert
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  08:55:59 AM  Show Profile
We have a tradition in our family that I make potatoe pancakes for dinner on Fat Tuesday, they are made from mashed potatoes and are served with sour cream and/or applesauce, these potatoe pancakes were sent to us almost every Sunday by my dear departed father-in-law and boy oh boy are they gooood!

Sue Feely
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How are you celebrating "Fat Tuesday"? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page