Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  07:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday I was being a bit lazy and decided to whip up a quick pizza. I used budget mix and the recipe for flat bread (Pizza Crust) that came with it. It took about 2 minutes to make and a few more to roll out on my pan. I had a sauce in the making on the stove- just some tomato sauce with some onion, garlic, italion seasoning, salt and pepper. Then a generous amount of cheese...

Our oven runs really hot so I popped it in for 15 minutes and it was perfect! My daughter who has been a picky eater lately has eatten two big pieces!

I am going to have to send MaryJane a big thank you for making such great Budget Mix! With as little time as we get together as a family these days- I really appreciate things that make a quick health meal!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  07:21:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Very cool! I am going to have to try the pizza now!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  07:27:46 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to try that method when i have little time.

Here is my recipe for pizza dough - sometimes, if I'm short
on time, i don't bother rising - makes it not "quite" as good,
but still fresh and home-made.

I'll be giving your method a try this week. Thanks for sharing.

Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees.

Ÿ 1 & 1/2 Cup warm water
Ÿ 21/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
Ÿ 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing stretched dough
Ÿ 4 cups bread flour
Ÿ 1 & 1/2 teaspoons salt
Ÿ Vegetable oil or spray for oiling bowl Semolina for peel

1. Measure '/2 Cup of warm water into 2-cup measuring cup. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand until yeast dissolves and swells, about 5 minutes.

2. Add remaining 1 cup warm tap water and olive oil. Combine with proofed yeast mixture.

3. Combine flour and salt in work bowl. Add liquid ingredients, let rest 15-20 minutes and mix until it forms a ball. Mix until dough is smooth and satiny, (add a tiny bit of flour if necessary or tiny amount of water if necessary.

4. Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface; knead by hand with a few strokes to smooth, round ball. Put dough into medium-large bowl (sprayed with pam) and cover with paper towel. Let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.

5. At this point you can make pizzas with your dough or freeze it. See below for how to freeze it.

6. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and use chef's knife or dough scraper to halve dough

7. I fold my dough into thirds(like for a pie) and put it on my stone/pan and unfold. Edge it by folding over edges. I Then put my toppings on and brush crust edge with olive oil. Cook for 12 minutes.

I preheat my pizza stones with oven, but it takes lots of practice not to burn your finger tips when putting dough on it and you need a heat proof surface to put stone while you make pizza. If you prefer, roll your dough out on a cold pan/stone, put toppings, olive oil on and back as directed above in the preheated oven.

To Freeze Dough:

After first rising, cut dough into two portions and then roll into log and put in a ziplock bag. Roll the bag up, no need to ziplock and then wrap with tinfoil and put in freezer immediately. When ready to use dough take out of freezer and let thaw unwrapped and then roll away.

Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  09:04:21 AM  Show Profile
I know this is totally cheating and not nearly as healthy, but we always have flour tortillas in the fridge. On nights when we don't want to cook or dirty many cooking dishes - or just when our daughter really wants it - we make tortilla pizza. Just tortilla, sauce, cheese. Fast, easy and relatively healthy. I have come to really love a thin, crispy tortilla crust. But I have a box of budget mix and will be making a pizza crust this week.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  10:10:03 AM  Show Profile
I like that idea - i'll have to try it.
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  10:36:23 AM  Show Profile
You have to order the Farm Kitchen issue that is on the sisterhood special. It is full of easy ideas just like the one Alee gave. I just am so pleased I bought one. I am thinkin about getting one for a friend too.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  7:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by marjean

You have to order the Farm Kitchen issue that is on the sisterhood special. It is full of easy ideas just like the one Alee gave. I just am so pleased I bought one. I am thinkin about getting one for a friend too.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo

What Marsha said!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  7:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree! I love the Farm Kitchen issue! It's a great cook book!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Farmgirl Pizza! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page