Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic
Page: of 102

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4263 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4263 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  04:43:50 AM  Show Profile
Kristen, sometimes when you change a grain ration, the animals don't care for it. I don't have experience with goats, but cows. You could mix in some of the old grain with the new till she gets used to it.
The goat pictures are very cute! Kris your baby will enjoy having company!
We are also having very mild weather. It is nice for the animals. I received the starter I ordered yesterday, so made a batch of colby right away. I had made a big batch of mozzarella in the morning, and 2 batches of butter. Today I can take it easy! Well as easy as I can.
Need to clean the coop and some pens one of these days. The sheep waste so much of their hay, and I try to keep that cleaned out of their pen to keep it out of the wool.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  06:47:13 AM  Show Profile
Kris, these girls are about 1 1/2 to 2 hours north of us, but I'm headed that way today anyways to pick up our rabbits and chickens & ducks from a friend who's been fostering them for us until we could get a shed put up at our place. Kathryn, thanks for the book recommendations. I think I'll be hitting Amazon tonight!

How tough is it to vaccinate? Penelope will be six weeks on Thursday, so I'm getting close to needing to handle that.

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679
Blog: farmgirlby40.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  08:10:29 AM  Show Profile
good morning all, hope this finds you all warm and dry. well as close to it as we can. you all have been so busy. i am shopping for a buck right now. i made an offer but i was too low. we now have 4 does. KRISTI i bet you are loving the surge. i know i love mine. belle is waiting for me now. since our GS was born we have been busy. we have gotten maudie home. made the house pymt. yipee now shots for some of the girls. i cannot see them come in. its very frustrating. silent heats almost. i am hoping the little bull i got is old enough. HEY LINDA happy face here too. days have been 40 to 60. nights cold but not bad. crazy year i think all over. an owl got my silver fox bunny. he took her face and brain. i called county they said yes it was an owl. it got startled since it never came back for the rest. well our pig is not bred. bummer. lisa is going today for our new one sweet pea. if i had a horse to ride i would now. what great days we are having here. KRIS i sure hope abby is ok. i too have used safegard with preg. does. MAMABULLA to have babies right now oh my. they are so cute. you have a lot to get done and back home. penelope is going to be so excited to get a goat buddy let alone two. well my phone just rang. i was able to pick up 6 bales 100 pounds each of alfalfa for $40.00. our hay right now is averaging 230.00 a ton ouch. belle and maudie (cripple cow) need it. i can be simple minded. i like storeys guide and then fiasco farm for info too. guess i better feed all the critters. happy days to you all sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  3:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Kris so glad your getting your girls. The black roan doe with the white looks just like my old doe Sylvia that is 13 years old. They look almost identical.I bet you are super excited. They look like beautiful healthy little does.

Kathryn I just have always held them over. Quite a few of my friends have always done the same. I have done this the past 19 years. The young ones would probably be okay but the old one is my biggest concern.The other problem is its not unusual for my does to have trips the first time and give them and me trouble with the delivery.
Today the old doe was acting like she might be cycling a little bit and she had more stuff on her bottom. She was acting like a buck with the other does and being quite the stinker todaybutting and acting quite silly. She usually is very quiet and mellow. So I hope it worked for her. She had me laughing today because the expression on her face and her tongue hanging out was quite the picture. This doe has always been quite the lady.

Its good to know that your doelings have done well at that age. I usually don't kid until late Feb. and March to April so my does are pretty young by the end of the year. Out of the 3 young does that were bred accidently 2 of them are probably around 100 lbs. So I am not gonna worry as much as before if your does have done so well. That makes me feel much better.

Wow Sherrye we have hawk problems but not had owls problems yet.Sorry about your bunny that is terrible. Glad you are having some of this good weather. We had another nice day again today. It was cold this morning around 19 but it warmed up to about 51.

Michele I wish I had the milk to make cheese. That sounds wonderful. No one around me sells milk unless you buy shares in the animal. But in a few months I should be getting some goat milk if all goes well.

Kris good luck with your doe. I have always used the safeguard 3 days in a row for the preggers and the ivomec I don't use on them until they are 3 months pregnant. Not sure what else is safe. I would ask your vet to be on the safeside. I can't remember if the cycectin was safe or not. Have not had much experence with that. Let me know how she is.

Well gotta get my dinner is done. We are eating kinda late tonight. We went today and picked up 100 bales of hay and got it put up and by the time we were done with that it was time for chores.I wanted to get it in before the weather gets bad again. We live on hills and its hard to get hay up the driveway when its snows and then down the other hill to the barn. So a sigh of relief now thats it done. You all take good care.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jan 09 2012 05:50:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  8:24:02 PM  Show Profile
The new girls are home safe and sound. :o) They are so sweet! Tomorrow will be interesting getting these girls acquainted with the bottle and milk replacer. Wish me luck! Penelope walked right up to them and said hi. It was sweet. Our German shepherd who has incredible mothering instincts (although she's never been a mother), made sure to lick faces. LOL

I was able to walk into the goat yard to get the babies, and this lady's goats were so sweet and friendly... Made me feel really good about getting these girls from her. I know this may sound weird to some, but it was like this total peaceful energy among the herd.

Good night, all!

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  9:07:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,
It's good to hear all your going-ons at your farms,Kris B I am so glad you got your does and I know what you mean about that good feeling amongst the herd,that's sure what a person would want to see :)
I bet penelope is just chuffed at her new company and you have such a pretty assortment of Nubians now!
Sherrye,I'm sorry about your bunny,owls can be real bold and break into coops and hutches in the middle of the night,so sorry this happened to you,I hate that feeling of going out to find one of the animals killed by some predator,it's so disheartening.
Linda it sounds like you have a good routine going on with your does,I know you know what's best for your herd,I just wanted to share my experiences with breeding young does s all herds are different,mine tend to have singles or twins but like you said when you start getting into the triplets that sure adds a few more legs and can present you with a few more variations during kidding.
Has the injection worked on your older doe?
Do you have to follow up with an ultrasound or other test to know for sure?
I hope it all works out,I've never tried aborting them once bred but sure considered it when my Nubian buck got out and I was sure had bred those two Nigerian Dwarf does I had but luckily they came back into strong heat cycles and I ended up trading them off to a young gal who bred them to another Dwarf buck so it all worked out but I was sure worried about the kidding risks there.
Kris your Abby doe sounds like my Nellie,she's always the one I worry over because of her weight and the issues she has had in the past with ketosis ,worms and such,she keeps me on my toes.
Well,not much going on here to report,just checking in to see what's going on with you ladies,take care,I hope the weather is nice in your areas.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  06:02:06 AM  Show Profile
Good news my old doe Sylvia is having a good cycle today so the Lutlyse worked and she is not pregnant. I have not used this stuff and was worried it wouldn't work. I knew she was acting kinda weird yesterday and today she is yelling for the boys. I am so relieved. I have never had to deal with such a scare like this before. As for the rest who knows at this point but not as worried as before thanks to Kathryn. I gave Sylvia her pain meds this morning and once they kicked in she went over and started yelling for the boys. Thank goodness they are in a much securer field. But I will be watching them today for sure. Sylvia sure looks silly the way she is looking down the hill at them. She's so old but still has the spirit.

Kris glad you got your babies. Love it when you enter a goat herd like that and you feel that peace. Thats how my goats are. I have been to farms where you can tell the animals are not happy. Its so sad but when you go to a farm where there is such good energy you know you will be getting good happy babies. Sounds like you now have a happy little herd started. Congrats!!!

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  07:15:08 AM  Show Profile
linda i am glad your girl is ok. it would be such a worry too. i know we all love these critters. KRIS. i bet feeding time is noisy at your place. are the other kids on bottle. how fun new babies. now the other KRIS, how is abbey today? i hope she is better and eating again. we have rain forecast for tonight. now for us this is crazy. we should be snow deep and cold. NOT so it is 36 and cloudy. then this passes and we get pleasant. go figure we took gifts we made to our kids and new GS. it was very fun. they always are so soft and smell so good. today i need to run the tractor. the barn is poopy. sweet pea is here. she is still sleeping now. i am so happy about how long she is. now i shop for a boy. not much new here either. ready for a movie and some candy today later. happy days sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  11:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Linda I'm glad your Sylvia came through alright with no pregnancy,that's real good news.
I have also been having problems keeping my bucks contained,just when I think I've got the newest escape route blocked,tied,wired and electrified there they are again and they can sure wreak havoc with a person's breeding plans.
I had one doe who I was planning to take to an outside buck but instead they got out and got to her,it was a disappointment but I guess there's always next year,in the meantime I'll get this pen rebuilt and fortified better.
There's a lady wanting to buy my buck from me and I'm considering it,it's time for a new one anyways but I'm kind of attached to him and hate to let him go and she's also one of those who try to really chew you down on price and I hate that,I price my animals fairly,I'm willing to work out a reasonable sum once someone comes to look at an animal but I really think it's rude for someone to ask over the phone if you would come down on price before they've even seen the animal.
Anyways,it's been a painful day around here,first I was chucking hay over the fence to my horses using a pitchfork and Raven's old pony tried to grab the hay off the fork while I was in midswing so I accidentally speared him in the nostril with one of the tines,not awful bad but it bled pretty good and I rinsed it out with iodine which was quite a clothes staining wrestle.
Later in the morning I went down the road to put some shoes on my friends horse and he jerked his foot out of my hand with an open unclenched nail and tore up my lower palm and wrist,I am pretty careful and clench every nail just after I pound it in but he got me just as I was reaching for my little duck bills to clench it down,ooh that hurt :{
I was gabbing and not had a very good hold on him anyways because he's such a gentle old plod of a horse so he reminded me to keep a good hold and watch out for those nails.
So I'm going to spend the rest of the day working with stuff that isn't sharp the way the day is going!
I hope all you ladies have a great day,thanks Linda for updating us on your Sylvia doe,I don't have any experience with that Lutlyse stuff either so was hoping all would work out well for you with it.
Have a good one,I will check in on you gals some other time :)

Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  1:03:45 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn... Ouch! Staying away from sharp things is a great idea! I hope you and the pony heal quickly...

Glad to hear everyone else seems to be doing alright. :o) Penelope isn't quite sure what to do with these other girls. She's going along like business as usual, and these new girls keep calling for their mama. Poor things... They are sisters, so I'm glad they still have each other. They seem to be doing pretty well with the bottle, too, and I expect them to really chow down tonight.

I had let them outside this morning and ended up playing chase the baby goats around the house, before I even had my first sip of coffee... Thank goodness Molly, my German shepherd, has those natural instincts and helped to round them up. My husband had a good laugh over it. hehehe

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  2:21:42 PM  Show Profile
oh kris, sorry but i am laughing. chasing baby goats tes what fun. glad you are having adventures. i have never tried the drugs either. glad to hear they can work. KATHRYN, i hope you are ok?? a gal i sold a goat to last year called. she has a nubian buck. she had never had money to pay me. so she gave me this guy. young healthy fertile nubian. they may bring him today. i also get to use their new boer buck for a breeding when he is old enough. that was a good trade. so i have 2 boer 1 lamancha and a cross boer nubian to get done. so i am trying to post pics of sweet pea. she is so much fun. she rolls over on her back for belly rubs. she is our new sow happy days to you all sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  2:57:16 PM  Show Profile
No apologies necessary, Sherry... It was pretty darned funny!! I may try that as my new exercise routine. Great cardio!! LOL

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  3:09:32 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye I'm glad you got your pig,she sounds like a real love and I'm glad you're happy with her.
Good deal on the buck too,I'm shopping around for another Nubian buck and have contemplated getting a boer buck too to raise Nubian Boer crosses for thier dual purpose benefits but I haven't quite decided yet,all my does are bred for this season so I have time to think about it and shop around.
My hand is okay,that nail tore in pretty deep and it sure bled but it's what I get for not having a good hold on his foot,I got distracted,one lady was having some trouble with her horse in the round pen and we thought there was going to be a wreck so I was looking up and didn't wring the end of that nail off before grabbing for my duck bills and the horse was getting a little worried with all the commotion going on so though he's usually pretty good he jerked that foot right through my hand,I should have been paying better attention,we just thought that lady was about to get hurt so we were gabbing and gawking at all that,trying to determine who had thier cell phones on them to dial 911 if needed.
Pony is fine too,he's got a bit of a puncture inside his nostril and a good scratch on the edge of his nostril outside and he sure fussed about it,shaking his head and spraying drops of blood everywhere,I thought I had ruined him,thought maybe I had even hit him in the eye but i caught him up,looked at it and then went for the iodine and think that should be enough,I sure feel bad about it though,maybe I should give him a tetanus booster,just now thought of that.
I'm playing it safe the rest of the day,even little Wilson,Raven's pet Nigerian Dwarf bit me in the butt hard while I was scrubbing the water tub,today is just not my day,I think I might have a bruise he bit me so hard!
Well ladies,I'm going to go throw my saddle on one of these horses out here ,today is the day to check my cinch twice,glue my butt to the saddle and screw my helmet on tight because it seems like I'm finding trouble everywhere but I've got to get out and ride some fence lines.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  7:01:58 PM  Show Profile
oh my goodness, i have a good smile on tonight. headed for the tub. a good hot soak every night for me. i am smiling all the way. you be sure and use good glue on your butt. LOL 3 is the charm so you will probably be safe tomorrow. i soooo want to ride. longing for those happy days of riding again sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  7:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Lots going on here lately. That's good to see. Lots of new kids and pigs. Kathryn, that sounds like it could have been really bad. I bet you'll be hurting tomorrow. Be careful and keep something on it. That always scares me with all the cuts I get around here and all the germs and all. The man up the road lost his arm from a cut a few years back. I think about that when I get cut and try to keep it clean and bandaged up when I work with the animals. You just never know. So be careful.

Kris, I bet you all are enjoying those new kids. They are so fun when they are little. Have you had goats before?

I have to go get my bucks tomorrow. I was going to get them today but hubby had the car all day. Then it rained. I'm going to worm them good and feed them all they want. Then they have a date at a farm over the ridge with about 7 does. But first I need to make sure they are healthy. And that Abby's bred.

It's so foggy out there tonight. It has been the past several nights. The warm air and wet ground make for alot of fog. Spooky! I am thankful for a nice dry home. And that the animals have dry places to be.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  9:22:30 PM  Show Profile
Kris, nope... I've never had goats before, so this is all very new, but I'm learning quickly! And, of course, I know there will be a ton to learn in the years to come. As hubby and I were tucking the goat kids to bed in a large dog kennel, I laughed and told him how we'd have to remember this night because some day we'd be looking over the goat pasture and watching our grown does with their baby-filled bellies down to their knees and remembering how long ago it was when all three of them fit together in a dog kennel in our master bathroom... LOL

We've had a lot of fog the last few nights, too... And we have woods behind us and next to us one side, so the creep factor is pretty good! I am also grateful for a nice dry home and for the fact that all of our critters are tucked in with us for now.

Just out of curiosity, how do you work your buck dating service? Do you take them over for a quickie, or do they stay overnight? I've bred rabbits, so in that case it's usually so fast... Then you might put the buck back in with the doe several hours later to increase the chances of more babies. Just wondering about goats.

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  07:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Good day ladies!!! Long time no talk! I have been so busy trying to get family things taken care of and real estate and farm. I am letting go of real estate. It just costs so much to keep my license active and I cant do everything. I prefer my farm, garden and home. I need a part time job to help with the bills. SO I am out looking.

All my girls are good. I had to have a c section on one doe I bought from a lady. I was worried she had been breed to an alpine, she kept struggling, I was getting ready to be gone for a week and I just couldn't take the risk. So I had a c section done. The boys did not make it. But she did. She is still doing great!!!
I currently have half of my does due for March babies and will be breeding the other half soon for early summer babies. I am hoping to keep in milk all year so I can make milk soap and cheese all year.

I hope all of you have had a great end to 2011 and are looking forward to 2012.
Well computer work for the amish guys business I help run and cleaning today! So off I must go!

Come visit my blog
http://angieruralliving.blogspot.com/

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  08:20:26 AM  Show Profile
Angie, sorry to hear about the babies but glad to hear your doe is doing well. Good luck on the job hunt! :o)

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  2:56:49 PM  Show Profile
Angie, that's so sad. Is the doe ok after that? I have never had that happen and hope we never do. So far it's been good. So how many do you have that are pregnant now? That's how I plan to do it this year. I'm going to breed my young does in the spring. I am tired of not having milk. I want to have milk all year.

I went and got my poor little scrawny bucks. Well, the Nubian looked better than the Lamancha. He is horribly skinny. What the guy does is put out a round bale that's been outside and puts it in the pasture for the goats. So they had wet nasty hay. And they throw lots of scraps out there too. I don't think these guys will go back down there. I think I'll have him bring the does here. I wormed them real good with Ivermec and will go get some Cydectin and give them that in 2 weeks. I'll also ask what I could give Abby when I go. She is ok, just likes the 12% all grain. She's eating that. But when I put the 16% in she won't eat it. I've been giving them extra hay too. We are so wet here it's awful. And due for more. So much mud. So I hope the bucks will put on some weight. It could be the time of year and they are young too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  4:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Kris my bucks get kind of lean during this time of year,they have alot more on thier mind than eating it seems ;)but I up thier grain ration when rut season starts winding down and they start picking up thier weight in February for me.
Sounds like the guy that had your bucks didn't account much for thier dietary preferences,some people think goats will eat anything and it's often quite the opposite.
Glad to hear Abby is doing okay,I have a couple does who are real picky and a few others who will eat anything and hoover down any kind of grain or hay you give them,I wish I had more of them than the picky eaters.
The weather has been mild here but we're expecting cold and snow sometime tonight or tomorrow,it was so nice today we spent most of the day working on reinforcing the buck pen and I think we did it this time,they are all upset and jumping around looking for thier old escape routes,we'll see in the morning which one of us wins this one.
Once we got the pen reinforced we saddled up and rode down the road a little ways to take advantage of the warm day before it gets cold.
My hand is alright today but got a little puffed up overnight,those horseshoe nails are super sharp so it tore up my hand but I've been keeping it disinfected and covered.
Pony's nose is alright too,I checked it this morning and all seems okay,I'll be much more careful pitching hay to them with a pitchfork.
I've been envisioning that little butt biting Wilson on the grill with an apple in his mouth because he sure enough did leave a bruise on my derriere,what a rotten little goat,he's lucky he's so cute!
Well ladies,I better go get ready to go,we have a 4-H meeting tonight,take care!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  06:20:47 AM  Show Profile
Angie sorry about the babies but glad your doe is okay. Never have been through a c-section before except for myself.Hope she heals well and you find a part time job close to home.

Kristin glad your doe is at least eating the 12 percent grain thats a good thing. I wondered if maybe she didnt' like the other stuff. They sure can be picky. Maybe you could top dress it with something higher in protein that she likes. Good you got the bucks back. With some tlc I am sure you will get them back in shape very quickly.

Kathryn glad your hand and your horse are healing. You sure did have a heck of a day. When I have those kind of days its kinda scary. When stuff like that starts happening I stay away from power tool, tractors and sharp knives....lol. Hope your bucks stay in so far mine are still in.

Sherrye sounds like your new pig was a super good purchase. She sounds like a sweetheart glad you were able to get her.

We are raining here quite heavy today. Our nice sunny weather is gone. I sure did enjoy it so so much.Got alot of things done outside that still needed to be done. Today it was pouring while doing chores and already muddy. Its amazing how quickly the mud forms. Hopefully we will get another break down the road before to long. The weather man is talking like this will turn to snow and accumulate. Well gotta get running. I am out of bread and need to get some made. Catch ya later.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  07:12:53 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering what other people's farms look like right now. It poured here all night with thunder and lightening. This morning there are ponds and lakes and streams all over in the yard and pastures and lots. I had to put stepping stones from the gate to the sheep stalls and chicken coops a few weeks ago just so we don't have to swim through the mud and streams. I am so glad we put the concrete down around the first stall. It's nice and dry in there now. Otherwise it would be under water in there. BUT, just when I thought I was going to have to go out and feed in the pouring rain, it stopped!! And a little later the sun even popped out for awhile. I got to move the sheep next door. They are happy. I hope it stops for awhile.

The bucks look better already this morning. It's amazing what some good hay and feed will do. Plus it's just them with no one else to hog the feed. They do well together. I know the people at this other farm really over spoil their goats. They are such pets. And their barn they built for them is like a little palace. They are VERY well fed and cared for and have nice warm dry shelter. So I will not worry at all about them being over there.

Sherrye, is this sow already bred? Has she been before? You just have so much going on. Did you get one of those survey forms? I am just wondering why everyone with land and animals hasn't gotten one.

Linda, I hope you stay warm up there. We really haven't had much cold yet. I hardly have my heat on. It's back off again today and comfortable in here. I got hot this morning outside and had to shed the coat and hat. Just short sleeves and jeans.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  09:31:30 AM  Show Profile
My doe is doing great since her c section. This lady was just certain she would not get breed by an alpine. Ok different breeds make no difference! That is why I bought her. I knew that she could be breed, and she would need some good care. She is just a Nigerian, carrying those two alpine babies was just too much for her!!!
The vet says she will be fine for breeding in 2012 due 2013! I can't believe it! I thought she would never carry again.

I have Bella,Ruth,Ebony,Fawn and Cotton due for this spring.
I will be breeding June,and Tango for summer babies and then Blondie and Blossom this fall for winter babies.

We are getting ready to re do fencing and re arranging some things here so that we can get better use of our land.
I want to move my horse and llama to the five acres done the road, This will allow for us to better use this property for the goats.

Kathryn, I am so glad your hand and the horse are ok. I have had some days like that.I cant imagine how bad your hand must hurt. Take good care of it!

Kristin , you got a survey form? What is up with those? I was told by BOAH, they were suppose to be just if you want to do it. But mine says you are mandatory to do it. I am wondering what is up with those forms.

How is that new pig Sherrye?

I hope you all stay warm, dry and safe. We are expecting one heck of a snow tomorrow! Lots of blowing!!!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

MamaBulla
True Blue Farmgirl

209 Posts

Kris
Midland NC
USA
209 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  09:54:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm sure everyone does things for her own reasons, but I was wondering how you all schedule your goat breeding. I'm nowhere near going there, but it never hurts to start thinking about things early. I have the three doelings, 2 registered Nubian sisters (Isabella and Zoe) and my first Nubian (Penelope) who is not registered but is supposed to be purebred. (I'm not a goat snob or anything... Just describing my girls) They are basically the same age, within three weeks. I'm in no hurry, so I was thinking I'd breed them when they are around 18 months. My main purpose in having goats at this point is for milk and all the products that can be made from milk. I'm wondering if I should breed all three, or if I should save one to breed later so that I have a year round milk supply. I could always freeze some milk to have on hand if I ever have a kid emergency of some sort. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, this may be a silly question, but what do you guys where when you're doing your farm chores? I'm thinking I really need to have some specific farm clothes (besides my pink shirt that is still stained from our activated charcoal night!) Thanks!

Kris B.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirl Sister #3679

Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  12:37:40 PM  Show Profile
No stupid questions Mamabulla! I always wear comfortable old pants or sweats, never shorts, and scrub shirts or thermal under scrub shirts. I like scrub shirts because of the comfort and the pockets. I can carry meds, or scissors or whatever. I have been known to run out and do chores in a night gown, or bare foot [not a good idea]! I have even done chores in one of my aprons [ one got ripped this way]! Just be you!!

Come visit my blog

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 102 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic All Things Dairy (Goats, Cows and Sheep) Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page