Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Starlings Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  3:30:44 PM  Show Profile
This is the time of day (also early in the morning) when flocks of starlings fly over my house on their way from the fields to the river, where they roost at night. It takes at least half an hour for all them to pass through here. There are lots of old trees in my neighborhood (it used to be an orchard many years ago) and the starlings like to roost in the trees as they fly towards the river. They're pretty noisy (and messy) and I sometimes wonder just how many thousands of them come through here each day. It seems like certain times of the year they come through here morning and evening--sometimes I wonder just how far they fly to get to the fields. I know the farmers don't like them, but I kind of feel sorry for them, they must have a hard life. Anyone else have lots of starlings? (and wish they didn't?!)
Cindy

remembrance farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Cheryl
"Remembrance Farm" Ky
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  4:59:09 PM  Show Profile
I do.....dont like them at all they made their way into my barn and took up permant residence. Yikessssss

c

I will work harder!
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  8:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Can't stand them...they were introduced into the US in the late 1800's and have been reaking havoc ever since...not just for farmers and such, but on our native birds. One of the handful of birds not protected by the International Migratory Bird Treaty, and there's a reason for that.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  3:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Well, those darned starlings "bombed" my dog this evening when I let him out! I don't even try to take him for a walk when they're passing through. I know they compete with native species, but it was stupid humans who brought them here in the first place. I'm not saying that I like them, but please don't blame the birds for something that wasn't their fault.
cindy
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Starlings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page