Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  8:32:40 PM  Show Profile
I use Colgate Pro-Health. It's probably not as healthy for me as natural toothpastes, but I can't stand that chalky taste that comes when I use those. I have gum problems so I also use peroxide and baking soda fairly often. Does a great job bubbly out the yuckies and then I follow up with Scope mouth wash or something like that. I hate the "grit" taste of baking soda..Bluh!!
hugs
jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

corrabelle
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Corrabelle
Hamilton, Morrowville ontario, Kansas
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  12:05:37 PM  Show Profile
I use Toms of Maine and baking soda. I don't recomenc the "fennel" flavored one though...I brushed with that and went to bed and my husband told me that I had pizza breath!! haha

Corrabelle
http://themayberrysparrow.com
A Kansas gal living in Ontario. Sigh.

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  02:15:08 AM  Show Profile
I have many sensitivities to man-made chemicals, as well as many natural products, so finding something that did not leave sores in my mouth was a challenge. I now just use baking soda and I use a 50/50 peroxide and water solution to swish with, that gets the plaque off and whitens.
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  10:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
I use ProNamel most of the time. My dentist recommended it and we all like it around here. One thing that I do that my mom recommended is rinse at least once daily with a solution of 1/2 hydrogen peroxide + 1/2 water. I mix a weeks worth in an empty mouth wash bottle and add a little mouth wash to make it taste good. Hydrogen peroxide tastes nasty to me! LOL

Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  8:14:42 PM  Show Profile
I am addicted to Tom's of Maine. I use their "whole care," which has whitening and tartar control. They used to make a baking soda kind, which I LOVED because my teeth always felt so clean and silky. I also like Tom's because their toothpaste is really not sweet (although they do use some xylitol as a sweetener) and it is intensely minty. It's like brushing your teeth with not very sweet altoids sometimes.

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

gardenancy
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Nancy
Parma Ohio
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  5:01:50 PM  Show Profile
Please read the ingredients very carefully. I gave up on buying toothpaste. I make mine very similar to Kayla. I takreabout a 1/2 C baking soda and mix in enough glycerine to make a thick paste then add a dropperful of peppermint essential oil and 1/8 t stevia and 1/8 t sea salt. I have been using this for about 10 years and my dentist tells me that my husband and I are his easiest patients (as far as cleaning - we have no tartar buildup) and he makes no money off of us. We have had no cavities or any other problems in 10 years. We only get a cleaning every 6 months and a filling replaced now and then (no mercury!). I keep this toothpaste in a small jar with a liuttle stirrer. It will seperate so you just stir it up occasionally.
Try it....it is inexpensive, tastes natural and is safe!
Go to Top of Page

earth mama
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Anna
Hendersonville TN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  5:13:28 PM  Show Profile
@ Nancy, where do you get your glycerine? I've been using nature's gate (which seems better then others as I got the best review at my dentist yet this last time!), but after reading this thread, think I'd like to make it...

Blog: http://wayfaringartist.com
Photography and Design: http://dailyikon.com
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2011 :  12:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I've gotten glycerin from Walmart before. Since my mom makes soap, we always have a gallon of it just laying around, but we did find it at Walmart before she bought that quantity. I think it was with the skin care type products...

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com

Direct link to my blog: http://custerfamilyfarm.com/blog1/index.php?blog=3

Edited by - fiddlegirl89 on Feb 28 2011 12:30:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

gardenancy
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Nancy
Parma Ohio
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  4:54:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi earth mama,
Sorry it took so long to respond. I had a terrible flu for about 3 weeks and did'n go on the computer.
I get my glycerin and alot of other stuff from www.camdengrey.com. I make soap and they have great essential oils at a good price. They also have clays for dusting powder. Anything I have gotten from them has been good.
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile
I use Tom's toothpaste---don't want flouride or artificial sweetener. I also use Tom's mouthwash.

www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
www.pasthymesfashions.webs.com
Go to Top of Page

DeborahLee
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Deborah
Starkville Mississippi
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  10:49:05 AM  Show Profile
I tried Tom's of Maine (I use some of their other products) but I had a reaction to something they put in the toothpaste. I went to the dentist and he told me I had a mouth allergy to something in the toothpaste (??) I've had to go back to Crest for now....

Deborah

Professor, librarian, writer and farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

french08
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Kim
Sharon Springs NY
USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  12:05:20 PM  Show Profile
I can't remember the name of my toothpaste! I'm having a "duh" moment for sure. Don't you just hate that? I purchased it at a co-op store. It's a lemon flavored powder and it comes in a really dark blue bottle. Seems it has lasted forever and I don't mind the lemon flavor. I believe the main ingredient is baking soda.

~~Kim French~~
Farmgirl Sister #2997
Farmgirl at Heart From The Start
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  12:18:36 PM  Show Profile
Crest with tarter control-all I have ever used since a dentist recommended it as a kid. My daughter uses Tom's becaause she is trying to avoid all color and additives.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic What kind of toothpaste do you use? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page