Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  2:59:17 PM  Show Profile
I was 21, DH was 23. It's lasted for close to 39 years so far.

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  3:22:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh, yeah, DH and will celebrate lucky 13 in April.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  3:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Neat ladies!! I'm glad you found your soul mates!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  5:46:55 PM  Show Profile
9 days into 17, will be 48 years in May. He is still my VALENTINE.My MOM AND DAD, MOM 13---DAD 17. They will be together 66 years in March

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  6:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Your mom got married at 13 years old Wilma???
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  06:47:37 AM  Show Profile
The first time 21. I wasn't too young, he was too old! He wanted someone to dictate too and I thought it would be 50/50 for everything.

My second husband (first in my heart) and I were 42 when we got married. He is my sweetheart and we love each other dearly. We both wish we had met when were younger, but that's how it goes.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  07:16:47 AM  Show Profile
I was 18, he was 20. We were high school sweethearts and we've been together almost 43 years. Wait, almost 44? Yep, did the math, 44.
I had an aunt who married at 13, first child at 14. Those were different times and a very different place, Arkansas during the Depression.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  09:27:13 AM  Show Profile
Trent and I met at Bible college in 1999 when I was 19. I had just broke off an engagement with a boy back home and I was running away from what would likely have been the biggest mistake of my life. I was WAY too young.
Anyways, Trent and I met and were merely friends (and barely that - he got on my nerves) through college. Then, after college I went back home and got a job for a year and then spent 2 months in Africa. Meanwhile, he took a job in DC where he had no friends and knew no one. Both of us, at the same time in separate places, were going through a HUGE personal growth time. It was like God took everything we ever relied on away so we could find our everything in Him. Then, when I got back from Africa I found out that he had moved to DC when he emailed me one day to tell me he was 2.5 hours away from me. We got together for a hike and caught up on life. I was 22 then and he, 23. We both had grown up so much. It was all history from there and we got married a year and a half later. I was just about to turn 24 and he had just turned 25. I'm glad we didn't really hit it off in college. It would have been too young for both of us. We had three couples in our wedding that we had gone to college with and they all got married RIGHT after Bible school, so early early 20's. They all got divorced within our first year of marriage. We are getting ready to celebrate 6 years of marriage in a few weeks and we're closer than ever. I would say, more than the right AGE, there is a right maturity level that one has to reach before they can survive and enjoy marriage. I thought I had that at 19 when I decided I was going to get engaged the first time, but I had no clue.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile
I have been married 3.5 years and was married at 23. we spent our first year married just being together ALL THE TIME, spontanious road trips, not a lot of commitments and we got to know eachother so, so well. then year two wo had our first baby and year three we had our second. we're taking a baby break at the moment, but thinking baby three by year 5. And, as you can imagine, life is super hectic around here, but I'm so glad we got that first year in. That foundation has really held us together, as there isn't much time to get to know someone with babies all over the place :)

Oh I love being married and staying home with my kids. wouldn't trade it for the world! Although, we're all looking forward to the day when we don't have to worry so much about tiny little bodies getting cold in the camping tent ;)

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  10:19:45 AM  Show Profile
22 for me and 24 for DH. We dated for about a year and a half first. I've never thought that was too young since he still is "the one". For me it was love at first date, I can still remember being on the dance floor in his arms and realizing this was the man I would marry. We celebrate 33 years this April. I don't think it matters how young or old you are as long as it is the right person, I think alot of people get married just to be married, not that they want to live the rest of their lives with the other person.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile
I was just 17 and still in High School when we met. He was 23. Wasn't at all interested in him-- he was SOOOO not my type! But, he started to grow on me. 10 mos later, nearly two months after my 18th birthday, we got married. Now, 20yrs and three boys (19,18 and 14yrs) later, we are STILL together. Not all of those years have been a picnic in the park. Some of it's been downright HELL in fact, but then I never expected married life to be easy-- especially after watching my mother go through one DISASTEROUS marriage after another.

All I know is that when I look at my DH and my heart still goes "Pitter-Patter," no matter WHAT'S been going on between us -- I KNOW he's the forever mate for me!!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  1:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Had just turned 20 on the 17th of Dec. Our wedding was Dec. 28th . . . still married. Just celebrated our 41st anniversary
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lulu bell
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Karen
Ashland NE
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  1:40:06 PM  Show Profile
I was 25 but we went together off and on again for 8 years actually we were engaged when I was 21 and I called it off because we weren't ready. We have been married for 23 years.

Karen
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile
I was 20 the first time - and I am thankful for my daughter who was born when I was 23. She is 29 - marriage to her dad did not last that long - adopted a boy when daughter was almost 12.

Married to my husband when I was 47 and he was 55 - only my youngest was still at home - our two oldest were already grown and on their own. Now our youngest is graduating high school and off to colege and we can just be a "we" meaning two in the home all the time. My "picker" got fixed for the better.....
Kim

Kim (aka missgive)
Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  9:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I was 25 ! I am almost 30 next month. :)

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

~Hencho for the Heart of Texas Henhouse~

http://maggielousdaughter.blogspot.com
(in construction!)

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  05:51:00 AM  Show Profile
I was 23...been married for almost 21 years and I would NEVER do it again.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  10:36:48 AM  Show Profile
I was 27 - my hubby saw me drive through Shoney's in my little red VW and we met a few months later. We were friends for about a year then started dating in Feb and married in November - 30 years ago. He even told a friend of his he was going to marry me before we had a first date. He still lets me know everyday that I am special to him. We are together 98% of the time since we work together, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  12:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
All of these are beautiful stories!! Thank you all for sharing with me!
Hugs,
Channah

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What age did you get.... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page