Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 anyone in a Greek Revival Farmhouse?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic anyone in a Greek Revival Farmhouse? Next Topic  

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  10:43:20 AM  Show Profile
Hello out there fellow farmgirls! New to the site!
We just bought our dream farmhouse, in the country!
Just wondering if anyone else is living in a Greek revival house, and how you decorate? I know it should be more formal, and not "country", but this area is definitely rural! (Finger Lakes wine country!) I'd love tips and photos and layouts from your home, we have all-white original woodwork, and maple floors. We plan on restoring it, and converting some parts, but would like to stay authentic. Please share, and I'll keep you posted on our updates! Very pleased to meet you all!

-Greenhaven Gardens
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  7:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth. I don't and don't know how they would be decorated. But would love to hear of your progress. We bought our limestone house 5 1/2 years ago and it's been work, work, and more work on it. Lots of gutting and redoing and adding. Lots of work in these old homes. Good luck with yours.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  08:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Elizabeth. I was hoping somebody would post some personal pics of their own house, because I looked around online and couldn't really find any good links. I know the time period for your house is roughly 1820-1850, so you could go with either Federal or early Victorian style. I love the Empire style in furniture from the early 19th century, and there was an Empire revival in the late 19th/early 20th century, so you can find that stuff for reasonable prices. If I had a Greek Revival house, that's the look I would go for. It's very elegant, but not fussy. Classy but works well in a casual, light setting. I hope you show us some photos of your house!
Go to Top of Page

vintagejenta
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Sarah
Walden NY
USA
83 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  7:03:23 PM  Show Profile
I live farther south in the Hudson Valley, but I'd ditto the Federal style (such as Chippendale or Duncan Phyfe). The best thing about NY and the east coast in general is that there was a big colonial revival starting with the centennial (1876) and well into the 1950s. A lot of federal reproduction furniture was made in the 1920s and '30s that is much cheaper than antiques, but also much cheaper than modern all-wood furniture. I would hit your local antique/thrift stores and ask about the 1920s repros. There's a place down by us called The Hidden Barn (near Montgomery, NY on 17K) that has a ton of that kind of stuff for pretty cheap. For example, my boyfriend and I got a beautiful, dark, repro highboy chest of drawers (for my numerous clothes) for around $250 and they delivered it for free because we live nearby. Sure, it has a few dings in it and the top is not perfect, but you're gonna spend that much on a cheap particleboard dresser at Target or Walmart anyway! So for us, it was totally worth it.

Striped and damask linens would also be elegant without being overly fussy. The other nice thing about your era of farmhouse is that you can mix and match eras in your furnishings. So you can have rustic "Colonial" stuff with the more elegant Federal alongside the fussier Victorian or even Rococo, if you want!

I would maybe visit some historic sites from that time period in your area and just see what you like! Then work from there.

Good luck! And yes, please post pictures!

---------
http://citygirlcountryfood.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic anyone in a Greek Revival Farmhouse? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page