babynurse
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Christine
Amherst Virginia
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  8:27:05 PM  Show Profile
I work part-time as a nurse, but I don't want to fill up all of my days with working. We definitely need some extra income these days, but I have 5 children and a husband to take care of. I still think that being at home is more important than boosting our income. I'd rather do without and be home for my family.

So I am trying to get creative and be resourceful. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some kind of marketable product that I could produce at home? I love crafting, I love to create things...the item I've been considering is homemade soap. I don't have much experience with any kind of sewing...let's just say the only thing I CAN do is crocet, and I'm only so-so at that. Anyway, I'd like to hear any and all suggestions on that topic!

My husband and I also own 5 acres of land that is currently just sitting while we wait for the economy to improve enough for us to start building. Does anyone know of some way I could put that land to good use? I hate to see it just sitting, knowing that it could potentially bring in some money even now. The land used to be part of an apple orchard, so I know it is well-suited for crops. I know there has got to be someone out there who may want to lease the land in order to do some kind of growing. (The only restriction on the land is animals - no livestock) Anyway, hubby and I would be very interested in leasing the land if there were someone out there to do it...do any of you know if this is an off-the-wall idea, or if not, how to go about finding someone who may want to do that? I don't even know where to begin. Any other ideas of what we can do would also be appreciated!!!

Thanks and God bless,
Christine

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  8:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I don't know if this would help but you could make dish rags, aprons, homemade cards, soaps, lotions, jewlery, etc.
I'm sure some other farmgirls will help you out more than me. lol
Welcome to the Forum!!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  9:07:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Christine. I have 2 huge gardens that I use for growing veggies and selling at farmer's markets and to friends. I make pretty good money but only for half the year. If I had more land and was filthy rich I would love to have a goat dairy and make cheese. But I don't and I'm not so that might have to wait. I do have 4 milk goats, though. And I have started making goat milk soaps. I am getting ready to start selling them at the market, too. And I think I will try making dog treats and see how that goes. I also make bread and rolls to sell, too. I also made totes and sold them at the market.

But why don't you see if you have a market for fresh veggies and do that. It's great fun and good excercise. And you can get the kids to help out. Just a thought. And you could also plant more fruit trees and start an orchard.

Well, I guess you can tell where my heart is. I Love anything farming and animals. Except during winter. Not much fun then.

I hope you get more ideas soon. It's great you want to be at home. That's all I ever wanted to do.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  07:21:05 AM  Show Profile
CAn you teach maye a childbirth class or CPR. I have always made a little money doing that, and it helps your community. Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  11:19:41 AM  Show Profile
If your place is on a busy road, you could grow vegies and have a honor stand. Or grow vegies and sell them at your local farmers market. Or you could grow vegies and set up a CSA. Or grow vegies and it will save on your grocery bill for those five kids. In other words, grow vegies. :o)

Sherone

http://farmgirlcrossroads.etsy.com
http://tinytaylorranch.etsy.com
http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/
http://www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic A few quick questions... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page