Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 looking for a beer brewing kit or supplies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic looking for a beer brewing kit or supplies Next Topic  

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  07:29:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm ready to start brewing my own beer! anyone have a beer brewing kit, or brew supplies (or winemaking supplies for that matter) sitting around, taking up space? I'll trade you some goodies for them! anything from prairielandherbs.com is up for barter, or I have fabric, herbs, homemade jams, yarns.....

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  07:31:09 AM  Show Profile
Maggie, Have you ever made wine?

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Has life got you down?...Look Up!
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  07:39:30 AM  Show Profile
Not yet, got the supplies to start my first bacth, will start it Wednesday! I'm interested in making wine and beer both :)
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  08:29:07 AM  Show Profile
I have made wine before. I have made several different fruit wines and I made dandelion wine last summer. But I just use fruit/flower, sugar and yeast. Good luck with your winemaking. Let us know how it turns out! I have never made beer before!

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Has life got you down?...Look Up!
Go to Top of Page

ladedacreations
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Sandy
Indian Valley Idaho
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  5:32:57 PM  Show Profile
I used to make a lot of wine with just yeast and sugar and fruit, hope to refine the technique one of these days as most were way too sweet for me. But if you don't like them heres what you do. Put a piece of gauze over the top so the bugs can't get in and set it out of the way and forget about it for a few months. It will turn into the best wine vinegar you ever tasted. I think I almost prefer the vinegar to the wine! Can't do it with store bought wine though, needs to be homemade! Enjoy!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ladedacreations Filled to the brim with my handmade paper, vintage treasures & clothing, photography, naturally grown seeds and unique jewelry and hair pieces created from cast off vintage pieces and old silverware. Be sure to check out my comical Woo Hoo Sister pins for all of you mid lifers!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/againstthegrain13 is my other shop dedicated to my extreme rustic switch plate covers. If you are a lover of natural wood, you are sure to enjoy these!

Everything I create is done so with solar power using mainly salvaged, recycled and up cycled items.

“For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also”. Mathew 6:21
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  05:46:56 AM  Show Profile
Dear Maggie,
My DH makes beer and lots of it! He has graduated to some bigger quantity supplies so I am sure we have some stuff we don't use anymore.
When he gets home from work I will ask him. Yea, he works today, Super Bowl Sunday and all, he is in the military. We even started growing our own hops for the beer. I will let you know what we have.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  3:04:38 PM  Show Profile
We make both our own wine and beer. We started 12 years ago and have been having a blast! Wine from found/free fruit is always the best! One year we made 15 gallons of crabapple wine and used some of the juice for jelly. My favorite unusual wine is Red Beet wine. Yes red beet. Its really yummy!
Beer is much quicker than most wines. And growing and using your own Hops is fun and adds a nice fresh taste of hops to the brew. We entered several of our wines, grape and fruit, in the county fair this year just for fun and did well.
Have fun! If you start making wines try this book "Making Wild Wines and Meads" by Vargas and Gulling. The recipes are for 1 gallons but can be expanded to 5 gallons easily.

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  4:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Diane, that is FANTASTIC!! I Hope your DH has some extra goodies he doesn't need!! :)

Heather, I don't like sweet wines either, but am hoping with experimentation I can make my own homegrown wines to suit my palate. I know it is possible, I have had lovely dry homemade wines and last year tasted the most spectacular, not-too-sweet. I figure I'l ljust have to start experimenting! fortunately my mom likes sweet wines, I imagine I'll have plenty that I don't like, that will suit her. :) And that is a great tip about the vinegar!!

Heather -beet wine! Sounds really interesting!! I will look for that book, it sounds right up my alley. Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic looking for a beer brewing kit or supplies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page