Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Lost a piece of my heart today...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Lost a piece of my heart today... Next Topic
Page: of 2

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  7:24:09 PM  Show Profile
Everyday for almost 19 years, my little female cockateil was my shoulder buddy when I was inside the house doing whatever. This march would have been 19 years, my Hubby called me out to the big Mulberry tree we have near the coops, said "Mama" there's a funny looking bird up there whistling like crazy. Looked up and it was a cockateil, my sweet man offered to climb up and grab her for me, so up he goes, just about has her and she flies to the other side of the tree, so he manages to get his 6'7 frame turned around and again almost has her and she goes again to the otherside, so he deceides to try talking to her, she flies over and poops on his head, by this time I'm all but rolling on the ground laughing, he reaches up to get her and "CRACK", he and the branch come tumbleing down with the bird hanging on for dear life to his beard, I run over to see if hes alright, hes now cussing out the bird and threatening to make her into very small dinner, she hops off him onto my shoulder and starts preening my hair, talking away the whole time, hubby gets up and she looks at him and hisses at him, which starts me laughing again. I walk back to the house and put her in a rabbit carrying cage and start calling neighbors, no one has lost one, nor knows anyone that has, put an ad in the paper, plus the vets office, petshop and feed store, no one ever calls. Two weeks later, my sweet man shows up after work with this big fancy cage and ALL the trimmings. We or I should say he names her, "Freddie the free loader". My hubby coulda broke more than his pride trying to "SAVE" her that day, bought her the fanciest house he could (which she spent very little time in)and she always hated him. The avian vet estimated her to be about 2 when she adopted me, so , she was about 21 when she passed away in my hand this morning, doing what she loved, preening my hair. I will really miss her.............

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  7:34:17 PM  Show Profile
What a sweet story and I am sorry you lost your little friend. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

rschaaf
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Renee
Wooster Ohio
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  7:59:10 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, I've been where you are. So sorry for your loss. Hugs!!!

"There is beauty, there is grace, in my peaceful country place!"

See what I'm up to at: http://www.lifeonctfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  8:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is a beautiful story Teresa!! I am so sorry you lost your best friend!! It is so hard to lose an animal no matter how small or big. My prayers are with you!!
Hugs,
Channah

Friendship is not something that can be bought, it is earned.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  8:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Those little avian buddies can really capture your heart. Cockatiels are the sweetest birds there are. Freddie was a very lucky bird to adopt you. (((hugs)))
cindy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  8:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Teresa! I am so sorry that your little friend has passed on! She sounds like a real gem and I am so glad she found you! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  8:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow Teresa... those wonderful years of memories.
(((HUGS)))

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  05:53:42 AM  Show Profile
That's the sweetest story I have heard in a long time. I have chill bumps just reading it. I bet she was the most loved bird ever. And spoiled too, I'm sure. I know she will be terribly missed.

Lots of hugs and good thoughts coming at ya, Teresa.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  05:57:25 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry to hear this....what a great friend she was to you and you to her.

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  06:10:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh, You were so blessed to have that little bird. Come to think of it, that little friend was so blessed to be found by you.
Cherish the memories!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  06:16:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I am so very sorry for your loss, Teresa. But I'm grateful you had each other for those 19 wonderful years. My cat, Big Al, lived for 23 years. It's hard when they were in your life nearly as long as a person. My cat's life was the span of my son's life from the age of 5 until nearly 28. Sending you hugs and a cyber shoulder.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  06:23:58 AM  Show Profile
They are such wonderful pets, aren't they? Like you, my Aunt has had her "Chicco" for 20 years or so, she can't remember, and he is her constant companion.

So sorry for your loss, but like Janice, I'm so glad that you had a long time together. She sure sounded like a corker!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  06:24:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm soooo sorry. Losing a family member is never easy. Am thinking of you.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!~
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  06:49:26 AM  Show Profile
Teresa.....so sorry for your loss. But, I must admit that I was laughing as you described your hubby in the tree. What a good guy he is.

Our bird, Groovy, picks off the mascara from my eyelashes. He's cheaper and more entertaining than make-up remover.

Again, sorry for your loss.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  06:53:02 AM  Show Profile
I love your story Teresa! We have a cockatiel too and I don't know how old he is because he was given to us. I know their habits well and I am laughing my head off picturing your hubby just about to get him and then he keeps slipping away just to end up with you happy as a lark and hubby on the ground working on his vocabulary. Yep, they are smart little birds and know what they like. It's amazing that they live so long. I know you will the company of your little bird and my heart goes out to you.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  07:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh Theresa, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :( Good thoughts and hugs being sent your way.

P.S. I love to hear you talk about your husband and the wonderful memories you have of him. Makes me realize I need to focus less on the shortcomings of my own DH and spend more energy making good memories with him. Thank you for sharing your precious memories.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  08:26:18 AM  Show Profile
Theresa, I am so sorry to hear about your cockatiel!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  10:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much girls for your thoughtful and sweet comments, and yes even thru the tears, I can look back to the day Freddie found us and see my sweet man up in that tree trying to "save" her, and laughing like a complete nut case at my hubbys attempts to do for me yet another most wonderful thing.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  11:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Aww Teresa, how sad for you. :( Your heart will never forget Freddie, your head will always remember the funny dear things she did. After a while you won't hurt quite as much, but you're right a little bit of your heart went with her today....
{{{{Big Hugs}}}}} to you today.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  11:05:57 AM  Show Profile
Teresa
so sorry for your lost! I understand how you must feel, when I lost my first cat after 20 years my boss sent me home...i was too torn up to focus on anything but memories of her and my dh through the years.
prayers going out to you!
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  11:19:53 AM  Show Profile
Dear Friends:
Thank you for sharing with us another beautiful part of your life. I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  11:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh Teresa...so very sorry for your loss. Maybe your sweet bird is perched on your DH shoulder now? Despite how she "hated" him earlier :)

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  2:37:18 PM  Show Profile
Prayers, Hugs, and sympathy to you in this time of sorrow.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  3:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, if Freddie is on my sweet mans shoulder, shes probally pulling his beard, lol.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9419 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9419 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  3:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Teresa,
So sorry to hear of the loss of your little friend. Our pets are so dear to us and they just work their way in our hearts. You are so lucky to have had her for so long.
Thank you for sharing the sweet story of how she came to be yours.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  7:01:55 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for you! Hugs.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Lost a piece of my heart today... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page