Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  6:25:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello, does anyone know how to make or what to use to soften your laundry?
Thanks
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  7:36:41 PM  Show Profile
one quart of white vinegar, one cup of dried lavender, and 5 drops of lavender essential oil. Let it sit in a jar for about five days and use it like any other softener. I use mine in my Downey Ball.
Always keep a batch going while one is in use and you won't run out.
Good luck.
Melody
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  06:36:50 AM  Show Profile
And I just use white vinegar. I put about 1/2 a cup in the rinse cycle for each load. The vinegar smell dissipates when the clothes dry so don't worry about smelling like vinegar all the time. :) Works great, it's green and it's CHEAP!!!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  12:08:44 PM  Show Profile
does the vinegar help with static cling?

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

BeckyB
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Rebecca
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  09:33:25 AM  Show Profile
Hello! Thanks so much for the laundry softener tips. I make my own laundry soap and was looking for a fabric softener recipe. I especially love lavender!
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  10:50:36 AM  Show Profile
Patricia, I have to say no, it does not help with static cling that much. I don't have a clothes line right now and our house is too small for me to hang laundry other than over the bathtubs, so I do use dryer sheets in the winter time to help with the static cling.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  12:36:01 PM  Show Profile
Vinegar is wonderful in the wash because it removes any residues left behind by your detergent (especially handy if you're still tweaking your homemade detergent recipe to suit your water hardness). If you want to get rid of a lot of static cling in a dryer toss a lightly wadded up ball of aluminum foil in the dryer. It discharges the static caused by the fabrics rubbing across each other in the drum. You can reuse it many times. It also helps if you take your things out before they are completely dry and hang them up. That even helps cut down on any ironing you may do.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2010 :  11:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I use 1 cup baking soda, 6 cups vinegar, 8 cups distilled water(I use my well water) 10-15 drops of essential oil (I use fresh linen). In large pot in kitchen sink put in backing soda and slowly add hot distilled water until dissolved. Gradually add vinegar a little at a time (it will rise quickly), then add essential oil. Pour 1 cup at a time into a gallon bottle and cap. I use an old clorox glass bottle which works great. This stuff really works!

Gail
Farmgirl #486

"use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without"

http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic green laundry softner Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page