Page: of 2

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  1:48:18 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you mamas co-sleep (or have co-slept before)? I wrote a post on my blog about it and would love to hear your comments.
www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com
-Elizabeth

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  1:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am a mama of four boys.. they all slept with us... They are now 23,22,18 and 12... I don't regret it a day!!!

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

krbrown@rocketmail.com
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Kim
Allendale MI
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  1:54:27 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I have co- slept with all 3 of my children. I have a 23 month old and she has been in our bed since 5 months. It was easier to nurse her if she was in the bed all ready. I don't get much sleep with her but I don't mind. She is still nursing and still in the bed. Our children usually sleep with us for 3 to 4 years.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  1:55:29 PM  Show Profile
Well, let's put it this way, at 2 in the morning and an 18 month old daughter yelling for Mommmmmmy!! Yes, for her period of I guess night terrors, we all co-slept very peacefully! I don't do well with no sleep!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  2:05:59 PM  Show Profile
I am a total bear if I don't get good sleep at night...so that is why co-sleeping works perfectly for us! :)
-Elizabeth
www.trenchesofmommyhood.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  2:40:46 PM  Show Profile
Worked for me and my 5. THey were always on my side and not between us tho.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

mom2four717
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Kate
Shiremanstown PA
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  2:42:24 PM  Show Profile
We are co-sleepers. The kids are now 9years old and twin 7year olds. I have never regretted the decision. One of my "twin-kles" has been diagnosed with autism. Disrupted sleep is a common problem with families experiencing the autism spectrum. Our family has never been troubled with wakeful children. If Sam wakes he likes to feel pressure on his body. Hugging tightly, sometimes laying on his feet, or just letting him push up against me does the trick. It feels just right and secure.

There are many opinionated skeptics who feel co sleeping is wrong for whatever reason. We do not share the info about our sleeping arrangements unless among kindred spirits.

Sweet Dreams ~ Kate

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  3:30:02 PM  Show Profile
Only when nursing or sick. I got the famous how the kiddle will never sleep in their own bed if you let them sleep with you. My daughter has done that with her daughter and now she's 2 years old and won't sleep in her bed. They are expecting another baby in July, so I don't know what they'll do.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  5:16:07 PM  Show Profile
We sleep with our grandson who is 3. Sometimes when he stays over he talks in his sleep and if I give him my fingers to hold he calms down and sleeps straight through the night. We have him about 2 nights a week and I love it since I don't have to get up and go to work anymore.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  5:24:07 PM  Show Profile
I co-slept with my son until probably three or four. He never had trouble sleeping in his own bed though.

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  7:45:32 PM  Show Profile
Yep we did it. It was so much easier to roll over and offer the breast than to get up and get the baby. I think that babies are so connected to us for nine months that it is almost mean to leave them alone. They are used to feeling us breath, our heart beat and voice. Keeping them close gives them a wonderul sense of warmth, love and security. They all went to their own bed by the time they were 2-3, and would still sneak in bed with us from time to time. I miss that time!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  07:04:02 AM  Show Profile
To my mother-in-law's horror, we had the "family bed" for quite a while. Right about the time we were going to start our 5 year old on transitioning to her room, we made a big move to another city. All the new experiences and unknowns made for difficulty adjusting for our 5 and 2 yr old. So, we just kept on sleeping together. By the time the 5 was 7 yrs, she was torn between wanting to be in her room or being with us.....she felt like she was missing out.

In reality, we all slept better being snuggled up together. I don't regret one night. Still, today, we'll all climb in the bed and just talk or try to make pictures out of the dots on the ceiling. (girls are now 16 an 13)

A side benefit of the "family bed" was that hubby and I had to be creative for our alone time. (hee, hee, hee)

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  07:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora slept with us for about a month or two when she was new born but after that we had to transition her to her crib- she just wasn't sleeping well and my husband was terrified of rolling over on her. Lately she has been sneaking into our bed about 4 days out of 7- usually in the morning so we get to cuddle which is some times nice- sometimes she just wants to play and at 4 am mommy just isn't ready to play yet! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

caro
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Carol
Princeton Indiana
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  11:12:02 AM  Show Profile
Never did this. Don't think much of it.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  11:41:57 AM  Show Profile
We napped with Violet in our bed when she was very little, but she's a good sleeper, has slept through the night since she was 3 months old and to be honest, my husband was terrified, like Alee's, that he would roll over on her. I say, do what works for you and your family.

We have friends who have a 9 and 6 year old, who still sleep with her in the bed. Unfortunately, her husband has been relegated to the guestroom...so I don't think that's super healthy.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  11:48:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Kay...I was to selfish, I guess, because I needed alone time with my husband and that was the only chance we had to focus on each other and share things. If the girls were sick, I'd crawl into their bed with them. I often napped during the day with them, but all night...nope.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  2:20:12 PM  Show Profile
We have two co-sleepers right now. As you know, my oldest has night terrors and my youngest is a Mommy's boy. So, rather than no one getting any sleep, they both share. Since they are only 4 &3, I know this phase will pass. There are nights where I wish I have never started it, but then they are only little for so long, and this too shall pass. (And I will miss it when it does)

hugs,
Jessie

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go." ~Abraham Lincoln

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  2:28:34 PM  Show Profile
I noticed on your blog that you said about bottle fed co-sleepers. I nursed and supplemented with bottle feeding when my first two were newborn and later went to bottles completely. I learned to get everything ready ahead of time. My hot water pitcher sat on my nightstand with bottles and nipples ready. The formula was close by too. Bottle babies tend to need to be fed less often during the night, so the water that started out hot would be the perfect temp as the night wore on.
So as to avoid the ear infection and burping issue, I always made sure to stay awake during feeding, but once they were changed, fed, and burped. We both could go right back to sleep.
It was too easy for me to get depressed and resentful towards my innocent littles ones (and very unjustly) just because I was losing sleep.

It worked well for our little family :)
hugs
Jessie

P.S. What a great topic to come up..so perfect for this stage in our family's little life right now!

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go." ~Abraham Lincoln

Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  3:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your insight into bottle feeding and co-sleeping, Jessie. I always wondered how that worked. :) And I'm so happy that you have a new little one to experience all the "new wonders" with. It never gets old learning everything all over again.

Thanks for all your comments, ladies. I always was interested delving into why people choose to do/not do something in their life. I don't think one is right over the other, I just know that co-sleeping is right for us since I am a total grouch if I don't get sleep and I find co-sleeping helps both baby and me get sleep.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  3:34:08 PM  Show Profile
The funny thing about my granddaughter is when she had to stay with us for a month this last summer and since she slept with mom and dad we decided to let her sleep with us. Our bedroom is upstairs and we didn't think we could hear her if we could even get her to sleep downstairs. She would not lay down to where her Gampa Gary touched her. She would not lay down unless I was in the bed, too. Once she was asleep it didn't matter. But I usually ended up going to sleep in 6" of bed space, maybe. Also, she didn't turn 2 until later in the year and her mom was trying to wean her off of breast feeding. She woke up one night, sat up, pulled my night shirt up and was going to go for it. Luckily, I woke up and was able to stop her. She would have been horribly disappointed as these babies haven't done that for 25 years. It was a close one!!!

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  4:48:17 PM  Show Profile
I've read all the responses to this question. It seems co-sleeping is pretty common. I had my babies in the crib next to my bed. We actually took the side of the crib off and put it up to our bed with a reenforcer in between. My daughter had to wear a monitor so I slept with her in her room in a twin bed. She had a crib for napping. When we moved to MS she was 6 months old and went into her own room in a nursery across the sitting room from us. I nursed and bottled as the child dictated. I think it comes down to what the parents are comfortable with.
I enjoyed reading the responses.

Michelle

It's all good!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  5:28:32 PM  Show Profile
we co-slept for the first 5 months. then we moved Oliver to his crib. He has slept through the night since then (goes to bed at 7pm wakes at 7am!!)

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  7:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That is really great that Oliver did so well with that transition! 7-7 is a wonderful nighttime span too!
Keep up the good work!! :D
hugs,
Jessie

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9403 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9403 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  7:56:33 PM  Show Profile
We never did this. Never even thought of it as an option. Once we put them down they did not get out of bed even if they woke. I have only done this when my granddaughter has stayed over but not when both stay. But then they sleep together so we don't all fit anyway. :) They are little and usually sleep through the night. At least my granddaughter does, but her brother is younger and has tendency to wake in the night still. Seems once she is asleep she is out till 8 in the morning.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AsiyahK
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Asiyah
New Jersey
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  8:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Co-slept with both my children until they turned a year. My husband supported it and I would do it again if, by some miracle, we had another child.

Visit my blog at http://mypointohtwo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  12:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Did anyone ever think that humans are the only species that has to even think about this? All animals cuddle there young and sleep together! I always did what the child needed. if they did not sleep good without cuddling then that is what they got. My son seemed to sleep better all stretched out in his own bed but when he wanted to sleep with us ,he climbed in. I think we over think things as humans. Things we shouldn't. They both slept in their own bed when they were ready and they both are very confident adults.. Do what is good for you and yours and don't worry about it!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Co-sleeping with baby Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page