Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 Marketplace
 Opinions regarding patterns/items for sale?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Marketplace: Previous Topic Opinions regarding patterns/items for sale? Next Topic  

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  10:28:25 AM  Show Profile
There are so many wonderful patterns out there and so many talented ladies to sew them....

What are your opinions/thoughts/feelings about selling (for profit) the items you make with someone else's pattern? Many independent pattern makers/sharers often ask you to NOT sell (for profit) items made from their patterns...do you really think that's happening? What makes an item yours (to sell) if you are using someone else's idea for the pattern?

Just thought I might start some discussion here...that hopefully won't be too controversial...but I would like some opinions.

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  11:29:33 AM  Show Profile
You know, I've often wondered this myself. I have never sold anything that I didn't have permission to use the pattern to make items to sell.
I look forward to seeing the responses too!
hugs,
Jess

"I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had no where else to go." ~Abraham Lincoln

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  5:28:20 PM  Show Profile
Copywrite infringement is a big issue right now. It can even apply to doing a painting from a photograph that is published. All I can say here is be very careful and get written permission from the pattern seller. The big companies can be really harsh about it. Do your homework. I only purchase machine embroidery programs that are okay with resale so that there is no question about it being okay. It even applies to knitting patterns from publications. In other words, be careful who's pattern you are using if for resale and if you are in doubt....don't.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  5:32:10 PM  Show Profile
bump - this is an important issue and I want to be sure more read it.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  5:37:15 PM  Show Profile
My husband is a professional photographer and a writer and I can tell you that the whole copywright thing is really important. It's very frustrating to find your work being used by others without your knowledge. Personally I will never sell anything made from someone elses pattern or design.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Marketplace: Previous Topic Opinions regarding patterns/items for sale? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page