farmdreamer
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Pat
Stites Idaho
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  09:35:25 AM  Show Profile
I have two milk goats and froze some of the milk to use when they dried up. My frozen milk has a lot of small white clumps in it. Does anyone have any idea how to blend all together so it will be smooth. I have already tried the food processer and a blender with no sucess. I tried heating it up first and then used the blender. But still has these small white lumps in it. I used plastic jars to freeze in. Any ideas are welcome, p;ease I need help.

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  09:54:15 AM  Show Profile
Pat, I had to freeze about 12 gallons this past season. I cannot drink it. It's horrible. I use mine to make soap now. But a few years ago a neighbor had a mama goat die giving birth to triplets. She used all I had then.

Anyway, I heard that you need to pasturize it first, then freeze it. I have never tried that. It might taste better. But mine does the same thing. It must be all the cream that just won't incorporate back into the milk after it's been frozen.

I hope someone else knows a good way to do it. I'd much rather drink goat milk.

What kind of goats do you have? I have Lamanchas and a Nubian. They should all kid about the end of March. I can hardly wait!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4277 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4277 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  12:46:05 PM  Show Profile
I think you will have to strain it, to get the lumps out. I have frozen cow milk, and well I don't do it anymore. Just could not drink it. I always freeze any extra colostum from my dairy cow though. I have used it later for calves having trouble.

MIchele
Go to Top of Page

farmdreamer
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Pat
Stites Idaho
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  1:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the answers. It is at least something I can try. I have a nubian and a saanen. These are my first goats and I have a great time with them. Our walnut tree drops nuts into the goat pasture so they helped me pick up nuts. They eat the hull off the nut and then drop it on the ground. It's like having my own little walnut factory. They also love chewing on my hair while I'm bent over picking up the nuts. Lots of fun. They are due to kid 1st. week in April. I'm like you kristin, Can Hardly wait. This will be the first time the nubian has had a kid. Hope all goes well. Pat
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  2:25:52 PM  Show Profile
I asked a friend of mine who milks nubians and this is what he said, sometimes if the milk has been frozen for a while, it will separate into curds and whey. If it smells good, just put it into the blender or mixer and it will be just fine to drink. He says they have used milk that hasbeen frozen for almost 6 months. My Nigerian Dwarves aren't producing enough to freeze,yet, so I haven't tried this yet.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic frozen goat milk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page