Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Tired of JoAnn's Fabric store (rant)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tired of JoAnn's Fabric store (rant) Next Topic
Page: of 2

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:03:07 PM  Show Profile
I went in to JoAnn's yesterday...was looking for some military fleece and some light weight net for my son's room....regardless...does anyone else have to deal with inexperienced - uninterested - harried sales help who could care less about their jobs or your shopping? It's always crowded, dirty, and unorganized. There's "stuff" everywhere and it seems to be getting "cheaper"...not in price...just quality. I mean there's cheap (cost) too...but if I want totally cheap, I'll hit the dollar store on purpose. I hate the idea of wading through cluttered isles of cheap to find what I need for my projects. Oh...and, they have locked up the beads?!!! Yep...all the stranded beads are now under lock and key. A whole wall of imprisoned beads. I loved the idea of playing in the strands...handling the beads and comparing them to other beads for a final combo...now you need to call a clerk.

I just don't think I'll be shopping there again. The last few times have been such a disappointment.

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Can't stand JoAnns and don't shop there unless absolutely have to, will buy mail order first. Every one of their stores I have been in is dirty and unorganized and the sales help lacks in every way. Fabric as a rule is poor quality, not anything I would ever use for something I want to have a long life.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
I have been very disapointed at JoAnns too. The lines are slow and long and help has been very rude to me...or they chat for a long time with the person in front of me while I have waited too long.
It is the only place that I can get patterns so I go there for patterns.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones! www.tut.com
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:49:42 PM  Show Profile
The Jo-ann Fabric here in Middletown, NY is the only game in town, but I must say that the manager and employees keep it fairly clean and organized and they are usually helpful. I like the sales, but the quality of fabric (unless you purchase a name brand) isn't the greatest. I just can't buy fabric online...I need to see the colors and feel the drape. Fabric stores have gone the way of the bookstores...my two favorite places to shop. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Wow, JoAnn's near me, Mansfield, Medina and North Olmsted have beautiful, clean stores. However, I wish I could find some different fabric once in awhile....same ol same ol

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!~
Go to Top of Page

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:58:28 PM  Show Profile
T, I agree completely! I can remember how I used to love to go to Jo-ann's years ago, but they sure have changed. We have 2 within 45 minutes of me, and I don't go to them at all anymore. We have a fairly new Hobby Lobby the same distance which I much prefer, no patterns and nowhere near as much fabric, but enough stuff to keep me busy! I am also fortunate to have a wonderful mennonite store very close by, that has wonderful fabrics and threads, some crafting things, and a grocery besides with free-range eggs and chickens! They don't have many sales, but I like that the fabrics are good and will last for years.
Sadly, most of the Jo-ann's up here are going out because they cannot keep customers.

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  3:58:51 PM  Show Profile
Our Joann's are pretty good as well as clean/organized too and, as yet, our beads are still free-range. However I never buy fabric there anymore, unless it is flannel, just because of the quality issue. I have a friend who owns a small independent fabric store so I buy stuff there - it is more expensive but when you look at the big picture it is definitely worth it.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  4:24:28 PM  Show Profile
We have a brand new JoAnn's that caused the two other ones near us to close. But it is clean and very well organized so far. Sales staff leaves alot to be desired but I know enough that I don't need to ask questions. And our beads are still free-range as well. We are lucky that we have a Hancock, JoAnn's and a Wal-Mart with fabric. Plus four quilt shops close by.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  4:32:22 PM  Show Profile
Many many moons ago I worked in a wholesale upholstery fabric store. We had material for couches/chairs and what-not but also drapes/curtains too. I also worked in a small independent quilt shop for a bit too. Customers were always first...and when there weren't customers, I was tidying up bolts...and when that was done...I was sweeping the floor. Even had to clean the restroom! No heavy sighs, chatting with my neighbor, or eye rolling went on. And I was pretty young back in those days. I just can't shop anymore where I can't get good customer service...despite the price. I haven't had much better service at the independent quilt shops near me either. Sometimes they act so "uppity".... Whatever happened to a big smile and a "oh what are you making"???

I know we are all in a hurry....sometimes I feel like I "run" through most of my days....but geez, if we can't even connect in a positive way when the environment is supposed to be all about creativity and joy....what's left?

Brenda...how lovely to have great fabric AND free-range eggs! I'm thinking organic bakery and a mug of tea to go with that would make it perfect!

Diane...I know what you mean about fabric and bookstores online...I do love to touch what I buy and flip through those pages... Books, yarn, and fabric are things I "collect" if you will. You know...they have "used" and "gently loved" book stores where you can take your books perhaps there should be a place we can take our "stash" of unused fabric/yarns/craft items too??.... Our local independent book seller takes books for resale..you get 20% of the resale price in cash, or you can get 30% to use at the bookstore. Hmmmmmmm....
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  4:39:16 PM  Show Profile
I will not step foot into a Joanns store. I returned a Knitting machine my Grandparents had gotten me for Christmas. My grandmaother said that if it wasn't something I would use, to take it back and use the money for fabric and yarn...stuff I would use. Well since then, my grandfather has passed and my grandmother has taken ill and is in a nursing home. I did not have a reciept, so they would only issue me a corporate refund. (understandable, it was a large purchase price) They were already taking 40%off of the original price because of no reciept. I had no problems until they refused my refund because they could not find the original purchase. They told me I had to provide them my grandmother's name, address and telephone number, and they had to contact her. I was not doing this, she does not need to be bothered while ill and completely confused about being put into a nursing home, so I told them, I would take my merchandise back and try to sell it online or in the paper. They would not give me my merchandise back, and I have not seen a refund! So as far as I am concerned, they are thiefs. The sad part is, I was asking for a store credit so I could get fabric/yarn crafting supplies etc... So they have lost my business for sure and for certain. And the store here is filthy and the employees are rude and have no idea what you are talking about! Thank you for letting me vent here tooo:)

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Has life got you down?...Look Up!
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  5:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
OMG Angela! That is so sad to hear. It sure deserves a boycott..and if I were you I'd tell everyone I know about it...to discourage giving them business.

Linda in Scranton, PA

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones! www.tut.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  6:12:32 PM  Show Profile
You just don't know how much I would like to go back in time when there were good fabric stores with polite employees to help. I just don't know what is happening to this country. I get so many rude sales people that I just hate to shop in most places. To be honest most of them don't even know anything about the products they are selling. I agree, its hard to find fabric that is of quality and in a pleasant place to shop. I like to actually touch and feel the fabric too.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  6:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Gotta say, our JoAnn's just closed a week ago--it was the only fabric store in town, now we'll have to go 45 miles for another fabric store (our Walmart just closed their fabric dept too)--really miss the convenience of being able to run in for some elastic or some last minute thing--online shopping is great, but $shipping and if you need something to finish a project right away. . .
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  7:04:02 PM  Show Profile
I must be lucky. I love my JoAnn's. In fact, my DH hates it because I always spend forever in there chatting with the fabric ladies about my latest project and then I check out and have to chat with the check out lady about it as well LOL! Sorry you have such a crappy JoAnn :(

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13625 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13625 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  7:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Since we ONLY have a Walmart for fabric here, and it was "remodeled" and downsized severely, I DO shop at JoAnns in Glendale, Arizona. It is near my daughter's house and I have no complaints about it at all. Very clean, very organized, very professional help and a great selection. So, I hope it stays that way.
When we travel to my daughters I take my big list off to JoAnns to stock up. Walmart is the store I'm disgusted with!!!
It's too bad that any place has gotten this way . . . shouldn't be so!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  9:37:57 PM  Show Profile
I have 3 Jo-Anns stores in different directions within 7 miles from my home. The workers are helpful, courteous, and the stores are clean. I know the personal in two of the stores and they know me by name. One of the employees even sent business my way. Sometimes, I am in there a long time chatting with the gals.

I did have a problem with one of the store managers. She was very rude, but fortunately, she doesn't work there any more. I still avoid that store because it is small.

www.countrynmore.com
www.countrynmore2.etsy.com

http:// www.qualityfabricsandsupplies.ecrater.com

www.countrynmore.blogspot.com

Edited by - countrynmore on Jan 30 2010 9:40:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  03:11:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow! It seems like it really depends on who manages the Jo-ann store where each of us shops--they really run the gamut! We have very few independent quilt shops, but I will start to shop at some of them for the cottons. I also sew clothing and home decor, so I need more of a variety of fabrics. Love the idea of a "stash for sale" fabric store. I could probably open one right out of my house! LOL. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  08:17:18 AM  Show Profile
I get told that I could open up a fabric store. I have too many bolts, but won't say how much. Dh and my son counted them one day before we had shelves made. I have many of the fabrics on my custom page of my website, but you can see some of the prints on my picturetrail page.

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/18218449

www.countrynmore.com

Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  08:36:55 AM  Show Profile
I agree--JoAnn Fabrics, is really going down hill. In fact, JoAnn is the Walmart of the fabric industry...moves in, takes all of the smaller shops business, then holds you hostage for low quality cheap material and limited selection. There used to be several fabric stores in the area, now there is only JoAnn and Hancocks. Not sure which is worse. I HATE the story about the knitting machine......that really makes me angry. It isn't like someone could 5-finger discount that large of an item, even if they wanted to........what I hate most is purchasing something and then getting it home and finding a hidden defect....I guess no one wants to pay for quality goods/services any more....and their yarn (mostly) stinks too....with cheap knitting needles and limited supply....I don't buy anything in there w/o the 40% coupon....that brings is down to about normal price...

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  2:01:12 PM  Show Profile
WOWSERS Sharon, you could open up a fabric store:) From what I can see, you have some beautiful bolts of fabric!

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Has life got you down?...Look Up!
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  2:09:46 PM  Show Profile
I have a lot. That is just a small portion of the fabrics. Since I make a lot of custom aprons and non-custom aprons I need to have a variety. Dh doesn't see the same way as I do. Our friend built shelves that have 6 compartments (double sided). It works out well. I am able to categorize the fabrics by theme. I have been trying to sell fabrics on ecrater and Etsy that I no longer need for aprons or other projects. The variety came in handy when I had a custom apron order (see blog for pictures) for an event planner. Fortunately, I had just the right amount of fabric for it.

www.countrynmore.com

Edited by - countrynmore on Jan 31 2010 2:13:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  3:37:34 PM  Show Profile
That's such a bummer for those of you that have had a bad JoAnn's experience. We are blessed to have several fabric stores nearby here, many of them offering a great selection of unique fabrics. I sometimes think JoAnn's selection and quality of fabrics is not what I'd prefer, but a lot of it is nice. I do try to go to the independent shops and artisans to find fabrics, as well as much repurposing and vintage fabrics, too!

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Peace2u2
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Debi
Hudson NY
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  4:02:51 PM  Show Profile
Alomost all of our fabric stores have closed over the past few years. Joannes is still open but I noticed a big difference in their products. Much higher prices and poorer quality. Not a great selection either. I miss sewing. How and where do you go to buy fabric on line? I do love to touch the fabric and imagine what it might be someday but since that isn't an option anymore, perhaps buying on line will be OK.
If anyone knows of some good sites, please pass them on!

All things good are possible with a bit of sun, soil, and love.
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  4:39:08 PM  Show Profile

Debi. All the places I know are resale. The customer has to have a resale number and there is not only a minimum order, but all sites sell by the bolt. I like Haiks-inc. and usually purchase when bolts are on clearance. Otherwise, it can be costly, Some fabrics, are heavier in weight than others. Sometimes when I use a 50 % coupon at Jo-Anns, it is cheaper than what I can pay through the distributor (regular price, not clearance price).

www.countrynmore.com

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  04:29:36 AM  Show Profile
Our Hancock Fabrics closed so now I have to go to JoAnne's. The one here is pretty clean and organized, but I went to one in South Carolina while visiting my daughter that was a disgrace! I also go to Hobby Lobby and get fabric and notions, they have a pretty good selection. I have bought fabric on-line only to be disapointed in the actual quality when it arrived.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  04:51:15 AM  Show Profile
Wow! We are all over the place! My hobby lobby doesn't have as much fabric as I'd like. I don't think I've ever found what I'm looking for there.

I say we shop at Sharon's or Diane's. At least we know we'll get quality service with a smile...some good conversation, and maybe even a cup of coffee/tea! ;-)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Tired of JoAnn's Fabric store (rant) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page