New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic The Shack Next Topic  

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  08:07:25 AM  Show Profile
I am just starting this book, and can't put it down. I love it, it is sad, it is wonderful. It is so profound and needs deep thinking too.

Did anyone read it? Did you like it/not like it

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  08:43:03 AM  Show Profile
I just picked it back up after putting it down for a while. I wasn't sure before if I wanted to wrap my mind around God the Father being portrayed as a woman. I felt like I was reading "touched by an angel" and kept seeing God as Della Reese LOL! But, I picked it back up last week after being recommended to give it a chance until the end. It is a good book, just a little out there at times. But then again, how can I expect to put God in a box?

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  08:51:56 AM  Show Profile
Siobhan (LOVE your name BTW) I thought the same thing, about God being a (black) women.

But then again, WHO says He couldn't be a women ;) Strange to think about indeed. Had to get past that concept as well. But when I read further (am at page 125 now) I thought, OKE why not.
Out there yes I agree with that as well, a bit. But as you say WHO can put God into a box, so to speak.
I am going to finish it, and maybe read it again straight away. It is on loan from a church friend, so have to see if I can keep it a little longer :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  12:19:58 PM  Show Profile
I started reading it too. Can't get into it for the same reasons you have already stated. Wondering what the message really is or is there one? Will pick it up again someday. Had the same problem with Glen Beck's Christmas Sweater. Kinda out there.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  12:24:41 PM  Show Profile
I read it and thought it was a very well written story. I liked that the author addressed the issue of why does God "allow" bad things to happen. That horrible events to happen but it's not a matter of it being "allowed". I also liked that he showed male and female aspects of our creator.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  12:28:12 PM  Show Profile
AnneMarie, yes it IS well written. Talked to the friend this morning in church. She told me our pastor had to read it 3 times in a row to "fuly understand the meaning". And yes, the male and female factor, I am "getting" it now as well. I also need to read it again though.
I really DO think it is a wonderful, poignant book.

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  1:07:34 PM  Show Profile
I heard a radio interview with the co-author of the book, and he shed some light on the whole issue of God being portrayed as a woman.

It turns out, the author and his wife had gone thru some hardship in their own life, and the first person to reach out to them, and 'show God' thru outreach and love, was a black woman.

So the book is more or less an abstract painting, so to speak...not necessarily to be taken literally, but to point out how God comes to us in many forms, through many people, and He'll meet us where we are. :)

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
www.patternprincess.blogspot.com
www.jodieliza.etsy.com
I'm engaged! Follow my wedding planning and sentimental musings at:
www.justinandjodiforever.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  10:10:50 PM  Show Profile
I've been listening to it on CD, and I wonder where it's going. I think the portrayal of God is interesting and very well done, but I'm particularly intrigued by the author's portrayal of the Holy Spirit. I need to finish listening to it, I'm about halfway through. Lots of people have told me they like it.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  10:37:39 PM  Show Profile
Jodi, I also think yuou can't take the book literally, so to speak. I believe we all see God different. To be honest..I never tried to see God as a person, know what I mean? Many of us portrait Jesus as a handsome man, with long flowing hair, a sweet face and a wonderful person. Maybe because he was put on earth as a human.. (Don't know how to say this).

But God always remains a mystery...a Spirit like being...not a person...So I never really tried to imagine what He looks like...Whether he is a man or woman, black or white...you know??

So the concept of God being portrayed as a black Women doesn't seem too far off, in a way.

And yes, the Holy Spirit....that is something I need to think about more....

I am halfway now and the main character just walked on water with Jesus.

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  04:20:40 AM  Show Profile
I listened to it as an e-book on a recent long distance road trip. Very interesting take on God and a good ending.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  08:21:46 AM  Show Profile
I loved The Shack, too. Here are a couple of links to interviews with Paul Young, the author, addressing many of the issues such as God as a black woman, whether to take things literally, why he wrote the book, etc. Very interesting. Just click on the links below.

http://www.thegodjourney.com/audio/2007/0518h.mp3

http://www.thegodjourney.com/audio/2008/0118h.mp3

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  08:24:09 AM  Show Profile
Yhanks Judy, going to check them out.

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  05:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Hey Dutchy,

Where are you at in the Netherlands? Both of my maternal grandparents came from the Netherlands. My great grandparents owned a farm and bakery there. (I'll have to ask my mom where.) But all that to say, I feel like I have a teensy weensy bit of a connection to you because I'm 1/2 Dutch.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  05:23:21 AM  Show Profile
Born in the North (Groningen) raised in the West (Zaandam ) Now living in the North East (Drenthe).
The Netherlands aint big, so probably know (at least the name will be familiar) where your family came from. Would love to know :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  07:47:10 AM  Show Profile
OMGoodness Judy! You're my neighbor! How did I miss you? Did you do an introduction on the welcome wagon? You're the closest farmgirl to me yet! ((shouts over the fence)) Hello neighbor!!!

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  11:21:28 AM  Show Profile
Dutchy,

My grandfather's name was Doorneweerd and my grandmother's maiden name was Houbolt. I don't know if there is any family left over there or not. I suppose there would be. I don't think the whole family came to the US. Does it sound familiar? I'm going to share your blog with my Mom. She's proud of her heritage even though she's never been to the Netherlands. :-)
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  11:35:39 AM  Show Profile
Hey Siobahn,

I'm actually closer to Rives Junction than Jackson, but still that's only about 30 minutes from Battle Creek. I joined in December just a little before Christmas, that may be why you missed me on the welcome wagon.

Do you live on a farm? My husband, daughter and I live on 2 acres in the country. I'm learning how to "lasagna garden", can and freeze what we grow.

Stay warm. Nice chatting over the fence with you.

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  11:42:57 AM  Show Profile
No, sadly I don't live on a farm :( We also live on 2 acres on the outskirts of the city. I love where we live though. I'm going to try to make it as much as a mini farm as I possibly can. Even though it's technically not legal to have livestock in the city, I've heard of some having chickens anyways and that it's not really enforced. I don't know. It's worth a try. I'm still trying to convince my husband on that one. :)

Anyways, didn't mean to hijack the thread LOL! Just wanted to say hi :)

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  1:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Judy, do you know the town/city they were from??

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  2:17:59 PM  Show Profile
I just finished the book and loved it my mom on the other hand did not like it she said it was over her head! It will make you think thats for sure! Cant wait to see what you think of the book when you are done. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2010 :  10:36:43 AM  Show Profile
I did enjoy the book. My Mom is reading it as well. You do have to stop and think or it really would be over your head in confusion

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 02 2010 :  7:27:18 PM  Show Profile
LOVE this book!! It is 'out of the box', but that is the point, I think? We have our pre-conceived notions of how the Lord should be and how He should operate in our lives, on our terms! Give the book a chance---at first I was not sure about it either?! It just is odd at times and very sad. But it is an amazing book to help us to realize who He is and perhaps on some level understand a little better His ways?! Have a good nite! Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  05:40:16 AM  Show Profile
I read it and loved it, my mom read it and didn't so each person is different. It does make you think, but again God does put many different people in our lives to reach out to us in which I am so thankful. Blessings, Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  09:55:29 AM  Show Profile
Karen, that is so true!!Enjoy the day everyone! Linda

Country at Heart