podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  12:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi! Can anyone give me some pointers for selling on Etsy or making my store and listings better. I'm trying to make the move from Ebay to Etsy- but unfortunatly ebay sells and etsy doesn't. My wreaths seem to get lost in the shuffle. Ebay is taking to much of my hard earned cash!GRR! There is no real place to list them either- other than housewares or wall decor. I can tag them to death and it does not seem to matter. I tried last year but didn't keep listing- this year I've been trying to list more fequently and see what happens.
Thanks ! Any advice would be great! There must be a way to make etsy work! -Cindy

www.podsandpetals.etsy.com

Edited by - podsandpetals on Jan 29 2010 12:20:39 PM

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  4:41:58 PM  Show Profile
Cindy,
I just checked out your shop and it looks great! Here's some advice that I would share:
1. Change your price, instead of $24.99, just list it for $25.00.
2. Change your banner. It's a little blurry. Something similar maybe with the name of your shop would be great!
3. Renew as often as economically possible- it seems like you're keeping up pretty good there though.
4. Chat a bit/promote yourself on the Etsy forums to get your shop "out there."
5. Advertise EVERYWHERE!! In your town, by word of mouth, twitter, facebook, a blog, myspace....anything!!
6. Take this, "I've been using Ebay to sell my wreaths for a long time and would like to make the change to etsy- Please check my 600+ positive feedback under the same user name -podsandpetals- on Ebay. Thanks!" -Cindy and put it in your profile instead of your announcement. It will shorten up your announcement and allow people to see your first item when they click on your shop.
7. Try and be patient. Etsy has slow times and hoppin' times. It comes and goes.
8. Try and use all 14 tags. Even if you're just choosing colors, anything that a search could bring up!
Your pictures are GREAT so I can't say anything about those. The only thing you may add is a shot of the back of the wreaths.
That's about all I can come up with! Hope it's helpful to you and that your sales start rolling in soon! ¢¾

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  5:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Heather- Wow! Thankyou so much for taking the time to look! Those are all wonderful ideas. I do need to work on my banner, I was having a hard time last year getting crisp pictures and haven't taken the time to fix it up. I like the idea of putting my name on. Thanks again for your time! -Cindy
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  6:36:06 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, your wreaths are gorgeous. I agree with Heather. Ebay has changed their fees again, and I couldn't believe it that they want 9 percent closing costs when an item sells. I had sold a lot on Etsy, but if you look at my Etsy now, it doesn't reflect the sales, since I had to create a new account. The main thing is promote your Etsy shop.

www.countrynmore.com
www.countrynmore2.etsy.com

http:// www.qualityfabricsandsupplies.ecrater.com

http://shop.ebay.com/fabrics4u23/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

www.countrynmore.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  07:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Cindy your wreaths are just beautiful. I agree with all of the above, and for my hubby and I it seems the more listings we have the better...so you may list some more items. Hang in there. You have a great product at a good price!

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
http://www.frolicnfibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  09:04:18 AM  Show Profile
Yes! I'm shocked at the Ebay price increases on the horizon! Don't they get enough already!?! I try to include the ebay fees in the list price of my items- add to that higher shipping costs and it really does turn buyers away.

Thankyou everyone for the great ideas! Your etsy shops look awesome and you have wonderful items! I'm new to networking on the web- I don't have a blog or twitter or facebook- got to get with the times! Thanks -Cindy

Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  12:13:59 PM  Show Profile
What is hard is the USPS new priority mail rates. With my online store I used to send packages that were 1 pound or less whether it was in a flat rate envelope or a priority mail envelope for the same price. The new changes actually penalize for shipping in a priority mail envelope. Now, when I ship in the priority mail envelope, the customer pays $5.55, where they used to pay $4.95. It is hard to distinguish this on our website, because the customer gets live quotes from the post office. The post office is now charging the customers even more now for the different time zones.

With Ebay, the latest message was that they charge 9 percent closing costs.

www.countrynmore.com

Go to Top of Page

podsandpetals
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Cindy
Genoa NY
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  6:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone! I just had my first sale on etsy! -Cindy

ebay seller podsandpetals
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  7:14:17 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Cindy! You have good prices.

www.countrynmore.com

Edited by - countrynmore on Feb 01 2010 7:16:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

cntry@heart
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Diane
Clinton MO
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  07:37:22 AM  Show Profile
Can someone direct to the information on starting on Etsy?

Farmgirls Rule!
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  09:09:00 AM  Show Profile
go to http://www.etsy.com/. At the top of the page, there are the tabs (Buy, Sell, etc.). Click on sell. I would give you more steps, but when I click on sell, it shows that I am already registered.

www.countrynmore.com

Go to Top of Page

cntry@heart
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Diane
Clinton MO
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  4:58:34 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, Sharon! I appreciate the information! You all may be seeing me soon! :-)

Farmgirls Rule!
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  6:04:57 PM  Show Profile
Good luck Diane. I kept learning new things. I have had an Etsy account for about a year now. I sold a lot, but had to change my name. I would try to put the old user name under my profile here on the forum, but it kept coming up censored. It took a while, but it took someone here to tell me why. I was shocked, as it was just an ordinary name, until I looked it up in the search engine. I closed the old Etsy account quickly. Too bad that you can not change your user name on Etsy.

www.countrynmore.com

Go to Top of Page

cntry@heart
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Diane
Clinton MO
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  3:17:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind! Now I'm scared! Guess I better Google it, huh??

Farmgirls Rule!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  3:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Diane, I love your wreaths. I will definitely be ordering from you. They are beautiful. Good luck I hope you sale a ton....
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2010 :  12:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I just checked your etsy sites and you are a talented bunch of ladies!!
I don't have a "shop" - but I may someday soon. You are inspirational and so helpful to each other. I love it here! I'm looking forward to supporting you thru the Support a Farmgirl nights.
FG#973

Blessings, staci
: )
Go to Top of Page
  Marketplace: Previous Topic Need help with Etsy!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page