Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How do you organize Next Topic  

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  1:07:10 PM  Show Profile
the paper in your house? I want to learn how to organize the paper clutter in my house! I'm drowning in it! What do you keep, what do you throw away? Seems every year I need to go back through my records to find some bit of paper so I'm afraid to throw any of it out. We are trying to clean out our house I have way too many years of paper clutter!

Where do you put the "keepers?". File cabinet? Box? Paper bag? How long do you keep it? Tell me your system before I die of infected paper cuts!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  05:53:44 AM  Show Profile
I only keep the taxes for the last 7 years and any insurance policies or titles. The rest is shredded and used in my compost pile if it is not the shiny type of paper, those are recycled. I do keep the MJF magazines in files made for magazines! I am currently helping my Mom clean out her paper. She keeps everything! I found a JCPenney sale catalog from the 80's! I have a small file cabinet that keeps everything neatly and I go through it every year at tax time.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  07:43:28 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I are both pack rats but I'm trying to break that habit. We are cleaning out our office at home in Colorado and the apartment we have in Cheyenne is way to small to store anything unnessessary. This weekend we carted out two big trash bags from the home office and I'm embarrassed to admit that is only a beginning. I have a bad habit of putting something aside thinking I'll look at it another time. Just like the '80's cataglog your Mom had. A lot of it is craft or decorating items I think I'd like to do someday...

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  4:52:22 PM  Show Profile
My organization is not great. I throw all the papers in a pile, and when I need something, I start looking through the stuff. LOL. It's usually then that I sit and file things away.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  04:36:55 AM  Show Profile
Paper is my nemesis. I struggle. Terribly.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  05:39:33 AM  Show Profile
We're pretty good about organizing here, but I think its only out of necessity. Living in a two family household, my family's living section of the house is just over 400 square feet. (We share the upstairs kitchen, and the boys bedroom is separate, but otherwise our office/schoolroom/bedroom/living room/ etc/ etc/ is all one spot.) So while it sounds really fantastic that we're sticklers about clutter and junk...its only because we would be buried alive if we weren't!

We use a file cabinet for important papers we need to save. And for some reason, we don't get a whole lot of mail we have to deal with. Most the paper we would end up throwing away ends up in the woodstove. :)

But in our old house...yeah, that was a different story. Piles of paper, more piles of paper...things I was going to get to "someday"...I hear you, completely!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  1:49:31 PM  Show Profile
Ask and it shall be given...I found this just today. Looks just like what I need. Now to sit down and sort the 30+ years of paper!

http://www.daveramsey.com/article/organizing-your-important-documents/lifeandmoney_other/

Audrey

Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How do you organize Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page