knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  12:53:51 PM  Show Profile
Ok I'm almost done Sarah Palin's book and although I'm a Canadian I found her story very interesting. If I am juding a book by it's cover, she seems like a pretty down to earth, hardworking woman, mother, daughter, sister and wife who was trying to make a difference. I like her no-nonsense way of things.

Watching the American elections I found that they tried to make her out as either a bumpkin in the least or some unreasonable hardliner. It just seemed very biased, the other candidates didn't seem to be attacked in the same way (which is all part of politics I know). Anyway that's what made me interested in reading her story and I'm glad I did.

Has anybody else read this book?

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  1:16:50 PM  Show Profile
You know, I am sure the women who fought for our suffrage were treated the same way by the "media" of that day. Of course they're going to do the same thing to any woman who tries to do something new that a woman has never done before. I think Sarah Palin is very smart and has great ideas and it is unfortunate that none of that was able to be seen through the mask that the media placed over her. I'd love to read her book. It's good to hear your unbiased view as an "outsider". I think she was very mistreated during the election and totally underrated and underestimated and I don't think the 2008 elections i going to be the last time we see her in leadership. Honestly, I think if you put her in a criminal line-up with some other women and Tina Fey that a large percentage of young America would choose Tina Fey as the real Sarah Palin. LOL

She's bounced back already because she's truly a bull dog, but in a most ladylike way. Those are the kind of women we need leading this country. Women who are super strong, but not ashamed to be a woman in all senses of the word (emotional, nurturing, compassionate, etc.).

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  1:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Did you happen to see Sarah Palin on the cover of "In Touch" magazine that is on the grocery store shelves currently? My husband wrote to the editor to say thank you as follows:

To Editor of In Touch Magazine,

This past week I was in the grocery store checkout line with my 2 little daughters. Ages 8 and 10 years.

As we waited in line, they were looking over all the magazines and getting bombarded with stories of Sex, Diets, Divorce, Sex, and Diets. But I was pleased to read the cover on your magazine with headlines of good choices and hope about Sarah Palin and her daughter's decision to parent their babies.

I realize that this was a story not necessarily intended to be a morality message, but I am saying "Thank you!" for placing this story on your cover if only for the benefit of girls of any age in a checkout line.

Thank you again,

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  1:24:30 PM  Show Profile
I read her book too, and enjoyed it. Who ever said you had to be a Lawyer and be ultra wealthy to run for high office?
I like her and think she is such REAL person. We need more people like that in the media and government and leadership.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  1:58:22 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps because you live in Canada, you didn't hear all the mean, false accusations Sara Palin levelled at Obama during and after the campaign. He, of course, took the high road and hardly mentioned her at all which is probably the best way to handle such a person. She quit on the good people of Alaska and deserves every bit of criticism she gets. I don't have to read her book to know she is a liar and a quitter. Of course, she's going to paint a glowing picture of herself to sell books and reap top price for speeches. Just because she's a woman doesn't give her the right to run people down. We're all equal here or at least strive to be.

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  2:52:55 PM  Show Profile
I don't think this thread is intended as a debate or place to bash people and become a he said, she said. No one ever mentioned Obama or anything about him speaking badly against Palin. We were discussing the way she was treated by the media, which, BTW, is the same media that has accused her of being a quitter and accused her of slandering Obama. It's very biased and wants to make something bad of everything she does. It's very sad. I'd hate to be called a quitter for making a job change or changing my major in college. I can't believe for a moment that she was so calloused as to just wake up one morning and say, "I think I am going to quit being Alaska's Governor today. I just don't want to do it anymore and I don't care about the people of Alaska" I'm sure she spoke with advisors and weighed her options and chose what was best for her dreams and her family. If I was being torn apart by the media I would probably want to write a book about the truth to set the record straight too.

Siobhan, wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

bobbinrobin
True Blue Farmgirl

590 Posts

Sharon
Newman Lake WA
USA
590 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  3:19:05 PM  Show Profile
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Just wanted to set the record straight

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it. -G. Elliston

www.sharnymcclarny.etsy.com
www.bobbinrobin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  3:38:56 PM  Show Profile
Amen, Sharon. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  3:51:10 PM  Show Profile
Did her daughter Bristol "deserve" all the mean things said about her, too?
Campaigns are all about each side saying "mean" things about the other...... I know, I've worked in several campaigns.
This tread was about Sarah Palin's life story in her book, not who said what about Obama.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  3:54:28 PM  Show Profile
I haven't read her book yet but my mom has. It's apparently filled with alot of history of the state of Alaska. She said it's worth reading simply for that information alone. I'm withholding judgement until I've read the book myself which I will do shortly. My ultra liberal friend is reading it right now. Can't wait to hear her take on it. She promised to be open minded and I promised to be open minded as well if she brings me a book about Obama to read.

I do believe the media is very biased and subject any woman in politics to more scrutiny than they do the men.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Sarah Palin's book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page