Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic R.I.P. LUCY :( Next Topic  

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  05:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
I am writing this through tears right now,it has been a really long night. I really do try not to cry, but it has just been to much. Posted awhile back that I had lost triplets, since then I have lost two more sets of twins that is seven babies in total not counting Lucy's. I was thinking that we had contacted Chlamydia because it is very common around here and started to treat for it. The babies were a hard enough blow but now my milk girl Lucy has passed. Lucy was great and loving goat. She was a Nubian and very true to her breed. My husband and I were at a meeting at the high school yesterday evening, my husband got home first and went to grain the critters. In the winter (my dry season) I have girls out with the rest of the herd. He found Lucy there died in the barn. Looked like she had just fell over and died. She was fine that morning or from what we could tell anyways. She was heavy pregnant but not due for three more weeks. I had just gotten a new book on making milk soap and another on cheeses, have been ready for that milk and my time in the dairy barn. I just could not believe it when I got home. I pulled up and my husband had pulled her up out of the barn and to the truck. He thought that he could catch me before I saw her but he was to late. She still looked perfectly healthy. I just keep asking myself what is going on with my herd and why Lucy. Losing any of the goats would have been heart braking but there are a couple that are heart crushing and Lucy is one. I have an appointment at the vets at one today. I have to take Lucy, the babies I lost this weekend and two of the live ones in. I really do not care how much it costs I have to know what is going on. I can not lose anymore! My kids have nothing to show in 4-H this year or the chances are slim and They are upset about that. OK I am just rambling on now. Thanks for listening farmgirls, I feel a little better already.

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  05:50:11 AM  Show Profile
Kristy, I am so sorry to read about your losses. Especially your Lucy. That is so heartbreaking. I hope the vet will be able to answer your questions. And I hope you are able to let us know, too. So so sorry.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  05:50:29 AM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry. It's heartbreaking to lose a beloved friend--as difficult as it is, I would definitely try to learn from her, and the babies deaths, so that you won't face more heartbreak. Poor dears. Poor you. Chin up.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  06:08:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kristy, the losses are so heartbreaking. Hopefully the vet will have some answers. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  06:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristy- Check your water sources! If they drink from a trough I would suggest emptying it right away, scrub it out with non iodized salt, and rinse till clean especially if any sort of red like algae is growing in it. I have some friends with goats and their goat herd started dying off one day. Nothing had changed except this odd red algae had started growing in their water. I would also check their hay and grain to make sure none of it is moldy.

I am so sorry for your losses. That is so hard! I would also contact a vet and explain whats been happening and see if they have any ideas? Perhaps there is a mineral like Selenium that your area is heavy in?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  06:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
HUGS{{{{Kristy}}}}HUGS

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry for you!

I lost a couple of babies when I first got my goats and that was REALLY hard but if one of my big girls died, I would be just as heartbroken as you!

Hopefully, the vet can figure out what is going on and come up with some kind of solution. Keep us posted.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  07:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Kristy, My heart is breaking for you. You are right to find out what caused this death and possibly the others as well. Please let us know what you find out.
BIG OLE HUG!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  08:14:43 AM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
Thanks girls I will keep you all posted. I just finished loading the goats that I am taking in. Man that was job. It is hard enough loading them big girls by yourself but with a two year old to watch out for and all the ice and muck, wow. At least it took my mined off Lucy, that was until I had to load her. Tried to keep Autumn my two year old busy so she would not see Lucy but no luck. Autumn started crying and screaming my goat, my goat, Lucy get up. All I could do is hold Autumn and apologize and promise I would find the reason. she petted Lucy and told her bye. I did not cry, I tried to be strong for Autumn now I am watching Autumn in while she is taking a bath, to get ready to go to town and trying not to let her see mom cry. I think my heart broke even more watching Autumn scream and cry for Lucy. They were buds. Autumn showed Lucy in fair last year. So did Zachary my eight year old but she took Zach for a ride, Autumn she walked perfect and showed great. Autumn would even milk her (she is going to be my farmgirl). Thanks everyone, you are all so wonderful! I will post again when I get news back from the vet.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  2:18:15 PM  Show Profile
Kristy my heart breaks for you. I hope you are able to find the cause. I am so sorry for your little herd, Carol

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  7:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
So sorry for your loss.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  7:36:50 PM  Show Profile
So, so sad to lose a good goat. She sounded like such a sweetie =(
Blessings and light

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  7:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
Found out that the wormer we switched to, due to our wormer being indefinitely back order, does about as much good as just giving them a drencher full of water. So mainly what started the problem was a serious over load of parasites, which drug there immune systems down allowing Chlamydia to attack. Chlamydia is what is killing all of the babies. What killed Lucy is that she had the worms, Chlamydia, and with her immune system trying to fight all of that off she developed acute pneumonia which is actual what killed her. Vet said that she probably only had it for a day or two but that when it set in it just flooded her lunges. I feel horrible because I know if I would have caught the pneumonia I may have been able to help her and I had just been out there and did not catch it. I did not hear her breathing heavy or see any sings of distress but I also feel much better now that I know actually what is going on. We started a round of shots tonight. All will get the same shots tomorrow night then only Brownie (the latest one to abort) will continue a couple of shots for the next four days. She is not doing very well. My vet also finally found my wormer and I will have it in next week so hopefully that problem will be taken care of also. They will all be on Aureomycin pellets for awhile and then will start them back up during breeding time. I still miss my Lucy but I do feel re-leaved now that I know I can help the rest. Another lesson to put under my belt I guess. Thanks farmgilrs for all of encouraging words and thoughts. Hopefully soon I will post some good news on here.

Edited by - sacredwolf on Jan 21 2010 7:51:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Downhome CountryGirl
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Sam
Klondike Texas
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  7:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Downhome CountryGirl a Yahoo! Message
Kristy,
I'm so sorry for your lost. I know that it's not anything I can do but listen, so I'm here. I wish there was more I could do but I am interested to know what is causing your loss. I have milk goats and I know what you mean they do become more than just one of the herd you spend that extra time with them and through all of the milking and tending to they have to learn your trust as do you have to theirs. I have one bread right now and I am waiting on pins and needles and will for the next 5 weeks. Hang in there things will get better despite what they seem like right now.
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  9:17:53 PM  Show Profile
Dear Kristy,
Death is such a mystery, and we do not always get to have a large say in it. Please be kind to yourself. I am sorry for your many, many losses.
My Best,
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  9:50:41 PM  Show Profile
Kristy--I am sorry about your goats. I worked at a petting zoo that had goats and you do get very attached to them. At least now you know what the cause was. There are some things we just don't have the foresight to prevent.
cindy
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  05:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Kristy, this is so sad. I'm crying with you.

Worming goats can be so frustrating because of all the resistant parasites. As owners, we follow "the rules" and care for our herds and still get problems. It can be so discouraging.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  05:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Kristy-

I am so sorry for your losses, but I am so very glad that your vet was able to unravel the mystery! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  06:58:41 AM  Show Profile
so very sorry you had to endure this. what a sad situation. farming can be tough. hang in there. let us know when the goats are better. sherrye
Go to Top of Page

sacredwolf
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kristy
Narka Kansas
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  6:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see sacredwolf's MSN Messenger address  Send sacredwolf a Yahoo! Message
THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!!! This is why I joined this group, you all are so great and understand so much. Things do seem to be getting better already but we do have a long road to go yet. I have four goats pregnant yet and I am very anxious but worried for them. Thanks for all of your support girls, you have really helped! Hopefully I will be able to post healthy kid pictures soon!
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  7:12:32 PM  Show Profile
Kristy, I am so sorry to hear about your goats that you have lost! I am glad to hear that you know what's going on now! I will be praying that the rest of the babies arrive healthy and happy! My heart goes out to your daughter! My kids and I tried to take care of a baby bird and it didn't make it, so I can relate to trying to be strong when you just want to cry yourself! It was heartbreaking! HUGS!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  9:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
oh my goodness Kristy. Please know that my prayers are with you! I would be a total reck by now. You are very strong! I will be praying for you!!!
Hugs,
Channah

If you can dream it, and if you are willing to put forth the work and effort, you can have anything you envision.
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  1:35:13 PM  Show Profile
I am reading this crying. I feel so sad for you. Please do nto beat yourself up. We all make mistakes. I know you did all you could and it can only get better.
We lost three mini herefords this last fall. It was from something we should have known and should not have happened. I failed to really educate my son and DH. I miss those three girls everyday. I think of them often and wish it was a lesson we did not have to learn. Please know my heart goes out to you and your family and I hope all gets much better.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  3:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Kristy:
I'm so sorry for your loss. I would have shed the same tears you did. Hugs to you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic R.I.P. LUCY :( Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page