True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  10:52:54 AM  Show Profile
Hello all!

I saw in a nearby used furniture store a vintage Singer sewing machine (black with decals) on a cabinet with the treadle. I didn't write down the serial number, I probably should have! They were asking $269 for it - I don't know if it works, but the hand-crank did work on the side. Does anyone know how I'd go about determining if this is a worthwhile investment? or if I should ask if they'd take less?

I'm a novice sewing machine user with a modern machine... this just appealed to my inner Farmgirl!

Your thoughts??

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  3:02:52 PM  Show Profile
I think that sounds a little pricey. I see treadle machines go at auction up here in Maine for no more than $100.00 and that's in perfect shape. If you are really looking for one, I'd check Craig's list. The good thing about treadle machines is that not much can go bad on them. A new belt which you can buy for about $10.00 is all you need to get them going again. Good luck!

http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PinkPorches

*And you know when the truth is told-- you can get what you want--or you can just get old.* (Billy Joel)
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  3:44:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow!! I think you just saved me a bunch of money! Thanks for the help!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me." -CS Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  05:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Lisa, TJ. Check Craigslist first. I bought one last month at a thrift and paid 129. and it's in great shape. But they decided on their price by finding a similar one on Craigslist(it was missing a drawer, so I liked mine better).

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

countrygrace
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Grace
Salkum WA
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2010 :  06:34:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi TJ
In this month MaryJaneFarm Magazine there is an artical Treadle machines. Gives some info on Jim Gisselberg in Washington state, who trades, sells and repairs vintage sewing machines. He might be able to advise you also. Its a great article lots of information.
I have my Great Grandma Singer Treadle & I love it.

"From Our Heart With Our Hands"

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.” - Laura Ingalls Wilder

http://home.earthlink.net/~daveandgrace/

Please recommend us to your Family & Friends. If they appreciate quality handmade gifts at reasonable prices.
Go to Top of Page
  Marketplace: Previous Topic Vintage Sewing Machines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page