Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  08:39:31 AM  Show Profile
Do you have any famous relatives? I have been doing my family genealogy, and have recently discovered that I have a very well-known third cousin:

James Cameron, director of Avatar and Titanic!!

(and no, he has no idea who I am...) He left Canada a long time ago!

Let's see who else has famous relatives...

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  08:41:47 AM  Show Profile
General Howe who led the British in the Revolution. My husbands, great, great, who knows how many greats Grandfather. No one in modern times...lol.

I think people should also include INfamous relatives as well!
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  08:56:46 AM  Show Profile
According to Ancestry.com, I am very distantly related to Amelia Earheart, which I think is just the coolest.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  09:15:22 AM  Show Profile
Well, do you want famous or infamous. Bob and Cole Younger "Younger Brothers" (of the Frank and Jessie James Gang) and the Dalton brothers (of the infamous Dalton gang) are cousins, Barbara Spivey (she was hanged for conspiracy in the murder of President Lincoln)(she owned the boarding house where John Wilkes Booth was staying) is a great+ Aunt and Presidents John and John Quincy Adams are Uncle and cousin. Amazingly Bob and Cole Younger and the Dalton brothers are also related to President John and John Quincy Adams. My dad use to be taken to visit the Youngers in the summer time. He said those boys were the meanest boys he ever met. They were older and he was little but he says they were awful. So some famous and some infamous LOL.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  09:46:18 AM  Show Profile
I'm related to Cyrus Field, the Captain of the ship that laid the first Trans Atlantic Telephone (Or was it telegraph - I forget) cable.
My eldest brother's middle name is Field, after him.
I am also distantly related to Kate Smith, of "God Bless America" fame in the 1940's.

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  10:15:33 AM  Show Profile
...well some of my German ancestors were horse thieves, they stole some of the Kaiser's horses for some of their passage to America... is that famous??? {heeheheee)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  10:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Well, apparently, I am related to George and Martha Washington ... BOTH of them. But then again, I thought somehow almost everyone could be at one point in time. LOL.

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

http://maggielousdaughter.blogspot.com
(in construction!)

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  1:52:00 PM  Show Profile
I am probably related somehow to Charles Schwab, the investment broker. And my mom is first cousins with Paula Dean. Mom's dad and Paula's mother were brother and sister. And mom is also related to James Garner. 2nd or 3rd.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  2:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Brooke, i have heard tale that George Washington was literaly the "Father of this Country", so yes, related to both, could be,lol.

My Great, great , great, maybe one more great Uncle was the first pony express rider hired by William Cody in Missouri. He lied to get the job, cause they would only hire orphanes, and un-married, cause they did not want to have to pay money to anyone if the rider was killed. Not a famous person, just an interesting person.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  2:39:57 PM  Show Profile
It's been said that one of my ancestors rode with the James gang. However, I don't know much about it cause my grandma would always say "Oh, don't talk about him!" whenever the topic was brought up.
cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  3:21:29 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, if your relatives were from Missouri, and were civil war soldiers, its very possible

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  4:35:24 PM  Show Profile
This is fun. I'm related to Nelson Eddy (musicals of the '30s and '40s). He was a cousin to my grandmother. I can't sing, but my daughter sure can!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  4:59:01 PM  Show Profile
My great grandfather from Berlin,Germany, Herman Schwarz (later spelled Swartz) was in the movie 'All Quiet on the Western Front" and my boyfriend's great great grandfather was Captain William G Dana, founder of our town, and a well known sea captain along the coast of California. He was married to Maria Josepha Carrillo of the Santa Barbara Carrillos.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  4:59:13 PM  Show Profile
Great topic!!!!! I think it is the first time it has been brought up. I am not related to anyone famous, but I love reading about it!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  5:01:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and a whole bunch of my cousins are in the film industry, but I don't wanna mention their names.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  5:03:19 PM  Show Profile
Hey Faransgirl, how lucky to be related to the Youngers! Mean or not, they were certainly interesting!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  5:22:13 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
BETH --- My great-grandmother lived next to the "James boys" ... she said they were nice. LOL!! (and my great-grandmother was very much a lady) .... That's interesting!!

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

http://maggielousdaughter.blogspot.com
(in construction!)

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  6:49:37 PM  Show Profile
My grandmothers ancestor Frances Eaton came over on the Mayflower. Thats the only one I know of.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  6:49:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Cindy do you know who in the James Gang because the Youngers were very big in the James gang. Maybe we are related too. LOL. Actually Shari, the Dalton Gang from Colorado and The Youngers from Missouri's mothers were sisters and My Dad's Grandmother was the third sister. And the really interesting part is that their (the three sister's) Grandfather was Gov. Runnels of Texas. Their Mother was the great niece of The two Adams presidents. Not something the Adams side of the family wanted to be known. The stories my Dad tells of the youngers would curl your hair.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  11:04:44 PM  Show Profile
Beth-I don't even know this particular ancestors name, but I have a cousin who probably knows. The James did pass through this area (southern Illinois) because there is a mansion in a nearby farm town where they stayed on occasion.
Teresa--I'm not aware of having any relatives from Missouri but it is possible. Almost all my relatives came from southern Ill. In fact, every close relative of mine who has passed on is buried within a hundred mile radius of where I live.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  12:09:54 AM  Show Profile
No famous relatives here...fun to read about all of yours though!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  05:54:58 AM  Show Profile
My Uncle who is still alive and living in NH put everything on the line and backed the inventor of Velcro. Not that famous but to have that gumption.LOL

Tina
Farmgirl #455
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  06:11:15 AM  Show Profile
My sons are related to Robert E. Lee on my ex's side. Thats all I know

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1705 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1705 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  06:47:05 AM  Show Profile
My great grandfather on my dad's side helped with the Transcontinental Railroad. We owned a Plantation in Charleston, S.C. when General Sherman took it over.
No famous realtive there but interesting. Alot of the items that I have were buried or hidden during the war. On my hubby's side his great uncle was one of the very first Texas Rangers and at this local BBQ his picture his hanging.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  06:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Well, if you're from Louisiana, I guess you could either argue "famous" or "infamous"--all depends on what your family's politics were :)
My father was first cousin to Louisiana Governor, Huey P. Long--the King Fish. Long is my maiden name...my father had the dimple in his chin, as do I, though not nearly as deep (thankfully!). He was a younger boy when Huey was assisnated.

Funny, my closest friend, Kristin, was from Louisiana and when I told her my connection to the state, she said, "Just be careful when you meet my grandmother..don't mention Huey P. I recall her saying that her daddy and brothers used to sit around the dining table discussing ways to kill him!!!"

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  10:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm...some of the family say we are related to Nathan Hale "I regret I have but one life to give my country" and some say no. We are also supposed to be related to Kenneth Copeland the TV evangilist. I've never verified either though.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

Edited by - acairnsmom on Jan 18 2010 10:42:25 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Famous relatives? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page