Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 A new puppy tomorrow *UPDATE on Danny*
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A new puppy tomorrow *UPDATE on Danny* Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  6:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Well after a couple of weeks of Danny living with us, I decided that he was too much for me to take care of. So Danny went to live with my sister. I really believed that he would stay there. Well after a week, my sister decided she couldn't keep up with him either. So she brought him back to me, cause she knows how I feel about not giving a pet to just anyone.
Danny and I sat down on the couch and had a "heart to heart" (he finally let me love on him without being all hyper and using me for a chew toy). I sure love the clumsy ox! So Danny and I came to an understanding, I promise to practice having more patience and not crying so much over lost sleep because of the occasional 2 am potty break and he promises to try harder to potty outside and at least try not to chew on my shoes and if he forgets he will drop it immediately when I say something.
Ruby is not very pleased about Danny's return, but she is warming up to him a little. She has decided that even though she is 3, she is not an old hag yet and she may be half his size, but she is learning she can play with the big dogs and if things get a little out of hand mom will jump in and put a stop to it.
Fat Max, the house bunny, is the only one that has not had a change of heart towards Danny. But Fat Max is looking forward to a new outdoor rabbit hutch and outdoor play area I have promised to put together for him once we get moved in a few months.
And of course the kids are happy Danny is back home too!!

Melanie

The fix-it-man at the apt complex my mom lives in, had a pup come up in his yard. Poor lil guy was dumped. He's a rottweiler and is about 8 weeks old. D was going to wait a couple of days before trying to find it a home, but a coyote tried to get the lil guy this evening so the pup is coming to my house tomorrow. I am so excited!! I love rottweilers and have always wanted one! My guy does not share the same feelings but oh well. We don't live together yet. But I have told my kiddos they absolutly will not tease or torment this pup. I want him to grow up to be a good and faithful pooch. My kiddos have ran off with my camera. As soon as I find it, I will post pics of out new family member.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/

Edited by - melanie47601 on Feb 14 2010 04:31:42 AM

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  6:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Rottweilers sound like wonderful dogs. I had heard good things about them and when I checked on temperment on-line that was supported. You are definately right to make sure your kids don't tease the pup or be rough with him, no chasing games either. Training needs to start when he is really little because he will be too powerful to force to behave as an adult. Congratulations!

"You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd.....
But you can be happy if you've a mind to. All you've gotta do in knuckle down, buckle down and do it, do it, do it!"
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  6:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Rottie's are great. There are six of them out at the ranch where I keep my horses. They are friendly and calm - they are not puppies) but they are great. Our mare grew up with one and she loves them. Congrats and have fun with your new family memeber.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  04:38:39 AM  Show Profile
How exciting! I love puppies!!!

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  06:58:07 AM  Show Profile
I love Rottweilers. They just don't like cats. I got a beautiful female once from the pound and took her back that afternoon. She had every cat up in the trees and they were having anxiety attacks. It took days for them all to come back down again. But they are great dogs. I am happy for you. And a puppy will be easier to train than a grown dog. Have fun with him. Have you named him yet?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  07:23:19 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful of you for saving that little pup! I truly believe in Cesar Milan's training. It will help your new pup be a confident and balanced addition to your family. Thank you again for saving a life, you will be rewarded ten-fold!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  08:39:54 AM  Show Profile
I was scared of rotties until I met a friend who had one. He was an absolute sweetheart and he was fixed either. He was gentle and loving and the biggest lapdog. Changed my attitude and made me realize it is how you raise them. He didn't like cats either. Good luck with your puppy.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  09:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
He's here!! The kids want to name him Pesto and they haven't even seeen him yet. After trying to take him and Ruby (our Peek-a-Poo) out for a potty run, I'm thinking he should be called Big Bottom. She's trying to go all over the yard and he just plops down and looks at me like I'm crazy. Next pee run, they are going out separately. And he's such a whiner! LOL But he's still a baby. Right now he's curled up under the desk by my feet. I'm sure he will be a lover! He just hasn't met Fat Max the rabbit yet. Hmmm that may be an adventure later. Well I'm off to go get more dog food. A little bag lasts Ruby about a month, bet it won't last him 2 days!

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  11:22:12 AM  Show Profile
Melanie:
Hurray to those like you who adopt and love puppies. Hurray! Do you have a picture of the little guy? I'd love to see him.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  8:42:35 PM  Show Profile
it might be a good idea to take the family and the dog to training. He will be a powerful dog one day and better to teach him when he is young!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  10:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
No picture yet Marly. I'm still looking for my camera. I can't for the life of me figure out what the kids have done with it.

I was thinking the same thing, Beverley. I'm planning of getting his trip to the vet taken care of. Get him all checked out and shots. He seems fine. He's playing more and eats good. Chews on things, but seems to know the word "no". He thought he was going to chew my boots a little bit ago. I looked at him and said no in a stern voice. Didn't get up from my chair or anything. He stopped, looked at me and came and laid down by my feet. But I do want to take him to training. I really believe all of us will learn so much more by doing that. Petsmart has an 8 week course. the trainer gave me a copy of her schedule so I'm looking to see if something she has will work with my schedule. I'm also thinking about dropping by the store one day while she is doing a class and seeing if I can just observe for a little while to make sure she's the trainer I want to use.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

ZenGoddess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Cindy
MO
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  2:25:34 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your new puppie and trying to get all of your family adjusted and on the same traing page.
I had a dog trainer come out to the farm when I got my 2nd Pyrenese a female, who was suppose to be leash trained but was not. She offered alot of insight and it was one on one, without the distractions of other dogs or smells and she could see how things were for the dog on a daily bases and in that way she offered alot of help.
I realize guardian dogs are alittle different that a house dog but I think all dogs are guarding the people/families they love to some extent.
I would take just alittle time to get aquainted before taking him to classes, make sure he knows his name and will listen to you, lots of eye contact and praise, treats certainly help when they are still puppies and most of all laugh and play with him!!
Wishing you the best of luck !

Hugs,
ZenGoddess/Southernplum
My life goal is to Simply - Simplify my life.
http://herbalcottage.blogspot.com
http://herbalcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  06:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Congrats on the new pup, I have know rotties in the past, well-trained ones are such wonderful companions. I thank you for rescuing him, we have a rescue LeaLou, terrier mix, we are so glad we brought her home. Just remember he is a puppy, big breed puppies are still puppies even when they look grown up. He will need lots or exercise, teach him to run beside your bike or pull the kids on a skate board, that will take away that excessive energy and all of you can have fun. Most important, you are the pack leader, he feel safe and secure when he knows yor are in charge. Mama must alwasy be in charge not Danny.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic A new puppy tomorrow *UPDATE on Danny* Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page