Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Appliance woes (long) Next Topic  

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  3:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Been in this house 4 years with brand new appliances and now two are down for the count. The oven went out right before thanksgiving and (expensive) parts did not make it here till after...but still...turkey got cooked a couple days later. Then right after xmas..the side by side went out...right after hubby and I splurged on a bed/mattress. Well, there was the old bait-n-switch from Art Van on the mattress...(more than doubled the cost) and I just told them no way! Still paying on the bedframe though. Then...the fridge. So, no prob...it's winter right? So I bought a couple of big plastic tubs and sat them in the garage. Friend loaned us this small "beer" fridge but turns out that's all it's really good for because everything freezes solid! (of course, beer and ice would be fine in there....but milk and eggs???) OK...I'm a bit of a farmgirl at heart at least...I can deal...till spring.... BUT, you guessed it, put the (frozen) lasagne that I put together yesterday and the oven is out again! Also had a carrot cake in there. Did the cake, two little tins at a time in the toaster oven (we don't have a microwave) Back up plan for dinner, leftover pork/gravy/noodles, which was actually for tomorrow. So...no fridge and no oven. The stove top is good (gas) and have the toaster oven and a crock pot. I was just getting the hang of baking bread and cookies regularly... I think I can get through the next few months by stove top/toaster oven/and crockpot. By then, hopefully, will have saved enough to do fridge/oven.... Because, hubby just had to spend a chunk on computer stuff when his crashed and he needs to have it for work (he's an independent). Whew. Of course it could always be worse...but I won't mention anything else because I don't want to hex myself!!! Yikes! Thanks for listening!

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  4:00:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry, my oven went out on Christmas day about 6 yrs ago, with the dinner in it, since I didn't have to watch it, we were all outside , so I don't know how long it was out, longer story, shotened, I finished dinner in the outer canning kitchen, and we ate about 8pm, instead of 1pm,lol. I too have had frig's die at the worst time, but never that new or all at the same time, sorry again.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  6:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Hang in there Star -- life can go on without an oven and fridge..... I haven't had an oven (or real stove) in over a year and am making out just fine. Go get you one of those $25 electric roasters (probably less if you can find one at a thrift store) and besides frozen pizza I can cook absolutely anything else I want to. (but then again I'm not really very big on cakes, cookies and the like) A cheapie micro is an absolute necessity...I have an extra one I'd give you if you were closer.... as far as the fridge goes...my friend just this weekend told me the exact same thing, 4 years old and out already.....try and get a used one from craigs list to hold you over until you can get a better one....you should also be able to get ahold of a used appliance person somewhere fairly local to where you live.....and since the apps. were bought new w/the house, if you have a home warranty, dig your paperwork out and see if by chance it extends to the appliances....probably not, but it's worth checking.....good luck!

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  9:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh, T!! That is just horrible! Do you guys not have warranties on these appliances?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  05:17:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm embarrassed to say I never even thought about the warranties! Geez!!! I'll have to dig up that paperwork.... Thanks! I re-read my post and I do sound a little whiney...which is not to say that I don't sometimes feel like I deserve a good whine. But...I think I can do just fine without both. Kids were cool with the switch up... and I think I can get the frozen lasagne switched over to the crockpot. Chilli is in the crockpot for tonight! ;-) Was going to do cornbread....but....the carrot cake actually didn't do to badly in the toaster oven, so may try some cornbread "muffins" that way too. OR....there is an oven in the teacher's lounge...could just cook the lasagne here then take it home hot and ready to go! LOL... Thanks for the support! As Hannibal said in 210BC..."we will either find a way, or we will make one!"
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  06:59:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh...you poor thing!

I've got lots of spare crock pots, a spare microwave, and a spare side-by-side fridge, if you need to borrow any of it.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  07:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
T- the oven in the teacher's lounge sounds like a good way to go! Hopefully you do have some warranties to help out!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Jan 12 2010 07:52:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  06:42:30 AM  Show Profile
Well, ladies...I haven't been able to find warranty one! :-( I was just over at another post reading about "too much stuff" and I'm there and hip deep in "wandering around in circles" looking for stuff I need/or have lost. I've just been through the first week of full meals w/no appliances and it wasn't so bad! OK...I can't do salads (had to buy one to eat yesterday) they freeze but everything else seemed to go OK. Milk is interesting. It usually freezes solid so needs to be "thawed" for cereal in the morning. Put it under some running water for a bit and you can get enough for a bowl! LOL. 9 year old takes care of it himself.... I am going to bring up the small fridge from the basement though to avoid that today. I miss fresh veggies. Carrots, green peppers, even jello...too much water and it freezes solid. Lasagne in the crockpot did not turn out so well. Too long of a day without monitoring. Hubby loved it "crunchy"...boys/me, not so much. AND the cornbread muffins in the toaster oven? PERFECT. Just the right size for putting in the bottom of the bowl to pour the chili over. We did the old standbys for the week, chili, spaghetti, lasange, pork/noodles, sloppy joes. I bought a couple steaks on sale so I may just send the hubby out to grill since we are having a bit of Jan thaw here in MI.

Thanks Jessie Mae for the offer! You rock! But I think we are OK. It's always an adventure at my house.... :-)
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  09:42:25 AM  Show Profile
We just got all new things too ; moving into our new home we built
I know what you mean and going through
They just don't make things to last very long; and the price we have to pay for them
hugs to you! sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativewritings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Appliance woes (long) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page