Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 LIW Road Trip June 2010 Farmgirls on the Loose.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic LIW Road Trip June 2010 Farmgirls on the Loose. Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  2:05:40 PM  Show Profile
April, Sonshine4u has spruced up the blog site and it is wonderful. She also made a fantastic pdf file.

www.farmgirlsontheloose.blogspot.com
Enjoy !

A few months ago we tossed around the idea of a Prairie Pilgramage to the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museums and Homesites. Well, after much consideration and cabin fever) I have been looking into this project.

This will require some feedback from anyone interested.

This will be a ZIG ZAG across the prairie states. The zig and the zag are important for travel/convoy.

This is how the trail rendezvous will work. Anyone is invited to join the trail at anytime. Reservations must be made in advance!! No exceptions for this. You will be responsible for getting to and from point A to point B to point C ETC.
You will be responsible for all of your own expenses, gas, etc.
For those who do not have campers or tents , hotels/motels will be suggested in close proximity. There maybe a bus tour involved on some of the sites.

We MUST plan "giving projects" along the way. We will have this figured out before the tour. Donations such as clothing, food pantries, etc. Something to give back to the community.

There are 6 designated sites we will be seeing. There will scheduled stops along the way for additonal museums and parks. This need to be planned as a group as well.

Like mentioned before.. anyone can join and drop out at anytime. You must decide how much of the tour you can do or want to do.This will be a great opportunity to meet up with pen pals, blog pals, family ( if you wish) and to meet new friends and farm sisters.

Each chapter is welcome to plan a night of activites, food and fun.
There will be pre-announced contests along the way.
In De Smet,SD there is a scavenger hunt with a pre-purchased it from the museum. We can have a board game night, craft night, learn a new craft night and planned pot lucks etc.

Starting in De Smet, SD to Walnut Grove, MN to Pepin WI, to Burr Oak, IA to Independece, KS and finally to Mansfield, MO.
I know that Pepin is the birthplace, but for traveling sake this will help with the zig zag.

We will try to make the best recommendations for everything from road travel, restaurants, camping and hotels.

There will be a phone tree for everyone on the trail so we do not lose anyone. There will also be waivers and contact information to be filled out by everyone. Safety first.

Anyone interested in the idea please contact me as soon as possible so we can start a blog site and those not able to join us can read about our travels and enjoy the photos as if they were eating dust on the trail with us.

The month of June comes to mind. It is before it gets to hot and after the rains. July is the Farm Fair at Mary Janes Farm do not want to miss that.

Thanks.

WENDE

www.farmgirlsontheloose.blogspot.com

New blog entry how to start earning badges on road trip.

You know your a Farm Girl when...

Edited by - Wende on May 06 2010 5:18:36 PM

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  2:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to mention on more thing.. You do not have to be "on the tour" to join us at each site.
For instance you are close to one site and want to join in the fun and meet new farmgirls.. please by all means JOIN US for the day!!

We can plan a picnic or a campfire at the park and make it a special time to share with no obligations or detailed planning. Just get together and swap stories.

Thanks , again..

WENDE

Waiting to hear from all of you ....

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  5:43:10 PM  Show Profile
I can likely meet up in Mansfield! Add me to your list and keep me posted.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Hollyhobbie
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Tanya
Los Angeles Ca
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  5:54:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Wende,
I loved the Little House on the Prairie books. I grew up in Minn, even though I have never been to the Museum ,sod house, or the Wilder pageant in July.(I have been to the one in De Smet!)
You could contact www.walnutgrove.org for more info.
There is also a old general store near called the Harkin store.
I know the Guthrie theatre is performing "Little House on The Prairie
in August.
Cheers,
Tanya

Cheers,
Hollyhobbie
Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  6:54:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie.
Will definately keep you posted.
That will be the end of the trail for the tour.

You can follow along on the blog site to see where it is going.

Mansfield is very close to Springfield, MO, so there are many options for accomodations. But we want everyone close so there is good commoraderie.
Look forward to meeting you in June.

WENDE

Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  6:57:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great info Tanya. I have added it to the list of things to see.

I hope there is a good turn out at each location.

Thanks again.

WENDE

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  8:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Love this Wende.. You rock~ what a really great time this would be.

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/ReneGroom
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  06:43:56 AM  Show Profile
///bump///
thanks.

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  07:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Double bump.. we need to keep this one going for sure.

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com
www.renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  08:00:58 AM  Show Profile
Baker Creek Seed Company would be a great place to drop by. They have an old west style town built on their property and all kinds of events schedueld there. It's not too far from the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum. Excellent place to get heirloom seeds. And Emily Gettle is a Farm Girl on this site! I'd love to meet up with you guys on your way through.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  08:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Details are in place for a "whoop it up" good time.

Watch for posts and the blog site for the tour details.

Two weeks 7 locations and many , many farmgirl sisters and friends to meet along the way.
We are recommending a charm bracelet to catch memories with. Farmgirls can make their own charms to share with each other to include on the bracelet.
Will send link for bracelet.

Get your traveli'n aprons ready !

Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  2:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Wende. you are the best planner! I told my mister about this, he said "GO GIRL". I'd love to see Baker Creek also. I may not be able to do it all, but I'll be there for some of it. I might have to bring a tent!

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  6:49:52 PM  Show Profile
HOpe you join us in KC and finish the tour with us.
There are several meeting us at Baker Creek Seed in Mansfield.

Can't wait. I think this is going to be great.
WEND

Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  9:00:37 PM  Show Profile
Bump it up.. thanks

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  09:21:39 AM  Show Profile
Wende - this looks amazing. I wish with all my heart I could join you but not this year - DH is laid off and my son will leave for college in a year and a half so we are spending available time/money with him - anyway.... I love the Laura Ingalls Wilder books - I read them every couple of years. My grandparents lived in Minnesota for a long time so one summer we went to Walnut Grove and De Smet - Mansfield is on my list of places to go. This sounds like so much fun - please be sure to post pictures!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  09:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Amy..Wish you were going too! Please check the blog site from time to time and add anything you like.
It has been suggested to follow the Lewis & Clark Trail next year. That will be in your neck of the woods.

Will be thinking of you Amy. WENDE

Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  11:10:18 AM  Show Profile
How cool is this!? I'm a homeschoolin' momma and have been wanting to do this trip with the kids, but this sounds like a lot of good ole girl time on the trail! How fun! This is something I'd definitely have to discuss with the hubster, but the possibility of just meeting up in Walnut Grove, MN sounds promising!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  11:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi April,
Just wrote you a personal email, but wanted to tell you how much I love your site.
Makes me want to get in the dirt.

Thanks for sharing. Hope to meet you in June.

WENDE

Go to Top of Page

Hollyhobbie
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Tanya
Los Angeles Ca
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  8:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Wende,
I had another idea for your adventure. I own the The Little House on The Prairie Cookbook. You could make foods along the way from the cookbook. There's buckwheat pancakes, Johnny cakes ,etc..and things like that.
I probably won't be able to make the trip, but it sounds fun.

Cheers,
Hollyhobbie
Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  05:31:03 AM  Show Profile
Send some recipes. This sounds like fun.
We have a author farmgirl joining us in De Smet and Walnut Grove. She is going to have a Q & A with us if we need it and a presentation on her work. She researches LIW .
Looking forward to it.
For the kids we are going to plan a "passport' for them to fill out for the trip .Stickers, rubber stamps and a writing section for them.
WENDE

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  06:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like so much fun!

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.Prosserfarmgirls.ning.com

Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  11:52:56 AM  Show Profile
Amazingggggg. There is a passport already in place at the site in De Smet. The book has everything in it. It is stamped at the site and everything. I think I want one for myself.

I have been tossing around ideas or my "charm" to share with those I meet along the way.
Sculpy clay and beads.. hmmm... this is going to be fun.

I have also been asked if we can stay a night or two in the Walmart parking lots along the way. YES of course. Walmart encourages campers to stop and use their parking lots for the night.
No charge is the best part. WE can consider Decorah in Iowa and Liberty, MO. Anyone who chooses can do this or stay in the campground both nights.
Just thinking of money saving tips for the tour.

Suggestions for "project giving" have been food pantries, cleaning up a musuem site by planting flowers etc, also a thrift community store to clean and donate items. How about cleaning a horse barn for a few hours of service??

Thanks to everyone who has emailed me about the tour.

WENDE

WENDE

Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  2:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Alright sistas...this is going to be amamzing! I'm bringing my kids and we're gonna have a blast camping along the way! Can't wait!!! Yee-haw!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  07:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Wende, how many farmgirls do you have gathered up for the actual tour? I know there are several of us who want to meet you all as you pass through, but I was curious as to how many are going to be able to make the whole trip. Wish I could!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan

Deeperrootsfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Wende
True Blue Farmgirl

353 Posts

WENDE
Kansas City Missouri
USA
353 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  10:30:53 AM  Show Profile
I will need a head count of those who want to do all or part of the tour by May 1, 2010.

If anyone would like to have a farmgirl stay please let me know. (ie. If you would like to invite a farmgirl on the tour to stay overnight )

Also, for those farmgirls who would like to join us for the day , please let me know in advance.
We will need to give you directions to where we will be , such as the site or a park or the campground. WE would also like to make plans for classes or lunch/ dinner/ campfire, etc.

There will be a "plan day"when we rendezvous in SD to fill in the blanks and get contact information. Maps will be discussed.
Guidebooks are available at the first site. Charm bracelets at the second site unless you have your own. Make plenty of charms for those you meet along the way for trade.

There will be a check list for those with campers, tents, kids, Mister Sisters or vans of what to bring just in case.
Also, we need to consider 'project giving " and "keeping it green".

Mary Jane Butters has graciously accepted an invitation to send a letter to each site to be picked up and then read to the group at lunch, dinner or around the campfire. This is just like having her with us. She will be there in letter and spirit.

There is a possibility Rene Groom may join us for all or part of the trip. She may also need to be at MJF for the Farm Fair planning. Would love to have her with us !! This will be a farmgirl fellowship tour.

The tour will end on Friday, June 18 so everyone can get back home for Father's Day.

Please keep the lines of communication open.
A list of campgrounds, hotels , B&B's will be posted and/or emailed to you if you write.
We will try to make this as economical as possible, too.

WENDE

Edited by - Wende on Jan 26 2010 10:33:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  07:41:03 AM  Show Profile
I know this is just in the planning stages. I probably wouldn't know about my "can or can't go" until I knew when you were going to be where. I may be able to join you for part of the trip, but it all depends. I gathered from the posting that it ends June 18th, and you also said it would be a two week trip somewhere in the posting. So it would start June 4th? How long are you planning to stay at each place? Or is that yet to be determined? I'll keep my eye open for postings on this thread to see if I will be able to swing it in the schedule...

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic LIW Road Trip June 2010 Farmgirls on the Loose. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page