True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  11:51:26 AM  Show Profile
What is a good size?
I am looking to buy one. There are only 2 of us but I do also want to be able to can things in it also.

I am having a hard time figuring out what size to look for.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  12:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Bridge, I have two. One's for cooking foods in, and it probably holds about three quarts. The other's for canning, and it's a MONSTER. It's an All American, and holds a whopping 42 quarts! It finally broke the wiring harness on my last stovetop with it's sheer weight, and now I have a glass top JennAir that I don't DARE put it on! I'll have to use a separate burner, probably commercial grade, if I ever pressure can again.

We sure put up a lot of chili, spaghetti sauce, beef stew, and other great things with it though!

For me, I don't think I'd ever try a dual purpose one. It'd be too big for cooking for just the two of us, and too small for canning. I don't like to have a gazillion jars lined up to go through the canner. A small canner is a big bottleneck. But unless you have a huge, strong stove, don't get one as big as my big one. Sheesh, it's ten and a half gallons!
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  6:48:16 PM  Show Profile
I think my "big" canner hold 7 quarts. It's a nice size for canning because you can do a few jars at a time. It's hard for me to prepared much more than that amount of produce by myself in an afternoon anyway. I think I'd agree, invest in a smaller one for cooking too, 3 quarts is about right.
Mary Ann, I can't believe you broke your stove canning! 42 quarts IS a monster! LOL
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  9:27:56 PM  Show Profile
The one I have is an 8 quart. I use it to feed my family of 4 all the time and also to can with. I personally wanted something where I only had to store one piece of equipment. I'm like abbasgurl and wouldn't be able to much more myself in one afternoon. I think it's all about personal preference. If your family is big, obviously go for the bigger one or if you have a smaller family and have the storage room go for 2 separate ones. Either way get something, pressure cookers are awesome!!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure cooker Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page