mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  06:59:20 AM  Show Profile
OK. So in the process of the new kitten learning to use the litter box, by featherbed was the unfortunate recipient of cat urine. I took it to a local dry cleaners to have it cleaned. Though I can't seem to get what I think is complete truth from them , for some reason, the featherbed took many days to dry and the first time I went to pick it up it smelled really nasty. They cleaned it again, but it still smells really bad to me. They say that they can't smell it - whatever!

So now my question is, what is the best way to get the musty feathers smell out? In lieu of spraying it with febreeze (YUCK!) and leaving it outside on the line for days is there something that I can do? Leaving it on the line is not an issue except that I'd have to bring it in and out everyday.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  07:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Jonnie, Sunshine is the great odor destroyer!!! hehe
It really does work, and yes, it may take days.
It sounds like they may have let it take to long to dry. I know when I wash my huge king size down comforter- and yes I do wash it in a big front loader at the laundry mat!- it takes a very long time to dry and I have to shake it out and turn it while it's drying. It really stinks until it is completely dry....
Can it be washed? You could try taking it to a laundromat and use the biggest machine they have, then run it through the dryer just to get some of the wetness out, then finish drying it on your line.
Other than that, I don't know, maybe someone else will have some better ideas?

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  07:29:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Brenda. I probably should just have done that in the first place. It would have been a lot less trouble, and yes, I think their dryer was having a problem. Plus it was really humid down here at that time.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  03:24:42 AM  Show Profile
I have found that washing anything cat pee related with Arm & Hammer washing soda is amazing. Of course a down comforter is a huge washing adventure, but worth the effort of going to the laundramat...good luck.

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  06:57:18 AM  Show Profile
Problem is solved, thanks for all the suggestions. After I picked it up from the cleaners, I put it outside in the sunshine. Slept on it last night and it was wonderful!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

Perennial
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Bea
Southwest Virginia
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  1:48:51 PM  Show Profile
I have an older cat that became a "bed wetter" for a short time - anytime she does, i put the covers in the washer (we have front loader), piles of vinegar from my 1 gallon jug in on it, then my home-made detergent out of borax, ivory soap and washing soda. When it has gone through to the down comforter, i've done the same. The trick is lots of vinegar and don't absolutely don't overstuff washer because it needs space to do it's thing. Then, i put comforter in dryer with a sneaker and let it dry. If it's good enough to hang out, i first fluff it up for a bit in dryer with air only and sneaker, then i hang it out until dry, then put in dryer with air, to do a final fluff up. Now, we keep bedroom door closed, but i'm thinking of buying a cheaper tarp (plastic one), to toss on my bed when i want to leave my door open to get more even heat/cooling and also when it's warm to let air throughout house.

Good luck - i feel your pain - one time, my hubby woke up early, decided he wanted "fresh" smelling sheets and washed and hung all out made the bed, walked out of room for 5 minutes and that's all it took - i think she used up one of her lives then!
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2010 :  1:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Bea! I appreciate it. The reason that I took to cleaners is that it won't fit in the washer. It's actually a heavy featherbed - way bigger than a comforter.

We put the kitty in the garage for about a week where she could only use a litterbox and she is doing better. She still goes on the dog's bed sometimes, though. It will fit in the washer.

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  2:43:25 PM  Show Profile
glad you got the smell out
i use a white vingar in the rinse cycle
with the smelly things
but if you want to refluff that comforter in the dryer with tennis balls
does the trick for me..i also mist it with lavender its wonderful done the same with my pillows

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic HELP!! Is my featherbed ruined? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page