farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  12:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone suggest the best batting to use in a quilt. I have heard many different things. The cotton batting is soooo expensive around here, are there any alternatives?

Thanks in advance for your help

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Has life got you down?...Look Up!

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  1:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Well... it depends on what you are looking for!
If you want a what I call "pure" quilt, that's pretty much a green quilt, with all natural materials, you would use either cotton or wool. Yes, it is more expensive, but I love the way it quilts and looks like a really old fashioned quilt. It also is heavy, adding more weight to a quilt than polyester.
Polyester is good for loft, It has that slightly puffy look, unless you use really thin batting. It washes well, lasts forever, and is much less expensive than cotton or wool. I used polyester for years.
You can also use old blankets for batting. I have done that many times when making quilts for my kids. I have even used old electric blankets with the extra cord cut off. These I tie rather than quilt the top. I wonderful wool blankets that I bought at garage sales for quilt batting. One of them will go into a flannel quilt that I am in the process of making. Imagine how warm and snuggly that will be!
Since I don't quilt as much as I used to- hoping that will change!- I use more cotton now. I do use polyester still for wall hangings and lap quilts.
Hope this helps!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

Nothing we achieve in this world is achieved alone. It is always achieved with others teaching us along the way. Lee J. Colan

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  2:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Okay
here is one thought
High loft batting/ I don't care for .
I made a full size bed quilt ; much like a comforter
It is soooooo heavy !!
It is warm but Heavy
I hand sewed and hand quilted it by hand
It takes me a year cause I am the only one quilting on them
I used the mountain mist/ I like pretty well
It washes and drys in the machine really well.
I like the warm and natural if'n you are going to machine quilt
Hand quilting is really hard for that one.
If you are looking for a brand name ; I think it depends on how much you quilt and so forth and so on
If you are just starting; get some and try it and go from there
good luck '/ hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativewritings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  4:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Did you try wally world as it is quite a bit cheaper there I wouldn;t recommend anything else. Is this your first quilt?

http://cinnamongirlsthreads.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  7:45:40 PM  Show Profile
at joanns they have 40 to 50% coupons that brings the price down?!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmallgrl
True Blue Farmgirl

483 Posts

Angela
Westminster MD
USA
483 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  07:45:54 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so here the situation. I have made a "quilt" for my aunt but I just used fleese on the back by her request and quilted it to that, it was what she wanted so I was happy with that. I made my MIL a lap quilt for Christmas....my first REAl block quilt, but I used polyester batting and I did not like the way it felt.
I have 2 vintage quilt tops that I want to quilt, but I want to use them:) I also have some quilt blocks that are made out of hexagaons shaped into flowers... I have no idea what I will do with them.
I am trying to locate a coupon for jo anns...that is a good idea, although I hate to shop there...bad experiences at the one here.
I am going to hand quit these as I did not like the machine to do the ones I have already completed. This is all new to me so I am sure it will take forever. I have even thought able getting someone else to do it...but that costs more $ than the batting:) LOL
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Angela
Farmgirl Sister #337

Has life got you down?...Look Up!
Go to Top of Page

Red River Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

183 Posts

Nancy
Ardmore Oklahoma
USA
183 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  4:38:08 PM  Show Profile
I personally love the cotton batting. When it is washed it gives the look of an antique quilt. I make quite a few quilts, am currently making one for my youngest son so I buy in bulk. I save up and buy an entire roll of it and it last me forever. I do that with my muslin and my cream flannel which I also use for quilt backing. Hope that helps!

~Count your blessings instead of sheep~ (Bing Crosby) ~Nancy~
SANTA BRIGADE
http://santabrigade.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  4:42:26 PM  Show Profile
I believe you can download coupons from Joannes web site. I would never use polyester in a quilt top as it bunches and does not wash well. In a quilt you are using 100 percent cotton so you should use a cotton batting. Invest also in fabric glue spray then you don;t have to pin or baste. If you keep at your hand quilting it really doesn;t take long. I set a goal 1 block per day.

Sounds like you have lots of fun stuff to play with. Lucky girl. If you want to do something else with the hexegons here is some ideas pillows,pot holders, tote bags etc I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Remember when you by the batting it is an investment that you want to last a lifetime so it is worth the cost. Also remember it is wide so it sounds worse then what it is.

Have fun with your quilting and good luck. We would love to see pics and any questions just ask and someone will help,

http://cinnamongirlsthreads.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  8:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Couple of my random thoughts. I always use cotton batting. I love the way it looks ("quilty") and I like hand quilting it. It is expensive, but there are sometimes coupons and I agree with Carrie that if you're creating something you want to last a long time, you need to use the best "parts" you can get. A quilt is only as strong as its weakest element. I also like cotton because it is a natural fabric and breathes. I do my best to keep polyester anything off my bed because it makes me sweat. I usually buy a bigger batt than I need and use the pieces left for smaller quilts and crafts.

I have a wool batt that I'm saving - I'm not sure yet for what. I guess I'll know when it shows up.

I just used the new bamboo batting in a tote for the tote swap, but I didn't use much so am not sure about the quiltability of it yet. However, I do like its weight and texture and the idea that its made from a renewable resource. I guess time will tell. BTW, I got in sale for 40% off at Hancock's New Year's sale.

OK, so I'm going to bed now. Here it is almost 11:00 again and I'm here typing. 5:30 comes very early. Night ya'll!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  7:07:47 PM  Show Profile
Angela the ladies I quilt with like to use Hobbs Thermore for hand quilting. They say it needles better. I machine quilt now but, one goal this year is to hand quilt one of my quilts. Check with your local quilt guild. Sometimes we have quilt shops that come for a trunk show and offer discounts to guild members. Handcocks of Paducha web site offers sales on batting. I ordered some batting from Hobbs and shipping was not that bad. Would love to see a picture when your finished.
Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  7:58:50 PM  Show Profile
I agree with the 100% cotton batting. When you find a coupon, stock up.
I have tried them all and I always go back to cotton. It just works better, whether you quilt it by hand or machine. Jo Ann's has very good batting and they also have very good coupons. If you go to their web site and join their e mail newsletter, you will get the coupons all the time. And you will even get "e" coupons! Sometimes they even have free shipping. Good luck!
coffeemom
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  10:07:58 PM  Show Profile
I like to use Quilter's Dream cotton batting for hand quilting. Sometimes I use Hobbs 80-20. It's also very nice. I don't especially like Warm and Natural. I personally think it's hard to quilt through but maybe that's just me. I know lots of people use it. I do use W&N on the longarm sometimes. I found some cheap batting one time that was part wool. I loved hand quilting that!
I used bamboo batting once too. It was fine to quilt through but it feels 'funny.' I think it's pretty flammable too. Cotton is my favorite because I like the antique 'quilty' look.

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  08:49:11 AM  Show Profile
I only use 100% cotton. I buy the Hobbs Organic batting but I buy mine in a roll wholesale since I make so many quilts. If I had to buy retail though I'd absolutely say to shop JoAnn's store or on line and use their 40% off coupon!
I stay away from polyester anything but that's just my personal prefernce.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  3:37:44 PM  Show Profile
Just another thought I didn't see mentioned to consider when choosing your batting is how far apart it has to be quilted.
I prefer cotton and wool, but I have used polys and poly blends that did work well. I have also used blankets when I knew the quilt would be used by someone who would not give it special care.
I don't like high loft. Not only because of the look but it's terrible to try to work with.
I also prefer a quilt basting spray for machine quilting. It is so much easier than pin or thread basting. The down sides are the chemicals in your quilt-wash well, it does not stay "glued" forever, coming apart if you don't quilt in time, and it also seperates in damp weather, which is incredibly frustrating. However, knowing this it has been a wonderful tool.
In the past I have ordered batting from Hancocks and gotten a good price, haven't checked recently, though.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page