Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 We turned off the TV - service that is!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic We turned off the TV - service that is! Next Topic
Page: of 2

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  07:44:52 AM  Show Profile
Part of the decision was financial yes but more than that it is a choice to promote family bonding. We have been spending far too much time wasted in front of the stupid box. We're going to try and see if we can make it a full year. Wish us luck. Anyone else tried this before and have any ideas, especially about helping younger children survive?

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  07:53:50 AM  Show Profile
Music I its just noise that they are after. Some music and singing and dancing goes along ways.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:13:08 AM  Show Profile
AlyssaMarie-
I'm gearing up over the next 12 months to do the same. There is only one child (12) out of my four that will care, but she is the most dramatic and emotional. So, we're slowly weaning her. Last night I said she could watch one hour of TV. She chose The Secret Life of the American Teenager. It is on ABC Family. So I thought it would be fine. I was in the other room and couldn't see the TV, but could hear it. My goodness, I'm no prude, but it made me uncomfortable. The entire program was about a group of teenagers figuring out how to have sex, where to have it, what to do now that they've had a baby, their parents having sex...it was awful. My older daughter (15) agreed with me and asked her to change the channel because she was uncomfortable too. She counted the time the word "sex" was used between commercials and counted 17 times. We have one year left on our service agreement and then it's gone. Who needs to watch that crap?

So, good for you and your family. I'm very proud of you!

Smiles,
Lisa

http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/

*And you know when the truth is told-- you can get what you want--or you can just get old.* (Billy Joel)
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:45:28 AM  Show Profile
AlyssaMarie:
Good for you and your family. I would love to do that, but my Sweetie (husband) loves the military and history channels. All the other stuff on the tube is a waste of money to me. I may watch TV 1 hour a day. I leave the Weather Channel on for the cats and dog. LOL.
Like Diana, I would rather listen to music, classical, or work on the piano. Good luck to you and yours this year.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:56:46 AM  Show Profile
Good for your family! There are days where I'd like to get rid of our brain drain as well. I have a friend whose family doesn't have TV service and their kids do fine. They have a TV but it's only for VHS/DVDs and even then it's rarely on.

Don't worry about the kids, after the initial withdrawal and "I'm Boreds", they'll find something to do.

If you have board games, books and building blocks they'll be fine. Maybe make a trek to the local thrift store and see if you can find some surplus Legos, even some "dress up clothes". And also just the good old outdoors.

Keep us posted on how things go :)

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:58:27 AM  Show Profile
I want to congratulate you on your great choice. We made the same decision a while ago but finally bucked up and it has been off since right before Christmas. I have 4 kids ranging from6-16. Over the Holiday they have built forts, jumped for hours on the trampoline, drawn, wrote video scrips, made stupid movies and just put thier creative imagination muscles to work. Plus, if they get "bored" there are plenty of chores. I also hope to develope those muscles myself

LisaTwo-
The Secret Life of an American Teenager is one of the media propaganda industry programs that amplifies all the worldly views of sex, partnership, unbiblical relationships and presents them in a fashion that is intreging and tempting to teenagers. We had to sit down with my step daughter and daughter to discuss what value it had and they came to the conclusion (although not easily) that it really had little.

With continual viewing of things that "arent that bad" will slowly if not faster corrupt our very principals that many claim "I would NEVER do that!" And the commercials are worse..a watch company had a very sexual ad that showed two females rubbing all over a male in the middlewhat... it's time to sell immorality

I am proud of you AlyssaMarie. and LisaTwo, I wouldnt let your service agreement make the choice for you. The hardest things to do are normally the right ones.

Maybe we could start a thread. Life with-out TV. Ideas, withdrawl, etc.

....steps down off soap box....

If your daughters would like pen pals to pass time I have 2 that would like a pen pal. 15 and 16yrs.

{{squeezes}}
Kayce

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)

Edited by - Kayce on Jan 05 2010 10:42:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  1:07:04 PM  Show Profile
We have a TV in almost every room, We only get 7 channels and thats plenty for me. I love to listen to music but was raised with the tv on from the time we got up until bedtime. I did have a wonderful friend who raised 7 children with out any TV they were and I bet still are the most respectable, quiet, hardworking children you could fine. My DH can't even fall asleep unless the TV is on and I wear earplugs to bed. Good luck, I think it's wonderful that your even trying it for a year, who knows the children may not want it back.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  5:19:21 PM  Show Profile
We have TV but don't pay for cable, only want what we can get for free over the air. Right now, since we moved and forgot to pack the Digital converter, we've done without any TV at all for 3 weeks and don't really miss it.

If I really need a fix of CSI or Bones, I can get it from Hulu.com. That's enough to keep me happy for another week or so.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  7:40:07 PM  Show Profile
My kids are all up and out of the house ,so it is just my husband and myself but we turned the tv off over a year ago and I have not missed it at all. like above if I need to see something I go to hulu.com and see it for free.

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  06:19:33 AM  Show Profile
Its not bad. We watch PBS and dvd's. No commercials barging in on DS. When we went to the mountains this summer, we stayed in a condo with all the cable channels....surprisingly, there still wasnt much to watch. I dont miss it.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  06:32:38 AM  Show Profile
My DH wants to shut it off and I say OK! So far, he hasn't...I rarely watch it. I do like the RFD channel, they have Living the Country Life shows which I record with the DVR. We also watch Glenn Beck by recording it and watch it at supper. I listen to music and get so much more done. Both of my children are grown and gone so that is not the problem. My DH needs to get up and off that chair and do something! We recently have been playing some board games in the evenings, which is quite nice and peaceful. We pay over $80 for satellite TV! That could buy a lot of seeds, craft supplies, etc... I am also shocked by the sexual content in the advertisements. There was an ad that had a woman and two men, half clothed and some maid walks in and is shocked. The ad was for a designer watch! LOL

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  06:48:33 AM  Show Profile
I've been trying to get my DH to ditch cable for a while now. We recently moved to Cheyenne and are living in an apartment. The first month we didn't even have a TV in the place. When we finally did bring up the TV we hooked it up with the digital converter and can pick up a whopping two channels! But they are the two channels we watch the programming on so DH decided NOT to get cable. Yea! Why pay over $60.00/month when there really isn't anything worth watching? DH is like so many others, just wants the noise and radio provides that. I wish more people would ditch cable or satellite. Then maybe the programming execs would start bringing back shows that are worth watching and not these so called "reality" shows or the veilled attempts to influence your world view.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  12:54:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey there! I actually haven't had a TV for two years. I usually use youtube or DVDs if we want to watch something. By the way, my parent's had us TV free for a short time when we were young. I think this was probably one of the better things that happened to us. We played board games, drew, went outside, and did special fun projects with our parents and alone. YOu might want to check out some homeschooling project guides, often they have fun project ideas for kids, which work whether you homeschool or not. Hope this helps!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.wildatheartart.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

NEXT RADIO SHOW: Jan 17th ~ Suzanne McMinn/Chickens In the Road

www.bigtownfarmer.com

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  1:01:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies! My name is Linda, a newbie. I recently located from Calif to Kansa. Paying a fortune here for cable. I want to get brave and ditch it eventually too!! Just not quite there yet. The thing is, nearly everything worthwhile is on dvd now anyway. It does seem crazy to pay the huge prices of cable. You can watch most things on the computer now too? Gosh, think I am trying to talk myself into letting it go!
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  1:01:53 PM  Show Profile
Ditto, Ditto,Ditto girls. We are getting rid of Satellite TV on the 20th of this month. We pay about $80 for 150 channels of "nothing to watch" and are tired of it. DH loves military, Sci-fi and News. We can get news from radio and PC. We & our furkids love classical music and listen to NPR. We are going with Netflix and our Local Library for movies. TV encourages us to sit too much and nibble. Don't need that! So..."Cutting the Idiot-Box umbilical cord!"

Farmgirl Sister# 905
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  1:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
you are so brave! I know i would not miss it, i would just miss the noise it makes. But i have an antique radio i'll turn on when the bf in out doing barn work. He's the one that is addicted to it. I would love to just have it shut off. That would save 70 dollars a month!!! I hate writing out that check. Its something i never watch. So its just kind of like throwing money out the widow. When we do have kids, i would love to get it shut off so they can concentrate more on books, schoolwork and family but the bf is addicted to it and i know he would never go for it. UGH!! :)

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Check out my ETSY store too! I'm loving it!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Claudiascraftshop
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  1:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies, Thanks for all your fabulous support and advice! My 4 year old is having a great time playing with his Trio building set. Finally those Christmas gifts will get played with before they out grow them! As for me, I'm snuggling my sick 2 month old daughter this morning and enjoying watching her sleep. And as a bonus my MJF magazine arrived in yesterdays mail - so I'm starting out better than ok. I'm thinking of getting a sheet of paper for the fridge and writing "Things To Do Other Than Watch TV" and then adding to it for the next year.

Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  02:23:27 AM  Show Profile
I AM GOING TO ADMIT IT!!..... THIS FAMILY WOULD DIE WITHOUT THE TUBE!!! They would. They would shrivel up and keel over. WHY? you ask.... News, baseball, football, Bill O'Reilly, Dirty Jobs, and American Choppers.. I know, it's sad. I wish we could just have a radio [most of the time]. I hate it that my family prefers to sit around the al'mightly electronic box.

Sigh....

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Check out my blog!! http://thehappycalamity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile
Don't feel bad Jamie, It took my husband a long time to agree because with the stress of his job, it was his chance to sit in the evening and zone out and let his mind rest. Finances really pushed it over the edge in our house. If it really bothers you, maybe try just turning it off for a few hours while you do something as a family??

Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  09:27:42 AM  Show Profile
We have been without TV for almost 4 years now. We were worried we would miss the news/weather, and how our son, 10 at the time, would react. It turned out to be such a blessing turning off the TV, and we've never looked back. We too were worried about the programs that were on, and how they were influencing our son. There is peace of mind not having that worry anymore. And life without the nightly news has actually been nice too. Didn't realize how negative news reporting was getting and how we felt after watching it. We stay current with the newspaper, and aren't putting ourselves to bed at night on all that is going wrong in our world. We have all taken a new interest in reading, and it been great to share what we are reading, it has definately brought us closer as a family. We also play board games, and do a lot of crafting. Our son is 14 now and doing just fine. He enjoys writing, and would love to find a pen pal if there is anyone out there interested in exchanging letters with a 14yr old ranch kid. Sending you all encouragement in making this big decision~
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  03:39:54 AM  Show Profile
The better decision we made was to go wireless on the computer and make it speedier. My nightly dial-up meltdowns were too much.

So these days, what w/ forums like this and Facebook? Who has time for t.v. If you need a fix and can't or don't want to spend $$ on cable? Try Hulu.com It's packed FULL of all kidns of free t.v shows and movies you can download.

Some evenings I get so preoccupied with FB, I'll look at the clock and it's already 9:00!
Go to Top of Page

ShirleyM
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Shirley
Indiana
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  06:17:04 AM  Show Profile
We haven't had "tv" for over 2 years. We do watch movies, but have no tv service. We started out just putting our satellite on HOLD during the summer months and then decided it just didn't give us $80 worth of enjoyment anytime. We own, borrow and rent DVDs. Sometimes I worry that we have just replaced it with "computers"...everyone in my house has their own laptop. So instead of sitting in one room glued to the tube, we are in separate rooms glued to separate tubes...? We've tried to do "board game nights" etc. but our teenagers/young adults don't really seem to be into it...it's almost like they put up with it until we let them go back to their computers...not as much of an issue in the warm months as we are all outdoors and busy, but in the winter it feels like everyone is in their own cave around here :)

Shirley

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO_HOO! What a ride!
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  07:16:21 AM  Show Profile
I was affriad that everyone would gravitate to their computers. We also have laptops for everyone. A couple things that help with that in my house is : they are not allowed in there rooms.
I just say "off the computers" lol...im the one thats on it most o time. (im addicted to MJF)

It is a funny sight at times when we are all sitting at the dinning room table with laptops up. Sometimes doin different things but other times we are playing a PVP game together. (The only one this household is allowed to play is very family friendly)

Learning to appreciate having a glass..not half full or empty..just thankful for a glass :)
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  07:28:49 AM  Show Profile
Good for you. We went without a tv at all for about 4 years when we were still raising children. It was so much more peaceful. I turn it all off and listen to music lots of times. I like some classical and old fashioned hymns. We are deep in Texas so there is always country music available for lots of laughs in a lot of it. I usually like peaceful. What I really like is to open the windows in spring and early summer and just listen to the birds. I agree with nothing to watch on all of those channels. There really aren't many movies to watch either.... or at least ones that I like.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Kayce
True Blue Farmgirl

290 Posts

Kayce
Sebring FL
USA
290 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  08:44:23 AM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about movies.

Lol, we have stupid movie night on Saturday Eve. We pick from the cheap bin $2-$5. We have watched SOME STUPID movies. However we have found that really old movies (before all the special effects) are quite enjoyable and funny

Go to Top of Page

craftbug
True Blue Farmgirl

545 Posts

Patsy
Clarkson Kentucky
USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  10:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Send craftbug a Yahoo! Message
We raised our 5 without tv til they were in their teens.Then it was limited time and we picked what they could watch. We even went without a phone in the house for a while. Talk about peaceful! :)

Make my words soft and tender, for I may have to eat them. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic We turned off the TV - service that is! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page