Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Fabric/ The Cost!!! pinkroses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fabric/ The Cost!!! pinkroses Next Topic
Page: of 2

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  11:40:10 AM  Show Profile
We have only one quilting store in our area and a
JoAnn's fabric store.
I can't believe how high the basic 100% cotton has gone up
most is Almost $7.00 or more a yard
and if your wanting quilting fabric especially called quilting fabric
some are $8.00 / $9.00 and higher a yard !!!
What is a farm girl suppose to do???
Grant it I have a collection for quilting;
but suppose I want to make a special apron.
I have to pay at lest $6 something a yard.
I only use the 100% cotton in my aprons.
So,
I may as well go to my quilting store and get the really good quality there/ and or order it on line.
JoAnn's sale's people say that the fabric is better quality
Well,
it is the same. I have some I brought years ago. only a lot cheaper.
Who are they trying to fool?
What do you think
Is JoAnn's becoming to be to expensive to buy ? hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativewritings.blogspot.com

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  12:34:14 PM  Show Profile
The only thing close to me is a little quilt shop, and you do pay 6-9 dollars a yard. I did venture out to Joannes a few months ago and did not like the quality of the fabric I needed compared to the sample I bought and the fact that it was a 45 minute wait to cut fabric.
I do not know what the answer is, I am trying to use up what I have. Thee prices for fabric have really gone up. I have had some luck at getting fabric at thrift stores, but only when I haven't been looking. Good luck

Forget buns of steel, I'd rather have buns of cinnamon!

Farmgirl #680!
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  12:35:28 PM  Show Profile
Wait for the sales at JoAnn's. You can get it for less then and, unless you want your apron to last forever, it is good enough. However, if you are going to make a quilt, well, it would be more expensive at a quilt shop and although I may open a worm can here, the fabric is better quality than at JoAnn's/Hancock's. Some of it is the same, but most is not. The quilt shop fabric is made on higher quality greige goods (the woven fabric before it goes through the finishing process) so will last longer. When I started quilting about 15 years ago, the good stuff at the quilt shop (Hoffman's, Alexander Henry's, etc.) were 6.95/yard and that was expensive. So, I think that as everything else increases in price, so too does our beloved fabric.

Just my 2 cents . . .

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  12:43:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Shelia
You are very fortunate with 2 fabric stores. The only one we had was at Wal-Mart and they closed it. Now the closest stores we have are Hancock's, about 38 miles away and Joann's which is about 65-70 miles away. I don't drive any more than the 38 miles, so to go any further than that I just don't do it. I usually have to ask one of my daughters or my husband to take me. When you add how much it costs me in gas plus the amount of the fabric and the tax I believe it would be cheaper for me to order online. And, it looks like I'm going to have to start doing that. I make cloth dolls. Fabric prices have gone out the roof and I hate that you can't find what you want. Then, if you need buttons or lace or anything else, good luck. Oh well. I'll just have to make do for now.

Anyway, you have a very blessed day.

Donna

LIVE simply, LOVE generously, CARE deeply, SPEAK kindly...Leave the rest to God.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  12:58:25 PM  Show Profile
I agree with most of all of your advice
you know sometimes you have to just do what you think is best I suppose
adding up the cost to make it ; the desire of it
and of course the miles you have to go to get it.
I don't think it is fair!
I don't buy to much fabric any more because of the prices
and I do wait for the sales/ if I have money left ha. hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page

ridgebird
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

willow
MO
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  1:30:42 PM  Show Profile
The price for fabric a yard is unreal. Maybe I am just old school, but to me 9.00 a yard at 25% off is not a good deal. That was the price I paid Sat at Joanns for Valentine fabric. I have tried to buy off line, but I really like to touch the fabric before I buy. I do have a good pile of fabric I have collected. But a girl likes pretty cotton prints. Oh well we all need some vices. Ha!!
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  2:06:03 PM  Show Profile
I have not bought any fabric from these 3 websites, but they seem to have it cheaper:
http://www.beverlys.com/fabric &

http://www.fabric.com/Index.aspx &

http://www.paylessfabric.com/servlet/the-Apparel-Fabrics-cln-Cotton/Categories

I had them bookmarked. I plan on trying them in the future though.
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://naturemaidenbathbodyproduct.blogspot.com/(Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Edited by - naturemaiden on Jan 04 2010 2:08:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  2:51:16 PM  Show Profile
As someone who has been sewing for most of her life (wearables, home decor, aprons, bags, some quilted items, even made my own wedding gown), I've learned you get what you pay for. Brand name fabrics (whether from Joann's or a privately owned quilt shop--there are no independent fabric stores left in the Northeast) generally are of better quality but cost more. I like to touch fabric before buying, so I don't buy online. Check out yard and estate sales. Sometimes people sell their stash. Sewing is no longer cost effective--have you seen the price of a Vogue pattern!?! Sewing is creative, a statement of oneself. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  4:06:21 PM  Show Profile
I have purchased fabric, online, from www.fabric.com. The fabric is high quality. You can shop by designer-such as Hoffman's, Alexander Henry's, Marcus Brothers, etc. They carry about 18 different designers. They have 1st quality fabric that you can buy for under $5.00. They always have some fabric on sale for 20-50% off. Shipping is free for orders over $35.00. They are very quick with shipping. There have been many times that I've ordered a 1/2 yard of fabric to receive more than that amount, especially if it is a bolt end. I've only had one time where they didn't send me the correct fabric. It was a yard of novelty fabric and when I called them to alert them of the mistake, they sent me the correct fabric, within two days, and they told me to keep the other fabric. There is also a guarentee on the fabric. I've never ordered anything that was so off in color or design from what they advertised. I've had nothing but good experiences with this company. They have so much to choose from that there is generally something for everyone! Hope this helps.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  4:36:39 PM  Show Profile
I've purchased from fabric.com too and been happy with their fabric. I've looked around at thousandsofbolts.com but haven't purchased there. Oh and of course there is always repurposing sheets/pillowcases/and other clothing from the thrift store.

I suppose I should just check my stash first.
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  4:49:44 PM  Show Profile
I always grab fabric when i visit the thrift store, i love it!
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://naturemaidenbathbodyproduct.blogspot.com/(Business Blog)

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/(Personal blog)

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  5:01:53 PM  Show Profile
I'll second the vote for fabric.com as well. I have been buying from them for years and have never had a fabric I didn't like. I can't say that for JoAnns as I have bought stuff that was off grain and gave me fits and I have had them short me yardage with no warning and send dirty, damaged bolt ends (this unfortunately was the organza overlay for the wedding gown I made last summer). Did you know Fabric.com is a subsidiary of Amazon? (this happened last spring). I agree with the prices giving one sticker shock but not as much as a new sewing machine - mine was as much as a good used car.....

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  6:02:30 PM  Show Profile
Some of the reason that things like that are getting so high is to force consumers into buying already made things. With the economy being the way it is, most places don't see homemade items as being good for sales boosting the economy. The closest JoAnns to me is over 45 minutes away, but when the sales are on, I get some pretty good deals. I keep my eyes open for Walmart fabric, but they are slowly phasing out that section in most places.
Hopefully, it will become sewer friendly again when the economy picks up again. It can't last on the downgo forever!
hugs
Jess

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.

www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  6:13:25 PM  Show Profile
I don't have ANY fabric stores... so, I do my shopping online and buy from Fabrics.com!
You won't be disappointed!
They'll work with you if you need. ..for matching up correct colors and such!

:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures

Edited by - Karrieann on Jan 05 2010 04:37:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red River Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

183 Posts

Nancy
Ardmore Oklahoma
USA
183 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  9:30:44 PM  Show Profile
I agree, fabric is outragious, remember when we use to say ~ it is hard to buy clothing when you can make it so much cheaper?~ Those were the days...I do buy thrift shop fabrics when I can find them, I also check on ebay and have gotten pretty good deals. As long as I know the maker of the fabric like say aunt grace, I know it is good quality. I make ALOT out of sheets, pillowcases, tablecloths, curtains...ect. I am going to check out the fabrics.com! Thanks!

~Count your blessings instead of sheep~ (Bing Crosby) ~Nancy~
SANTA BRIGADE
http://santabrigade.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  11:31:10 PM  Show Profile
I won't pay those prices for fabric, but then again I am not working on anything "high end" either. I visited a thrift store last week and bought 2 boxes of material (some fabric, some sheets, pillow cases, etc) and only paid $40. The boxes are the ones like you buy a case of copy paper in. I was thrilled! I got lots of wonderful gingham, plaids, solids and florals. I have enough for many many projects and I made sure and got only cotton or flannel which is what I was looking for anyway.
I am all about buying and re-purposing as much as possible.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!
I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

createmyworld
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Beth
Akron PA
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  06:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I guess I'm really fortunate, as I live in the heart of amish country... I have a selection of fabric stores from which to choose, including one called the PA fabric outlet, which has some amazing deals... I almost never pay the full $6 to $9/yard costs unless it's something I just have to have!... I'm a remnant and discount bin shopper, and with the fabric outlet, my studio is always packed with more gorgeous fabric than I know what to do with!, but if I see something I like at a good price, I can't pass it up cause I'll probably never see it again! If any of you ladies ever get the chance to visit Lancaster, PA... send me an email and I'll clue you in to all of my favorite fabric haunts! :0)

www.createmyworld.etsy.com
http://www.soopsee.com/profile/createmyworld/

"He who works with his hands is a laborer, he who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who works with his hands, head and heart is an artist." -St. Francis of Asisi
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  12:56:20 PM  Show Profile
When you shop at Fabric.com be sure to sign up for the newsletter/deal of the day. You get great sales and a new special every day.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  2:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Wow
I got some intersting advice
I have check out the fabric .com
and will check out the others
thanks so much for all the advice
I need to get my fabric out of the garage.
they are in heavy plastic containers
as well as my yarns.
I have no place to put things
one day I hope to have a sewing room
hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page

catgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Denise
New Market AL
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  4:19:17 PM  Show Profile
Thrift stores are good and dont forget yard sales! Also for those of you who dont know Hobby Lobby now has a store on line!

Denise

http://nittinfool.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  9:57:56 PM  Show Profile
...I have forgotten about another fabric place! Connecting Threads! Most of their fabrics are at $5.96 per yard! beautiful fabrics!

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Quilting.cfm

:o)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My etsy: Yesterday's Scraps, Tomorrow's Treasures http://www.etsy.com/shop/2TomorrowsTreasures
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  09:47:17 AM  Show Profile
I have purchased things from Connecting threads before
I get their catlogs.
I agree to with the cost of patterns
I wait for JoAnn's pattern's sale
I can remember when they had them for 99 cents for those sales
now they are higher even with the sales ! hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  11:25:43 AM  Show Profile
I just bought 10 1/2 yards of fabric from Fabric. com and was very sastified with what I recieved. Do remember to sign up for their newsletter, some of their deal of the days are pretty good. Also if you spend 35 dollars or more the shipping is free!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  12:07:26 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking about this thread yesterday when I stopped to pick up some fabric at the five and dime store. It's a very small store specific to the town where I work and their selection isn't huge, but I got some wonderful cotton fabric there for $1.79 a yard. They have gathered lace 3 yds for a $1.00 and eyelet .79 a yard.

I also try to get to Hancock fabrics when they are running their after season sales. Right now they have all holiday fabric for 40% off.

I've bought some great fabric from Denver Fabrics on-line also. And they are eternally running some kind of sale.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  08:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Great suggestions! I'm going to bookmark fabrics.com. Dianne

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  09:08:34 AM  Show Profile
Sarha
You are very lucky to be able to have that five and dime left and those prices are really good.
Our thrift stores don't usually have any kind of fabric or crafts. hugs sheila

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fabric/ The Cost!!! pinkroses Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page