Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Jam making question Next Topic  

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  08:54:44 AM  Show Profile
Sunday night my boyfriend's sister and I made jam. (yes I know it isn't the right season but we wanted to give it a try) We made strawberry, raspberry and marmalade. My question is, why did the pieces of strawberry stay at the top? Does this always happen and you are just supposed to mix it before using it? Is it supposed to settle for a bit in between adding pectin and canning?

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  09:44:52 AM  Show Profile
You have to stir your jam and let it cool a little before jarring it, or your fruit will float. Making jam is so satisfying, isn't it.
Di

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  12:23:34 PM  Show Profile
I love making jam and jellies. I can't wait until late summer when the prickly pears are ready and make some cactus jelly. That is some awesome jelly. I just got a new cookbook, Cooking in Quilt Country, and there are several jelly and jam recipes I can't wait to try...oooh and homemade apple butter!! yum!!
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  12:31:36 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it was so much fun! We didn't know what we were doing since no one had ever taught us how to but once you know what to do it is so simple! Thank you, Diane, for the tip on cooling it. That is where we went wrong. I'm sure it will taste ok...maybe just stir it up a bit this time but now we know for next time! Can't wait to try again!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  12:50:14 PM  Show Profile
There is no season on jam making! I make it all year round. Yes, let it cool before jarring it for better results but it still tastes good! lol

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  1:19:22 PM  Show Profile
While we're on the subject, has anyone ever used a product called 'Magic Pectin' made from citrus rind? I was reading an old Mother Earth News magazine last night and there was an article on it. It says you don't need near the sugar to make your jam set if you use this. I'd like to give it a try if it truly works.
Di

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Jam making question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page