Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anybody love Humorous reading? Next Topic  

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  09:48:23 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I are addicted to an English writer of humorous satire. His books are usually listed under fantasy. He is Terry Pratchett and writes for both adults and children. The series we have been stuck in for several years is "The Disc World" series. He places his stories in a fantasy world but uses real situations to fuel his very humorous look at human nature in all its costumes. We love his stories and often laugh until there are tears rolling down our faces. We can often picture someone very real in these situations. He has a new addition out in the series "Going Postal" If you have not read any of these I would highly recommend reading them. I do not think you have to start with the first in the series although you get a better picture of where each book comes from if you do.If you need a good laugh, This is the series for you!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  10:30:44 AM  Show Profile
Funny you should mention him! There sitting on the desk in my son's room is "The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents"! We have heard half of this book because as he's reading he will say "Listen to this..." or "Wait til you hear this ,this guy is crazy!" I guess I will have to check out the adult version of his humor, thanks Eileen!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2004 :  7:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Bramble,
Funny about that! We were introduced in much the same way except that we were captive audienc in the car as we drove cross country to Wisconsin for our Daughters Wedding on Lake Superior. Our Middle son was reading one of the adult ones and had us laughing till our sides ached all the way across country. The only break we got was when he was the designated driver.After that he gave us his own personal copies to read until he ran out of them and we had to start getting them from the library. Our library is small and did not have them so would get them from other libraries until we finally convinced them that they were worth having. Now we have to wait in line to get the new copies due to their popularity. Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2004 :  05:24:42 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like I will definitely check these books out... We all need humor in our lives!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Anybody love Humorous reading? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page