Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 new spinning wheel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic new spinning wheel Next Topic  

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  08:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
sometimes i cant believe im aloowed on the computer! i initially posted this in the barnyard buddy site?
oh well, as my kids say, mom will have to join the 20th century before we can drag her into the 21st.
i will soon be purchasing a spinning wheel
and i would love any advise from anyone who has made such a purchase from a computer site.i will primarily be starting with mohair and mohair blends.any advise, sites or if you sell wheels, please email me.
my profile has been updated as i had an old email address on there and now the new improved email, which works , is on my profile.
thanks for any help you can give me on this.
fran

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  09:27:08 AM  Show Profile
crud..I didn't even notice and answered you on the barnyard site..haha
I have extra mohair if you want to try some. It is raw (from my little angora doeling, Pearl) It is white.
I recomended my favorite spinning shop online.. www.villagespinweave.com. I won't repeat all I said on the other answer...but do read it if you want.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  2:57:19 PM  Show Profile
I tried to learn to spin using my Angora rabbit wool and I had some problems. The lady who sold me the wheel laughed and said I should start with sheep's wool, then when I had the spinning down, go to a more slippery fiber like Angora. That worked well for me.

I've never had the pleasure of spinning mohair (from an Angora goat) so I don't know which way it would tend - more like sheep's wool, or more like Angora rabbit wool?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  2:59:52 PM  Show Profile
It is easier than angora is...alot longer and not as fine...but slipperier than wool so I guess in between. It isn't as elastic as wool but sure is pretty.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2006 :  7:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks again. i know there are some spining-fiber places in fredricksburg but that is a little far for me.
i will try and find a local place in dallas, which is only 70 miles away.
i have a small herd of colored angoras, well i have 10, and 3 are white, but the others are assorted colors.
i have done some felting, and needle felting, but i will have so much wool that i really want to spin....and actually i have been wanting to spin for about 30 years, so i guess i need to just jump in there.
i will look up some of the sites and see what they are like.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic new spinning wheel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page